IGNORED

The Switch Thread

It's very strange to me that Mario Golf Super Rush just came out and the price has already dropped to $50.99 on Amazon and Best Buy. I can't tell if it's because they have to compete with Walmart selling it for $49.99 in-store or if it's because it's not selling well. As far as I can tell, plenty of people already bought it. 

Anyway, I was itching to play it but I hadn't bought it yet. Seeing it $50.99 at Best Buy with in-store pick up and the bag tag preorder bonus included, plus I had a $5 reward credit over there... well I'm picking it up today. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

It's very strange to me that Mario Golf Super Rush just came out and the price has already dropped to $50.99 on Amazon and Best Buy. I can't tell if it's because they have to compete with Walmart selling it for $49.99 in-store or if it's because it's not selling well. As far as I can tell, plenty of people already bought it. 

Anyway, I was itching to play it but I hadn't bought it yet. Seeing it $50.99 at Best Buy with in-store pick up and the bag tag preorder bonus included, plus I had a $5 reward credit over there... well I'm picking it up today. 

UK physical sales show it selling 17.5% more copies than Mario Aces, and don't see why other territories wouldn't experiencing similar sales. At least this is happening with 30 days of release so people who bought it day 1 can return/rebuy.

That is is interesting seeing nearly a $10 price drop so fast, that's not normal.  I want to agree it's fighting Walmart, but they didn't battle them over previous $60 games.  And if Aces sold at X rate and Golf is that percent higher, is that during the first week of sale, or are you comparing over another time frame?

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That is is interesting seeing nearly a $10 price drop so fast, that's not normal.  I want to agree it's fighting Walmart, but they didn't battle them over previous $60 games.  And if Aces sold at X rate and Golf is that percent higher, is that during the first week of sale, or are you comparing over another time frame?

First week.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/449512/mario-golf-super-rush-debuts-in-1st-on-the-uk-charts/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Stopped by Gamestop to let the boys pick out Hot Wheels and noticed quite a really great prices.  Definitely look it up.

I dropped over $200 over the weekend on their buy 2 get 1 sale. Some for trading back in, some for selling, and 1 or 2 for keeping.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Aguy said:

I dropped over $200 over the weekend on their buy 2 get 1 sale. Some for trading back in, some for selling, and 1 or 2 for keeping.

They're doing another thing now.  Ori's for $28, Metro for $18, Amular for $20, Persona for $35, etc.  Think some big ones like Odyssey were gonna be $35 too.

35 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

They're doing another thing now.  Ori's for $28, Metro for $18, Amular for $20, Persona for $35, etc.  Think some big ones like Odyssey were gonna be $35 too.

Those are some good deals. Odyssey was $25 each with B2G1.

Oof... I was hoping for bigger, redesigned Joycons... Just a screen upgrade, nah it's not enough. I'll probably buy the Hori Pro Joycons instead to attach to my existing Switch, if they're any good.

This doesn't seem like much of an upgrade at all tbh, I'm a little disappointed... But, then again I'm not itching to give Nintendo another 300 bucks, so maybe it's for the best, lol! 😅

Events Team · Posted
38 minutes ago, jonebone said:

Seems meh, the only thing I thought for sure they would do is 4k and clearly that didn't happen.  Seems like a Switch 1.1 instead of Switch 2.0, very incremental.

Out of all the rumors about the Switch Pro, the part about it being able to run 4K docked is the part that was least believable to me, personally. Even with an upgrade, the Switch would never be able to run stuff at 4K unless you'd be satisfied with like 10-15 FPS, so it would've had to have utilized DLSS or something similar, and frankly given how laughably poor Nintendo's online currently is, and given that the internals of the Switch were already a bit out of date when it first came out back in 2017, I'm not sure Nintendo is fully up to speed with newer tech like DLSS, as cool as that would've been, haha.

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

It’s like the 3DS XL. Bigger screen, different frame but still similar internals.

Honestly "Switch XL" would've been a better name than "Switch (OLED Model)" I think, haha.

Oh well, no real major reason for me to upgrade it seems so I suppose I'll continue rocking my launch day gray Switch. Maybe I'll just keep it throughout the entire lifespan of the Switch. That'd be a first for me, getting a console at launch and only using that console for it's entire lifespan.

• Like 1

Just now, MiamiSlice said:

It’s like the 3DS XL. Bigger screen, different frame but still similar internals.

Kind of, but the 3DSXL was a HUGE size increase over the regular, not just in terms of the screens but also spreading the controls out to make them more comfortable too. Like, I couldn't WAIT to get a 3DSXL after playing my regular for so long, it was a BIG quality of life improvement, IMO.

This one is MUCH more modest increment tbh. Frankly the better comparison is between the GBA SP 001 and the 101. It'll be nice for people who haven't bought a Switch yet, but I doubt there will be many people who already have one who will be clamouring for this new one.

The Switch update announcement makes me happy because I won't need to buy it.  Most of the improvements seem to be for handheld mode which I don't use, and while my kids use handheld a lot, they won't care (or know) about the updates.  Overall, the improvements seem like a great idea and if I didn't already have two Switches, I would certainly be getting this, but it's not enough for me to want to upgrade.  

Also, I'm glad it isn't a hardware upgrade.  From the first rumors of a Switch Pro, I've been saying that a hardware upgrade would be a bad idea.  

Also, also, while I certainly don't plan to buy it or really need one, my birthday is two days before launch if anyone wants to get me a birthday present. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Yeah but this isn't just a handheld it's a console.  I play in console mode exclusively so bigger screen doesn't matter to me.  You'd have to get some kind of technological upgrade factored in if you're trying to appeal to the Switch as a console crowd.  This is targeted for the handheld crowd I suppose.

• Like 1

I play mostly in handheld but I'm skipping this. If I hadn't just recently upgraded to the V2 model, I might have been more interested solely because of the increased battery life over the launch model. But increasing the screen size without increasing the resolution or the systems ability to push constant 720p seems like a waste. Imagine playing The Witcher 3 or Outer Worlds in a larger nicer screen at 540p...

That being said, at least we don't have to listen to daily Switch rumors anymore.

• Like 1