IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

Englishman using a heavy stereotypical "German" accent apparently is okay, just because it's white + white, and I guess because English people and German people were all of Germanic stock. No cares about stereotypes, or being offensive to Germans, or representing another culture improperly.

White guy does an Indian accent, hold the phone, racist and offensive to the core...

So stupid, especially since indian heritage people born and raised in the USA will sound like "Americans" when they talk, and white people born and raised in India amongst the general local population will sound "Indian" when they talk.

Accent is from where you're raised, it's not some ethnic or racist thing.

On another note, what about people who subconsciously start to mimic the accent of the person they're talking with... are they racist, trying to make fun, assholes? Let's discuss further, it's a common phenomenon.

It seems many don't, as was pointed out by me earlier, Indian isn't a race.

Yea so a white guy playing a white guy from a difference country wouldn't be racist. It could still be offensive depending on the portrayal of course. But it's not a race issue.

Edited by CodysGameRoom
  • Haha 1

Just now, CodysGameRoom said:

Yea so a white guy playing a white guy from a difference country wouldn't be racist. It could still be offensive depending on the portrayal of course. But it's not a race issue.

A white guy playing an Indian guy would also not be a race issue, you do realise that right? It could still be offensive, but it wouldn't be a racial issue.

7 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Englishman using a heavy stereotypical "German" accent apparently is okay, just because it's white + white, and I guess because English people and German people were all of Germanic stock.

It's not racist. It might be offensive depending on the portrayal but it's not racist.

2 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

A white guy playing an Indian guy would also not be a race issue, you do realise that right?

You do know that Asian is a race right? It absolutely is racist and offensive. 

8 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

So stupid

So to you, someone saying they can cook food better than a native from the place the food is from, is very offensive. But someone mocking their accent is not? 

Or are you just being facetious? 

1 minute ago, CodysGameRoom said:

It's not racist. It might be offensive depending on the portrayal but it's not racist.

You do know that Asian is a race right? It absolutely is racist and offensive. 

So to you, someone saying they can cook food better than a native from the place the food is from, is very offensive. But someone mocking their accent is not? 

Or are you just being facetious? 

Accent is not hereditary, not genetic...you do realise that, right? I'd suggest you do some research about it son before trying to argue otherwise 😂

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

Accent is not hereditary, not genetic...you do realise that, right? I'd suggest you do some research about it son before trying to argue otherwise 😂

Mocking someone's accent enforces racism, prejudice, stereotypes, xenophobia, and classism. If you disagree, explain why.

Mocking someone's accent enforces racism, prejudice, stereotypes, xenophobia, and classism. If you disagree, explain why.

You just mentioned earlier an Englishman using a German accent is not racist, of course, white on white. 

Let's team up and fight the good fight, shutting down anyone acting out an accent that isn't their "real" accent. This should be fine, right?!?

1 minute ago, fcgamer said:

You just mentioned earlier an Englishman using a German accent is not racist, of course, white on white. 

Let's team up and fight the good fight, shutting down anyone acting out an accent that isn't their "real" accent. This should be fine, right?!?

I'm done debating semantics with you so you can try to justify racism. 

• Haha 1

YouTuber Liza Koshy Apologizes For Mock Asian Accent, Pretend Japanese Words In Videos

Tons of people who have made mistakes like this in the past are apologizing and learning from them. The majority of people understand how wrong it is. Why can't the few stalwarts in this thread grasp it?

Accents are a product of where a person grows up, a region. That's point number one, do some research and learn about linguistics a bit.

Number two, it's hard to take people like you seriously when literally no one is fighting or protesting about stereotypical German / Italian / Russian accents, etc. If it's a huge issue, shouldn't we be concerned about it all?!? I mean, Russians in America, hell , that's a minority group. True Germans in America, etc.

Just now, fcgamer said:

Accents are a product of where a person grows up, a region. That's point number one, do some research and learn about linguistics a bit.

Number two, it's hard to take people like you seriously when literally no one is fighting or protesting about stereotypical German / Italian / Russian accents, etc. If it's a huge issue, shouldn't we be concerned about it all?!? I mean, Russians in America, hell , that's a minority group. True Germans in America, etc.

You wouldn't take me seriously if I provided an notarized 25 page annotated report with cited sources because you already choose not to willfully. 

You are missing the point and trying to justify it with semantics. That's on you.

It's not a HUGE issue. It was AN issue. It was dealt with. The only ones making into a HUGE issue now are the ones whining and crying because they decided to make the change.  Tulpa already explained over and over and over and I'm not getting into it further.

• Like 1

You wouldn't take me seriously if I provided an notarized 25 page annotated report with cited sources because you already choose not to willfully. 

You are missing the point and trying to justify it with semantics. That's on you.

It's not a HUGE issue. It was AN issue. It was dealt with. The only ones making into a HUGE issue now are the ones whining and crying because they decided to make the change.  Tulpa already explained over and over and over and I'm not getting into it further.

No, I just look at realities rather than forced agendas. 

Continue justifying racism by tearing it down with semantics. 

Keep trying to justify why some things are offensive and others aren't, I just look at the simple formula if X+y= offensive, then it's offensive full stop. It can't be offensive only if it fits into your agenda , right?

Just now, fcgamer said:

Keep trying to justify why some things are offensive and others aren't, I just look at the simple formula if X+y= offensive, then it's offensive full stop. It can't be offensive only if it fits into your agenda , right?

Nope, I never said that. Neither you or I get to determine what is offensive. The people who LITERALLY are offended are the ones.

• Like 1