IGNORED

Music Debate 48: Britney Spears

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

37 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

22 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Used to work with a guy that was a huge holdsworth fan and also a big britney fan so there’s that for you

Thats strange, but I can kinda see that.  Im not dissing on the songs themselves, they're crafted excellently by songwriters.  But to me, most of those manufactured pop artists are just making money for record companies.  They're not really 'artists' per say.  Thats kinda the issue I take.  If this poll was about entertainers, well then Brit does a really good job.

Also don't get me wrong about hating Brit or something, I dont.  She's doing her thing and anyone in that position should jump at that chance.  If anything I hate bands that get famous on their own merit and writing that I think are completely terrible haha.

i hate the gatekeeping of "do you play an instrument?" because I can gatekeep more- having perfect pitch, proficient in most instrument, composed for film, played professionally, and have a deep and vast knowledge of music that few can ever attain. and there's folks who know more/practiced more/performed more than me- there, we're all dicks, happy?

It is what it is. Britany's music is the top of a genre and made for all to enjoy. All music is played for everyone to enjoy- outside of some dada music that's intentionally dissident. It is ART, which has a huge slice of subjectivity served with every piece- BUT, to gatekeep in a positive way, it always doesn't have to be an argument when someone says they like django reinhart and not <whomever is at the top of their game right now in the fringe jazz guitar scene in Astoria nightclubs>.

That being said: it's good to know what like (and don't like) when it comes to art. It's nice to stay in your lane and enjoy what speaks to you, or consciously explore other genres (and be able to articulate why it sucks or be surprised that you like it).

Spoiler

Also, my Britany story is 100% true, just read it in a J Peterman voice. 

edit: added to shame a few folks who posted a few pages back. we've moved on

Edited by zi
slow reading

1 hour ago, zi said:

i hate the gatekeeping of "do you play an instrument?"

It's not gatekeeping, so to speak.  I grew up learning and playing music so it's hard for me to really imagine a time when I wasn't at least attempting to be musically inclined.  However, the reason why I think it is an important question, especially when regarding someone else perspective is because once you begin learning a given talent, you start to pick up on subtle but important aspects of that talent.

I personally learned this with golf.  I use to hate watching it on TV.  It seemed like such a boring sport with a bunch of guys whacking around some white balls and people soft clapping.  In High School, we had a terrible golf team and, basically, if you showed up for try outs, you were on.  I wanted to learn, mostly because I wanted an excuse to walk in manicured nature and growing up in SC, it meant that I'd get a chance to see some of the best kept golf properties in the South-East.

Anyway, when I bought myself some cheap clubs and went to the driving range for the first time, I quickly learned that Happy Gilmore was 100% a lie and this was the most difficult sport I'd ever tried.  So I practiced and asked a lot of questions.  I made the team, as the 6th and final player, out of 6 people trying out and I was able to enjoy it, but never was good at it.

However, and this is my point, as soon as I started swinging a golf club, that super-boring sport on TV was now amazing.  Even today, 20+ years later, I find it fascinating and entertaining.  This is because I understand that those players really, truly are amazing. They have a natural skill I don't have, and they have practiced for most of their lives and it shows.

The "do you play an instrument/have you had voice lessons" question is trying to find out the perspective of the person with the opinion.  It's often hard to truly appreciate a given talent (or snub someone with passable, at best talent) if you've not at least tried to walk a mile in their shoes. Sure, we can all enjoy good music, but once you see how low the bar has been dropped by the industry, it's hard to gauge how little respect some of these individuals deserve within "music".

But, as everyone else has mentioned, "musicians" like Brittany Spears are entertainers.  You have to take the full package into perspective in gauging if they are doing a good job or not.  There job is to entertain.  My main beef/issue is that when someone's careers is built around selling eye-candy, or tickets to events, the music suffers.  And, let's face it, if you do buy an album, you might like that "cute girl" on the cover, but that's not going to really make the investment worth the purchase if you just want to listen to some really great tune.  Furthermore, if the visuals are selling most of the music, then that means a lot of truly talented people, who have worked their whole lives at being great, are over looked and can struggle to even form a career in an industry where they could run laps around the super-stars. Yes, it is what it is, but it's totally frustrating to those of us that love actual, musical talent.

Classic hate the game not the player. 

People out here hating somebody for taking advantage of their opportunities. Gtfoh. Trying to make some shit up about how Britney Spears can’t sing. Salty because they been playing their whole life and can’t get a listen while Britney just shakes her ass and sells millions. Please.

plus hudsworth is my second favorite artist behind Fiona apple.

1 hour ago, RH said:

It's not gatekeeping, so to speak.

it's classic gatekeeping when it's framed as "you don't know as much as I when it comes to X because you haven't done X." this is art: subjective as hell.

@skinnygrinny I think they're accepting fame/fortune/followers as the metric of success, when all it does is allow for a wider distribution across mediums (radio/tv/spotify/ads/movies/downloads).

so many talented musicians making good stuff- that's why soundcloud is amazing (or any other platform) - it evens the playing field for accessibility. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skinnygrinny said:

Classic hate the game not the player. 

People out here hating somebody for taking advantage of their opportunities. Gtfoh. Trying to make some shit up about how Britney Spears can’t sing. Salty because they been playing their whole life and can’t get a listen while Britney just shakes her ass and sells millions. Please.

plus hudsworth is my second favorite artist behind Fiona apple.

See, now im getting a bit annoyed because thats not what I was saying.  She isn't a musician, shes an entertainer.  I even said I dont blame her for taking that opportunity and im not even upset by it.  Thats how the music business works.  For pop music, the 'music' part is the least important.  The marketability is.  Which is why she's not a great singer.  Its also not gatekeeping because i'm not even saying he can't listen to it, no matter how odd it is for a grown man to listen to music marketed to 15 yr old girls.  We're talking about her as a musician and thats not great.  That is based on skill, skill is not subjective.  Gatekeeping is "I have invested a lot of money in my games and because you don't own a Samson means you're not as legit as I am".  She doesn't write her own music and like I said, can't sing as great as OTHERS IN HER POSITION as a pop artist.  She puts on a great act and that sells because most people listen with their eyes instead of their ears.  I didn't even rate her a 0, jesus.

22 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

no matter how odd it is for a grown man to listen to music marketed to 15 yr old girls. 

She doesn't write her own music

First the “all kinds of weird” comment now this. Your way off so stop. 

then you post a video of someone covering lady Gaga.

keep backpedaling. 

2 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

First the “all kinds of weird” comment now this. Your way off so stop. 

then you post a video of someone covering lady Gaga.

keep backpedaling. 

Shes someone I know and im friends with the guys in the band because we all taught at the same music school ya goof haha.  Don't act like that was me filming it.

1 minute ago, skinnygrinny said:

I never thought that was you filming. Wtf are you even talking about anymore? 

Then I have no idea what you meant about me posting a video of a professional singer I know covering gaga.  It seemed like you were insinuating I listen to the same female pop stuff as well.  I used that video as a comparison to a pretty girl that could sing better than Brit that no ones heard of. 

Britney doesn't even rate as a musician, and also doesn't rate that high as a singer other than at least having a distinctive voice. At least she's not one of those histrionic shrieking divas. She is a good entertainer which is all that she needs to be.

I think that when rating Britney you have to take into consideration the talents of her songwriters and session musicians as well as the catchiness of the songs themselves. That's why I give her a 6 rather than a 2 or 3. She's no Beatles but her hits are generally decent, as they should be, since they were written and performed by pros.

1 hour ago, zi said:

this is art: subjective as hell.

No it isn't. That's precisely the issue that people are having. We're talking about Britney Spears. Her and art are mutually exclusive. She's nothing more than a product to sell. Nothing wrong with people enjoying that product, but call a spade a spade.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

No it isn't. That's precisely the issue that people are having. We're talking about Britney Spears. Her and art are mutually exclusive. She's nothing more than a product to sell. Nothing wrong with people enjoying that product, but call a spade a spade.

she's art. listen, look, etc. yr absorbing a feeling though a medium. art, bro. it's art. 

also debate has been not only done to death, but satirized to the nines: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poppy_(entertainer) or https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8JE00xTMBOqKs7o0grFTfQ

where Poppy, an entertainer, singer songwriter, etc. (who literally has a photo where she sits in the little girl pose of Britany) slowly rebels- we think she's a robot, she says odd stuff, she's being controlled, she's being cloned, her life isn't her own, this is a manufactured silicon celeb like all celebs...

All I can say is that Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera were the absolute hottest babes in the world to 16yo Boosted.  Britney was crazy hot, but Christina was straight smoldering in her genie video.

Not long after, Britney became insane and bald, while Christina plumped up (still hot tho 😉 ).

I think Britney is back to being a babe tho...I might be wrong.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Boosted52405 said:

All I can say is that Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera were the absolute hottest babes in the world to 16yo Boosted.  Britney was crazy hot, but Christina was straight smoldering in her genie video.

Not long after, Britney became insane and bald, while Christina plumped up (still hot tho 😉 ).

I think Britney is back to being a babe tho...I might be wrong.

spacer.png