IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I'm just saying intelligent people tend to be on the right side of most things at the same time.

However, I know plenty of people that have views on one subject that would be considered left, and on another subject that would be considered right. Kinda comes with the territory in Nebraska. Yea, some people are brainwashed by Fox News, CNN, FACEBOOK worse than most I think. But a lot of Americans have educated informed opinions. Including the majority of people in this thread, whether I agree with them or not, who you told to "get a brain". 🙄

I don't doubt many people have educated informed opinions, but many data points backing up those opinions are manipulated. When you look at some of these incidents with police,  look at how the media covers them and what parts of videos or the story they conveniently leave out to back up their version of events.

19 minutes ago, Rhino said:

There you go again trying to manipulate data to make your point. Out of those who watch the news, the most watched channel is fox, even from the source you quoted. Try harder.

"For the fourth year in a row, Fox News Channel finished 2019 as the most-watched network on cable, according to Nielsen’s Live + Same Day ratings."

I don't doubt that Fox has more viewers than any single other news source.

But that's still not most viewers out of all news viewers. Even throwing in CNN it doesn't add up to more than about 20% of all TV news viewers. 80% are getting their news from a source other than Fox or CNN.

Most people get their TV news from local TV news. While less than Fox individually, in the aggregate, they are most viewers of news. 

Edited by Tulpa

1 hour ago, Rhino said:

Lol. Can you be not racist and think global warming is real? All Republicans are racist based on the democratic branding of them. Can you support lgtbq+ rights and be pro gun? No no no. Make it stop. The intermixing of both party sides hurts. Obey. Obey. Must....obey....

I mean, those literally are all my viewpoints. Are you listening in on my Alexa? How did you find me?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Yeah, and every pizza I've ordered for the past 22 years has had anchovies on it, though by in large, I'd never attempt to claim it was the "American" pizza.

Either way, it's really not a French Canadian's place to be deciding what a USA American style pizza is, mushrooms or not, which circles back to my previous point:

There must be at least 10 completely distinct American styles of pizza...

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

So go with the Associated Press, Reuters, or any in the center of this chart.

Media-Bias-Chart-6.0_Low_Res_Licensed.jp

I mean? The problem with judging someone because of their bias is that some biases are much more closer to reality than others. 

I like the way they group Democracy Now, the Jacobin, and the intercept together, I am cool with that. But my bs detector starts going odf when I see Msnbc in the same grouping.

Administrator · Posted

I am disappointed in the level of snarkiness and semantics over the last few pages.  Cmon...let’s be better than that!  There has been some good discussion in here - let’s not let it get buried or fogotten amidst tit-for-tat pettiness, shall we?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I am disappointed in the level of snarkiness and semantics over the last few pages.  Cmon...let’s be better than that!  There has been some good discussion in here - let’s not let it get buried or fogotten amidst tit-for-tat pettiness, shall we?

DISAGREE.

The thread is finally heating up again, don't put a damper on it now!

spacer.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If Trump loses we're gonna have a significant number of people in this country who are convinced the"radical Marxist mentally ill liberals" are gonna destroy us all.  Right wing social media and the Breitbarts of the world are gonna whip them into a frenzy.

And if the Rs still have the Senate, they're gonna work mostly to appease their base: stopping everything that comes their way from the Democrats.

The next 4 years are gonna be dysfunctional as hell, at best 

Frankly that's probably the best scenario we could hope for. Mere disfunction is way better than our current borderline chaos we're dealing with.

The senate will keep them from passing whatever extreme crap they wanna push through while we reep the benefits of having something resembling a leader. Biden may not be in the best cognitive health, but even senility is better than blatantly ego driven whining and science denial.

Edited by Jono1874
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I am disappointed in the level of snarkiness and semantics over the last few pages.  C'mon...let’s be better than that!  There has been some good discussion in here - let’s not let it get buried or forgotten amidst tit-for-tat pettiness, shall we?

To be frank I have been dealing with this type of misinformation for 15 years (after I was diagnosed with Asperger's) and more than 15 years prior. The problem is that a lot of opinions made on both sides are based on the emotional end of said spectrum, and not anything else. I mean the debate on who the Republicans and Democrats are these days is pretty much something you'd find on You Can't Do That on Television. 🤔

1 hour ago, FenrirZero said:

To be frank I have been dealing with this type of misinformation for 15 years (after I was diagnosed with Asperger's) and more than 15 years prior. The problem is that a lot of opinions made on both sides are based on the emotional end of said spectrum, and not anything else. I mean the debate on who the Republicans and Democrats are these days is pretty much something you'd find on You Can't Do That on Television. 🤔

Actually on YCDTOT you'd find the debate being Conservatives vs Liberals (who interestingly use the opposite colors we in the US do) seeing as how it's a Canadian sketch comedy...speaking of which the Red Green Show rocks 🙂

BTW, *places hand on shoulder in show of friendship* I do happen to be a fellow Aspie (which before I was diagnosed in 2006 I had no clue there was such a thing, though it explained a lot about why I always felt "different" inside) 🙂   And NO, Eric Cartman, Aspergers does NOT mean we have burgers in our ass or pants 😛 

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Where do we draw the line, which are valid complaints, and the ones that aren't, why not?

I’ll turn this around and ask which complaints are not valid. cartman seems to think it’s all of them, and nothing should ever change, which, good luck lol. 

Do you really think anyone would complain in any of the examples you illustrated? 

6 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

There must be at least 10 completely distinct American styles of pizza...

Right, but it's not in the place for a French Canadian to be calling those shots as to what an American pizza is. I find it personally offensive, how now the stereotype in Taiwan might be that all Americans eat pizza containing BOTH pepperoni and mushrooms, despite me not knowing anyone personally who does. The pain it causes, trying to explain to people why this is just a false stereotype, then trying to explain even more when they just don't understand. 

2 hours ago, Link said:

I’ll turn this around and ask which complaints are not valid. cartman seems to think it’s all of them, and nothing should ever change, which, good luck lol. 

Do you really think anyone would complain in any of the examples you illustrated? 

I think they are all equally as valid as the others, which have been complaints (Apu's voice, for example).

Why do you feel these similar situations are not a big deal, not worthy of complaints, but Apu's voice is a huge issue, not to an actual Indian, rather to an Indian American.

Even though the man killed these guys to avenge some of the BLM poster children, I guess it doesn't "count" and isn't racist since they were police who were murdered?

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/cops-shot-brooklyn-sources-article-1.2051941

This was huge news when it first happened, surprised no one brought it up now. 

if I remember correctly, the problem with apu was more that he was an absolute caricature and stereotype of an Indian with the fact that his over the top accent was voiced by a while guy was a big fat exclamation point. Nobody knew just how big the Simpson's would become, and it became startling that Apu became the gold standard for Indians living in America. Obviously Indians aren't all like Apu, but the perception to the average American, yes they indeed were.

On a side note, Hank Azaria does over the top caricatures. That's what he has always been best at. Hell, he had me dying when I first saw The Birdcage and America's Sweethearts. And from what I gather, he is a passionate guy who loves all his characters. He probably had a mourning process when the heat was turned up on him to stop voicing apu. He eventually did after a couple months because it was the right thing to do. I must say though, I empathize with his loss. Apu is probably the most famous character he ever played, and for a while the most beloved. Even though America has grown past the point of this being acceptable and the character no longer honorable, it still must be tough to give up on.

On another side note. The only Black Characters that Matt stone and Trey Parker ever voiced were Chef's parents. Every other black character has been voiced by a blAck person.

On 6/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, Tulpa said:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

if I remember correctly, the problem with apu was more that he was an absolute caricature and stereotype of an Indian with the fact that his over the top accent was voiced by a while guy was a big fat exclamation point. Nobody knew just how big the Simpson's would become, and it became startling that Apu became the gold standard for Indians living in America. Obviously Indians aren't all like Apu, but the perception to the average American, yes they indeed were.

On a side note, Hank Azaria does over the top caricatures. That's what he has always been best at. Hell, he had me dying when I first saw The Birdcage and America's Sweethearts. And from what I gather, he is a passionate guy who loves all his characters. He probably had a mourning process when the heat was turned up on him to stop voicing apu. He eventually did after a couple months because it was the right thing to do. I must say though, I empathize with his loss. Apu is probably the most famous character he ever played, and for a while the most beloved. Even though America has grown past the point of this being acceptable and the character no longer honorable, it still must be tough to give up on.

On another side note. The only Black Characters that Matt stone and Trey Parker ever voiced were Chef's parents. Every other black character has been voiced by a blAck person.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, there is so much wrong with that, especially when accents are not drawn 100% based around racial lines.

I know some Taiwanense, for example, who try to sound "American" or "English" when speaking the English language, if one of these people then voices an English "white" character in a local film, would it be improper (well of course not by some claims, as it wouldn't 'count' if it were white), but I think the situation would still hold; on the other hand, the voice actor would just say he or she were trying to sound 'authentic' while speaking the language, can't really fault them for that. And if we do start making it a problem, it should be for every accent out there, every ethnic group / race. 

18 hours ago, Estil said:

What about it's better for 99 guilty to go free than one innocent person to get imprisoned or executed?  

We must ask George Zimmerman, Jason Van Dyke, Daniel Pantaleo, Timothy Loehmann, Richard Neri, Peter Liang, Michael Slager, Joseph Weekley, Matthew Kenny, Ray Tensing, Randall Kerrick, Joseph Dellose, and especially Nathan Woodyard. 

Did you know Elijah McClain used to play the violin for cats at the animal shelter? 

• Sad 2

I saw the Elijah McClain body cam footage. The cops should have gotten off of him. With that said, he was not compliant at the beginning and that led to escalation. Who doesn’t think it’s suspicious to be walking around at night with a ski mask on? Why didn’t he take off the mask? I’m sorry, but do you honestly think it’s appropriate to not comply with taking the mask off and explaining what he was doing? I’ve complied with the police, even when I thought they were on a power trip, because I know it is better not to escalate a situation, period. I’m not victim blaming. It is the cops’ fault he is dead. However, I won’t ignore the fact that he did not comply with simple requests and escalated the situation with his actions.

1 minute ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Who doesn’t think it’s suspicious to be walking around at night with a ski mask on? Why didn’t he take off the mask? I’m sorry, but do you honestly think it’s appropriate to not comply with taking the mask off and explaining what he was doing?

1 minute ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I’m not victim blaming.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

As I pointed out in an earlier post, there is so much wrong with that, especially when accents are not drawn 100% based around racial lines.

I know some Taiwanense, for example, who try to sound "American" or "English" when speaking the English language, if one of these people then voices an English "white" character in a local film, would it be improper (well of course not by some claims, as it wouldn't 'count' if it were white), but I think the situation would still hold; on the other hand, the voice actor would just say he or she were trying to sound 'authentic' while speaking the language, can't really fault them for that. And if we do start making it a problem, it should be for every accent out there, every ethnic group / race. 

There is a difference. Hank Azaria was instructed to make Apu sound offensive from the get go. He was never trying to sound authentic. There's a quote in here from a 2007 interview with Azaria that supports this. Apu was never meant to be an accurate representation. He was always meant to be offensive.

https://www.insider.com/apu-the-simpsons-racism-controversy-2018-4

• Like 3

Just now, CodysGameRoom said:

spacer.png

I understand what it means. It’s often used as an excuse to deflect legitimate responsibility for poor actions. I’m saying that if people believe he is not at all responsible for escalating that situation then they are ignorant.

Legitimate victim blaming would be saying that someone could just leave a situation but chooses not to, such as domestic violence.

4 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

I understand what it means. It’s often used as an excuse to deflect legitimate responsibility for poor actions. I’m saying that if people believe he is not at all responsible for escalating that situation then they are ignorant.

Legitimate victim blaming would be saying that someone could just leave a situation but chooses not to, such as domestic violence.

Fair enough, but it still feels like victim blaming to me. "why didn't he take off the mask?" feels the same as "why did she wear a low cut dress?" to me.