IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

This may be a little semi-off topic but you guys know how I've said over and over I'm really into the importance of freedom of speech...aaaaand how my other hobbies include reading Britannica Yearbooks (working on 1976) and my local newspaper archive from newspapers.com?  Well near the end of June 1990 (I started with that year because that's when I moved to the small rural town I spent that decade growing up in and there was much important stuff going on locally as well as nationally/globally)...this rap group was in the headlines over the issue of music censorship/labeling and such and it brought my attention to this clever "Born in the USA" themed rap song about the importance of free speech.  It may be rap but I think it and the song's message totally rocks 🙂 

1 hour ago, Link said:

This one isn’t really my fight, per se. But here is why since you want to know.

https://www.eater.com/2018/7/26/17619102/gordon-ramsay-uncharted-tv-show-national-geographic-uncharted

”discover the undiscovered” great, a Christopher Columbus of cuisine.

Chef Eddie Huang’s reaction

So he's competing against locals, and has his own take on their food. What's the problem? That he thinks he can beat them?

9 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Even though the man killed these guys to avenge some of the BLM poster children, I guess it doesn't "count" and isn't racist since they were police who were murdered?

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/cops-shot-brooklyn-sources-article-1.2051941

This was huge news when it first happened, surprised no one brought it up now. 

It's a 6 year old event that ended with the person who did it committing suicide. One of the officers was Asian (Liu) while the other was Hispanic (Ramos). The shooter was also known to have been arrested 19 times and still managed to obtain a handgun. He also had no active role in BLM at the time, was reported to also have shot his girlfriend that day, and only did it becaused he was angry over the Eric Garner and Michael Brown cases.

And atop of that, authorities in Baltimore had sent an advanced warning to the NYPD. But it is also believed that their warning came at the same time his threats of doing this happened around the same time he did it.

In the end this act is based more on talks for gun control, which is an aspect of what both Thomas Jefferson and James Madison promoted, and less about the BLM movement. Because the BLM movement is an extension of what the Lincoln Administration established. This was a case where somebody was angry enough to kill anybody who wore the officer, which turned out to be both minorities themselves.

Here is a link to the follow-up involving this incident: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/two-police-officers-shot-in-their-patrol-car-in-brooklyn.html

Here is the Wikipedia page tied to this incident: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_killings_of_NYPD_officers

In the end this event is not discussed because many, including those who might be part of the BLM, used this as a means to promote the end of violence on both sides. Which is commonly something people do not look up, or even add when talking about what one person did to one group on people. And vice-versa.

4 hours ago, Link said:

I don’t believe the answer for food is categorical. It depends on how. Rick Bayless seems like somebody who does it right. 

Gordon Ramsay said iirc that he can cook any country’s cuisine better than the people from that country. I like him, and sure hes a good chef, but that’s a pretty dumb and insulting thing to say. 

Rick Bayless is a chef who happens to be an expert at preparing Mexican cuisine. If you read his books, his travels to Mexico as a child is what inspired him to be a chef in the first place.

As far as the new Gordon Ramsay show goes, he's likely setting himself up as a villain to promote the show. Bobby Flay had a very similar show 10 years ago that took place in american local regions rather than global. The shows were meant to honor the cuisine they feature, but in the Bobby Flay case, it wound up being more of an effort to showcase himself. I would need to watch an episode of the new Ramsay show before I pass a judgement.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

It's a 6 year old event that ended with the person who did it committing suicide. One of the officers was Asian (Liu) while the other was Hispanic (Ramos). The shooter was also known to have been arrested 19 times and still managed to obtain a handgun. He also had no active role in BLM at the time, was reported to also have shot his girlfriend that day, and only did it becaused he was angry over the Eric Garner and Michael Brown cases.

And atop of that, authorities in Baltimore had sent an advanced warning to the NYPD. But it is also believed that their warning came at the same time his threats of doing this happened around the same time he did it.

In the end this act is based more on talks for gun control, which is an aspect of what both Thomas Jefferson and James Madison promoted, and less about the BLM movement. Because the BLM movement is an extension of what the Lincoln Administration established. This was a case where somebody was angry enough to kill anybody who wore the officer, which turned out to be both minorities themselves.

Here is a link to the follow-up involving this incident: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/21/nyregion/two-police-officers-shot-in-their-patrol-car-in-brooklyn.html

Here is the Wikipedia page tied to this incident: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_killings_of_NYPD_officers

In the end this event is not discussed because many, including those who might be part of the BLM, used this as a means to promote the end of violence on both sides. Which is commonly something people do not look up, or even add when talking about what one person did to one group on people. And vice-versa.

If you look at the recent case of George Floyd, the majority (if not all) of the other officers standing there were not white; one can see that just by looking at their surnames.

The guy in this case situation killed two innocent non-black police officers, as he was pissed off that two black guys, whose names at the time and even now , are brought up in the whole police brutality / BLM movement. So yes, it is relevant and easily could be seen as racial in nature. Think he would have murdered those innocent people if they were black? I don't.

Regarding rap sheets, well if it's relevant to bring up in this case, as you try to distance him from the current topic at hand, then I feel it's quite relevant to bring up the long rap sheets of many if not all of these BLM police brutality victims.

52 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Rick Bayless is a chef who happens to be an expert at preparing Mexican cuisine. If you read his books, his travels to Mexico as a child is what inspired him to be a chef in the first place.

As far as the new Gordon Ramsay show goes, he's likely setting himself up as a villain to promote the show. Bobby Flay had a very similar show 10 years ago that took place in american local regions rather than global. The shows were meant to honor the cuisine they feature, but in the Bobby Flay case, it wound up being more of an effort to showcase himself. I would need to watch an episode of the new Ramsay show before I pass a judgement.

Honor these foods and people by traveling to an underprivileged area, as a trained chef, and then essentially competing to see who can make the better or most authentic of these local dishes? Doesn't sound like an honour in any way to me, more like something that I find offensive.

4 hours ago, Link said:

When you cook food, you are not necessarily pretending to be something you’re not.

When you act, you are. And when you act in a way that reinforces a stereotype, that merits examination: Is it hurtful to people it represents? Then it should change. 

Are Americans / non-German Europeans sometimes cast to play the roles of Germans, and then use a fake / inauthentic / exaggerated stereotypical "German" accent?

Are Americans / non-italian Europeans sometimes cast to play the roles of Italians, and then use a fake / inauthentic / exaggerated stereotypical "Italians" accent?

As you said yourself, "When you act, you are. And when you act in a way that reinforces a stereotype, that merits examination: Is it hurtful to people it represents? Then it should change. "

Due to this, I'd also like to bring up the offensiveness of the prominent "Mario" character of Nintendo games. Big bushy mustache, fake Italian accent as produced by a non- Italian, etc. That shit's offensive dude! 

34 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Are Americans / non-German Europeans sometimes cast to play the roles of Germans, and then use a fake / inauthentic / exaggerated stereotypical "German" accent?

For what it is worth before and during WWII there were plenty of German expatriates who had fled the Nazis. They were an obvious source of actors to play Nazis in what were often essentially propaganda films and they  often used exaggerated accents to drive home the evil nature of the Nazis - particularly the officers. (Occasionaly it would be used in a largely humorous way = such as a surprisingly sympathetic/comic relief (IIRC) German sergeant in Tarzan Triumphs (1943) - the rest of the Germans were evil and most wound up being fed to piranhas*.)  One really notable example of this exaggerated portrayal was that of Major Strasser (Casablanca) played by Conrad Veidt.

This would continue later - Colonel Klink and Sgt, Schulze from Hogan's Heroes were played by a German born actor and an Austrian born actor in totally comedic roles and their exaggerated accents were part of those roles.

Oddly enough in the 1953 movie Stalag 17** Peter Graves (an American actor) was cast as a German soldier partially because he had no accent  - in the movie he played an spy posing as a prisoner so he could not have an accent.

*The astute reader will recognize that there are no piranhas in Africa (maybe the Nazis brought them as pets,)

**If you haven't seen it it is an excellent movie.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

Are Americans / non-italian Europeans sometimes cast to play the roles of Italians, and then use a fake / inauthentic / exaggerated stereotypical "Italians" accent?

As you said yourself, "When you act, you are. And when you act in a way that reinforces a stereotype, that merits examination: Is it hurtful to people it represents? Then it should change. "

Due to this, I'd also like to bring up the offensiveness of the prominent "Mario" character of Nintendo games. Big bushy mustache, fake Italian accent as produced by a non- Italian, etc. That shit's offensive dude! 

5 hours ago, Link said:

Is it hurtful to people it represents? Then it should change. 

Not sure what I didn’t say here

But how I do so hate castrati Mario. Bring back Captain Lou! (err... RIP... a voice actor who can mimic him. Perhaps Azaria is available. I hear the recasting of Apu Nahasapeemapetilon has just been devestating. A new role will perk him right up!) 

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Honor these foods and people by traveling to an underprivileged area, as a trained chef, and then essentially competing to see who can make the better or most authentic of these local dishes? Doesn't sound like an honour in any way to me, more like something that I find offensive.

If it's of any consolation, he'll probably lose far more than he will win. If every episode starts with 30 minutes of visiting local markets and farms as he educates himself a-la your typical Anthony Bourdain show, I'd be on board. Watching him try to mimic the foods he tastes along the way might be fun. The whole "competition" vs a local is pretty corny, though. 

The Bobby Flay show was offensive though. It wouldn't surprise me me if this one is as well.

34 minutes ago, Link said:

Not sure what I didn’t say here

But how I do so hate castrati Mario. Bring back Captain Lou! (err... RIP... a voice actor who can mimic him. Perhaps Azaria is available. I hear the recasting of Apu Nahasapeemapetilon has just been devestating. A new role will perk him right up!) 

Hank Azaria would kill Mario. I know you said it partially in jest, but a speaking Mario role voiced by Hank Azaria would be absolutely sick! Would never happen since Mario is mostly a mute character like Link.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

A British guy saying he can cook food better than a Spanish guy is not racist.

It's offensive, if the British guy is saying he can cook Spanish food better than the Spanish guy.

Similarly, the situation with Apu is not racist, as #1, Indian is not a race, #2, accents are not genetic, rather are developed depending on where you live / grow up / reside.

• Confused 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

It's offensive, if the British guy is saying he can cook Spanish food better than the Spanish guy.

How is that offensive? A man who has trained to cook Spanish food doesn't have to be from Spain to cook better, or even more authentic, Spanish food than the natives. 

I'm Canadian and I consider myself to be actually quite the good cook but I promise you there's some guy in France or Belgium or something that makes better poutine than me, and that doesn't offend me in any way.

Why do people get offended FOR other people? None of the people on Gordon's show are offended by his love and reverence for their cuisine. Virtue signaling and white knighting is really getting out of hand these days.

• Like 1

Honestly I don't like how Gordon Ramsey perpetrates a mean angry foul mouth stereotype of chefs/cooks.  And I most definitely didn't think he belonged on a place like QVC when he did a few guest appearances there.  Just like how Judge Judy and other wannabe shows like hers give people the wrong idea about small claims courts...I wonder how many people have been scarred to go to small claims court (even if they have a clear open and shut case) because they're afraid the judge will be like Judy.

Shall I go on about the other stupid stereotypes that some so-called "reality" shows perpetuate?  Like Jersey Shore stereotyping New Jerseyians (there was a SP episode about this)...even though none of the main cast is even from NJ??? 😛 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Estil said:

Honestly I don't like how Gordon Ramsey perpetrates a mean angry foul mouth stereotype of chefs/cooks.  

Mrs. Tabonga goes in streaks watching various cooking competition shows and I wind up seeing them by default - I am pretty neutral about them - but then other than sticking hot dogs in the microwave I don't cook.

I think his exaggerated histrionics are just that - designed to play a role.  Think about the usually dysfunctional  (and often not very talented) contestants -many of whom I would not trust to peel a potato,  They seem more picked to provide high drama than to actually prepare challenging dishes.  And Ramsey's theatrics fit that mode perfectly.

In contrast his children's shows have him being extremely respectful and nurturing to the children without being whatsoever condescending to them*.  He even seems much more cordial and warm with whatever other chefs he has on with him in those.

*I could be wrong but I don't think a genuinely mean spirited person could pull that off convincingly.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, fcgamer said:

If you look at the recent case of George Floyd, the majority (if not all) of the other officers standing there were not white; one can see that just by looking at their surnames.

The guy in this case situation killed two innocent non-black police officers, as he was pissed off that two black guys, whose names at the time and even now , are brought up in the whole police brutality / BLM movement. So yes, it is relevant and easily could be seen as racial in nature. Think he would have murdered those innocent people if they were black? I don't.

Regarding rap sheets, well if it's relevant to bring up in this case, as you try to distance him from the current topic at hand, then I feel it's quite relevant to bring up the long rap sheets of many if not all of these BLM police brutality victims.

Lets point out the facts.

Derek Chauvin is lucky to even have second degree murder charges at this time. So lets talk about his body language, witness testimony when it comes to his history when it comes to black people in general, and the fact he used the Police Department as his own personal smoke bomb. The following arrested officers do not need to know what he was planning to be arrested. All he needed was them to be there while he wore his uniform, while they were on duty. So that case is them being guilty because they were trying to do their jobs. Which means that they can be found innocent if it is proven that none of them were aware of what he was planning.

And now onto Ismaaiyl Abdullah Brinsley's killing of the two police officers. Every report states that the act happened weeks after both courts found said officers innocent. They also used the word "ostensibly" in the case he might have done it out of revenge. The word is an adverb that means "apparently or purportedly, but perhaps not actually." Meaning that there is no validation of your claims that this was remotely race related. Because he also shot, and seriously wounded, Shaneka Nicole Thompson. Who was his 29 year old girlfriend. He then took a bus to Brooklyn, randomly chose what he perceived as an easy target, and killed them. Before fleeing to a New York subway where he committed suicide.

Your claims dismiss the fact there is no solid validation that he did it for any reason that can be connected to the BLM movement. And the second link I have offered extends on that proof.

As stated in the Wikipedia article, "Daniel McCall, who was appointed to represent Brinsley in Georgia, said Brinsley was not difficult to represent and that no psychiatric problems were noticed at that time." It follows up on the statement "On the day of the attack, Brinsley had tried to commit suicide with his gun before killing the police officers, but he was talked out of it by his girlfriend, Shaneka Nicole Thompson, whom he then shot." Before going on saying that he tried to kill himself the year prior. Which shows that he has a history of emotional instability. In all cases if you were right he would have said this might have connections to some portion of the Black Lives Matter movement. But it doesn't.

Before he did the act, your only validity to your case is this quote: "I'm putting Wings on Pigs Today ... They Take 1 of Ours ... Lets Take 2 of Theirs." His reason for going from the idea of killing himself to killing any officers before killing himself is a sign of mental instability, not doing something that "benefits" the Black Lives Matter movement. Because everything he was dealing with caused him to become a sociopath. Because as the definition states, he was a "person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience."

Plus Charles Wade said the following in regards to this: "We've all said that this is a horrible thing that shouldn't have happened. I say time and time again that I'm against police violence, and I'm not against police officers in general. I have an issue with improper policing, police violence and police impunity."

Prior his arrest in 2016, he was considered the leader of the Black Lives Matter movement. And based on his word, and those who have connections to this crime, there are zero connections between what what Brinsley did and what the Black Lives Matter movement represents. Because after looking at everything Derek Chauvin failed to use his role in the Police Department as a means to cover up his own crime. Where as Ismaaiyl Abdullah Brinsley would not have done his crime if his second suicide attempt was uninterrupted.

I would say more but every document on the incident you are trying to use says that it has zero ties to anything regarding to the BLM movement. And that showed those tied to it being there for the Police, even when the Police were only there for the Police.

22 hours ago, Estil said:

Actually on YCDTOT you'd find the debate being Conservatives vs Liberals (who interestingly use the opposite colors we in the US do) seeing as how it's a Canadian sketch comedy...speaking of which the Red Green Show rocks 🙂

BTW, *places hand on shoulder in show of friendship* I do happen to be a fellow Aspie (which before I was diagnosed in 2006 I had no clue there was such a thing, though it explained a lot about why I always felt "different" inside) 🙂   And NO, Eric Cartman, Aspergers does NOT mean we have burgers in our ass or pants 😛 

Oh Cartman! 😂

January, 2005 for me. And speaking of "ass burgers"... I have encountered quite a few who should be served one. Granted, I cannot since I have a project I need to relaunch. But I have to believe that them eating one will be the nicest form of karma they get during this lifetime. Just don't quote on me it because I am aiming for that high-functioning "sociopath" look. 😉

But on a different note... My cousin is consulting a game company that is developing a platformer where the main character is Autistic. Hopefully I can convince her to convince them to promote it here. 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Hank Azaria would kill Mario. I know you said it partially in jest, but a speaking Mario role voiced by Hank Azaria would be absolutely sick!

Yes, I was joking, but I do agree.

I have big respect and appreciation for voice acting. I find the ins and outs more entertaining than regular acting. I’ve seen a few documentaries about it. To watch somebody turn on a dime from this character to that is very funny and very skilled. That is a rare combination that I admire in any field, but it’s required in this field, and Azaria is at the top. It’s too bad he spends his time on The Simpsons which is now trash, but they kind of made each other, and I can’t blame him for staying comfortable. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tabonga said:

The astute reader will recognize that there are no piranhas in Africa

I first heard it as “tigers around here”, but I catch your drift. 

Very nice point about exaggerated accents. I wonder (doubt) if everyone can apprehend the difference between satirizing your own heritage vs that of others. 

21 minutes ago, Link said:

Very nice point about exaggerated accents. I wonder (doubt) if everyone can apprehend the difference between satirizing your own heritage vs that of others. 

If you're not of that heritage though...

Just because you're white doesn't mean that your heritage is German, Italian, French, whatever.

That's the issue, but then again, it was already established here pages ago that even when treated in a negative way, as a minority, white people cannot be discriminated against or feel offended.

2 hours ago, Link said:

If you're not of that heritage though...

Just because you're white doesn't mean that your heritage is German, Italian, French, whatever.

That's the issue, but then again, it was already established here pages ago that even when treated in a negative way, as a minority, white people cannot be discriminated against or feel offended by other groups.

Edited by fcgamer

5 hours ago, Link said:

Sometimes things take on a life of their own that eclipses such concerns as who (in terms of ethnicity) is playing a role. Case in point - there was a movie made in 1958 called "She Demons"*  - a cheap horror movie that featured post war Nazis experimenting on native women (who all looked like  Caucasians - but really good looking Caucasians  (well before the Nazis got done experimenting on them anyway)) on an island somewhere..  The main Nazis were played by German born actors with outrageously exaggerated accents. (There were a bunch of stormtrooper guards played by American born actors -they had very few lines if any though.)

she-demons-1958-shutterstock-editorial-5863382a.jpg.92a3a7b7f388de48497d9ece21e5d1a5.jpg

Fast forward to 1983 when the comedy group Firesign Theater makes a movie consisting of several short pieces where they took old b&w clips from movies and serials and dubbed in their own storylines (which had nothing to do with the original plots). One of the movies they used was the aforementioned "She Demons" which became "Nazi Diet Doctors" -the Nazis' dialogue became even more exaggerated (since they were mocking a now long established exaggerated accent trope).  I doubt any of the Firesign Theater were German born (or even German ancestry) but by the time you take the history of the footage for "Nazi Diet Doctors" in context does it really matter - the result is a pretty funny short that has nothing to do with who is providing the voices (which by this time are not meant to be taken as real by any stretch of the imagination).

And consider the case of Morgan (the two Walking Dead series) who is a black American played by a British actor.  Does his being black supercede the fact that he is not American** (in terms of ethnic authenticity)?  (I always find it somewhat amusing when Lennie James (who plays Morgan) is interviewed off camera and he is speaking with an English accent rather than his American English used on the shows.)

*One interesting tidbit about "She Demons" is that one of the secondary roles was played by Victor Sen Yung - who was Number Two son from the lengthy Charlie Chan movie series from the thirties and forties. Victor Sen Yung was arguably the second most successful of the Chan children from those movies after Key Luke (who played Number One son). 

eed9d99473a16d68855c63e8d4cbb138.jpg.77a6d0a238fccda319e79d741832ad2a.jpg

** Rick Grimes is also played by an English acfor.

Edited by Tabonga

On 7/1/2020 at 1:34 AM, Tulpa said:

I didn't arbitrarily decide. It's part of their identity.

Or they have a legit gripe about their very cultural identity and are asking to not be made fun of. People do have feelings.

If you're in the "fuck your feelings, I wanna laugh" crowd, then I don't know what to tell you.

Have they said that in this instance? No.

Never said that, I said how it relates to cultural identity matters.

Does it matter? They're human beings. Some were offended. Do their feelings not count?

You have to break it down into numbers rather than listen to people's feelings?

Again, the creators of the Simpsons listened and responded. You say they caved. You don't know. It could be they acted like human beings and did the right thing.

Which was their right.

They had no control over the network. They just voiced.

You're just mad because you don't have an effective voice. Git Gud.

White dudes have been dictating culture for centuries. It's time to let other voices have their say.

IN THEIR OWN CULTURE!

No, it's giving proper voice to a culture.

If someone put up an offensive caricature of you and said to the world "Hey, look at this shithead," you'd feel something.

And don't fucking tell me you'd shut up and let people just laugh at you.

They endure this every day. It's time for us to take notice.

It's pretty cut and dry when it's someone else's culture. And when the white people put up caricatures of that culture without input from that culture, it causes problems.

Do it enough and it's big problems.

It's not subjective.

We've seen the damage it causes.

It's time to knock it off.

Not at all. The conservative objections were canards. They were proven to be such. They didn't have any stake in what they were actually talking about.

This does have a stake, and it can be shown that it is an offensive caricature.

Their idea of American culture wasn't what they were really protesting. They're constantly contradicting themselves.

As opposed to what the Indians were concerned about, which they can directly point to. "A white dude is portraying us. Can we have someone from our culture do it instead?"

Because many of them came out and said so.

Again, the argument isn't that he's Indian, it's that he's voiced by a white dude doing an accent that is a stereotype. You forget that part of the discussion?

Indians like that he's on the show.

So he stays on the show.

They didn't like his voice.

So his voice actor willingly stepped aside.

Simple.

Again, it's not Apu himself. Apu's character is not the problem.

IT'S THE WHITE DUDE SPEAKING FOR APU.

And again, Azaria willingly stepped away. He could have said he was pressured. He didn't. You just concocted it in your head.

I am willing to agree to disagree on this. But I seriously don't think comedy is in trouble.

Make no mistake, I will argue this until the sun goes red giant, too. 😛

I wasn't talking about their identity there i was talking about who should be catered to and have artistic work altered for them. You've decided arbitrarily that these should and other moralists shouldn't when you don't have any case other than subjective sympathies to go on. Everyone has feelings. No you haven't said "don't show violence because it encourages bad behaviour" but that is exactly my point. You're already saying NO to moralist with a different flavor but here all of a sudden you say YES when others are at the recieving end of getting the content they enjoy altered.

Like i said everyone has feelings so how should you make anything out of it? Yes it does matter. When someone uses his feelings to override other peoples rights it becomes oppression. How can it not matter that one group of Indians get to speak for all Indians and all Simpson fans in general? I saw the so-called problem of Apu on youtube and the overwhelming response was negative towards his sentiment.

Who says something is proper based on who gets the voice rather than what is being said or done? If someone put up an offensive thing then it should be offensive regardless or you're making a racist argument. Either Apu shouldn't look and talk like he does regardless or he should but if you say he shouldn't because the creator is white then it is racism. So even if i conceded that Apu was offensive you're still making a racist argument by excluding a white guy specifically from playing him. It isn't "cut and dry" not even close. 

They were proven to be what? The conservatives didn't care about how family life etc. was being portrayed they just faked that they did? Even then you'd have no case. The sentiment isn't dependant on them specifically to be valid as an argument. The point is that such a sentiment exists and could be made. You think nobody who would make a sentiment against "immoral depictions in movies" is sincere? I mean you're literally defending some of them yourself. Ofcourse the sentiment exists even without the focus on race, by focusing on violence or sex. Profanity, whatever. So no you can't dismisse those causes as fake and the few Indians complaining about race as legitimate.

A few might've come out and said "this might give viewers a false impression of us" but i don't think the majority would've had that mindset. The majority even if they didn't like Apu i think would recognize that he isn't a collective representation and if they don't well that's on them. You can't fault a show for what you think others might feel when watching it when you don't know that. I never thought Apu was anything but an individual.

So Apu's character is not the problem it's the white dude speaking for him. Wich like i said is the literal definition of racism. If the problem isn't how he looks or how he sounds but whether a white person is involved you've put all the focus on race and none of the focus on behaviour so how can that not be racism? How can it possibly be more blatant thant straight up delcaring "you're not welcome because your color/background is X"? You can't racialize and then pick and choose whether it's gonna count as racism, it automatically is.

• Like 1