IGNORED

Music Debate 48: Britney Spears

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

37 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

2 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

No doubt Christina aguilera is the better singer. That’s not to say Britney Spears cant sing. 

mm3>mm2 but mm2 still a good game. 

In that kind of world there are two kinds of 'artists'.  People who can sing but cant write, so people write songs for them so they can sing them great.  Then there are people like Britney who are only there because they're marketable.  The singing part is secondary and can be manipulated with Autotune, backing tracks, etc.  People want to see as SHOW not music.  No one is listening to her cuz shes a great singer.  Shes a hot chick entertainer.  

1 minute ago, guitarzombie said:

In that kind of world there are two kinds of 'artists'.  People who can sing but cant write, so people write songs for them so they can sing them great.  Then there are people like Britney who are only there because they're marketable.  The singing part is secondary and can be manipulated with Autotune, backing tracks, etc.  People want to see as SHOW not music.  No one is listening to her cuz shes a great singer.  Shes a hot chick entertainer.  

im just going to guess she not a great songwriter. 
I realize she is very marketable. 
But, you put her on a stage with a mic and nothing else she is still gonna be a good singer. 
she is mainly a performer yes. But you can’t just say she can barley sing. That’s how she started. 

Just now, skinnygrinny said:

But, you put her on a stage with a mic and nothing else she is still gonna be a good singer. 
she is mainly a performer yes. But you can’t just say she can barley sing. That’s how she started. 

Haha ok so where we differ is your idea of what a singer is, is much lower than mine.  To me if you're a pro and your on that stage, you cant just coast on being 'ok'.  Ive heard TONS of phenomenal singers locally that no one knows, and some of them really good looking and 'marketable' but for whatever reason, don't break out.  As a musician I find it insulting, but as someone that understands the music business, I get it.  Id say for her class, she can barely sing.   To an AVERAGE person, above average.

2 minutes ago, skinnygrinny said:

She (Brittany) got her start working for the Mickey Mouse Club which was more chorus singing.  Also, those kids were mostly selected because they had the "x-factor" which is a real thing.  They are the children that when they walk in the room, every other kid just "knows" they are there and they gravitate toward them.  The people that have this "presence" about them really are rare, and Disney would find kids/talent like that to build their live media upon for children.

Fast forward a few more years and she gets a solo career not based on her singing but mostly her connections and history already with the industry.  Auto-tune was beginning to rise (or tools that made it easy to adjust pitch) and she and many other non-singers were able to have their careers.

I'm not trying to beat down on her, but the late-90s was the end of the era of music being "music" in the pop-realm.  Sure, there are legit singers but it's now much more about stage presents and getting people to fill the roles that can easily convince people to follow them and buy their music.  It's always been that, but technology from that point onward allowed for the final elimination of real talent.

Now, granted, she can dance. But, that's not about music.  Dancing doesn't (well, shouldn't) sell music.  It sells concert tickets, maybe, but that's about it.

Also, I think what I mentioned is pretty common knowledge but my part of my info actually comes from a former insider.  My wife and I use to be friends with an older couple.  The wife use to work for Disney and was the PR executive for the Mickey Mouse Club in that era, and continued to work with those "kids" into their early, solo careers (Christina and Justin Timberlake too.)

Eventually she quit/retired but I know she always said she had "plenty of stories to tell", but at that point in her life seemed a bit ashamed that she was part of that "beast".

Just now, guitarzombie said:

Haha ok so where we differ is your idea of what a singer is, is much lower than mine.  To me if you're a pro and your on that stage, you cant just coast on being 'ok'.  Ive heard TONS of phenomenal singers locally that no one knows, and some of them really good looking and 'marketable' but for whatever reason, don't break out.  As a musician I find it insulting, but as someone that understands the music business, I get it.  Id say for her class, she can barely sing.   To an AVERAGE person, above average.

My idea of what a singer is, is lower? How is an idea lower? 

what does anything else you said have to do with Britney Spears being able to sing or not. I get it people can sing better than her. But you can’t just discredit that she can sing good. Lol.

your salty as hell about it too, being a musician. 

My idea of what a singer is, is lower? How is an idea lower? 

what does anything else you said have to do with Britney Spears being able to sing or not. I get it people can sing better than her. But you can’t just discredit that she can sing good. Lol.

your salty as hell about it too, being a musician. 

I am, it IS insulting!  People work very hard for nothing with music, but because you have a look you can be marketed as an entertainer, and the singing is secondary. But we're talking about musicians, not entertainers.  If we're talking about entertainers she's great.  I just think you're enjoying her for her looks instead of her music which is all kinds of weird.  She can NOT sing well, dude you're out of your mind.  

Also part of the reason why its a mess because she's dancing and entertaining.  But if you could really sing, it would be nearly as intolerable.  

3 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I am, it IS insulting!  People work very hard for nothing with music, but because you have a look you can be marketed as an entertainer, and the singing is secondary. 

This is so true.  I've followed so many musicians on YouTube or people I've found deep within Spotify. There is some insane talent out there.  I mean, truly remarkable people, and they have 300 subscribers.  Seriously?!  Meanwhile, "everyone else" is subbed to Taylor Swift, Katy Perry (or whoever) and giving them their 10,000,000,000th view for their pitchy drivel.

1 minute ago, RH said:

This is so true.  I've followed so many musicians on YouTube or people I've found deep within Spotify. There is some insane talent out there.  I mean, truly remarkable people, and they have 300 subscribers.  Seriously?!  Meanwhile, "everyone else" is subbed to Taylor Swift, Katy Perry (or whoever) and giving them their 10,000,000,000th view for their pitchy drivel.

Heres an example.  This is Joie Giordano.  I know her but not that well.  I do know the band members really well (I taught guitar with the guitar player and drummer at the same school).  They would do a live band karaoke and she would bartend.  Im saying to myself what does this girl not have that all those singers have?  Yet she's serving me drinks and singing in front of like 25 people.

5 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I am, it IS insulting!  People work very hard for nothing with music, but because you have a look you can be marketed as an entertainer, and the singing is secondary. But we're talking about musicians, not entertainers.  If we're talking about entertainers she's great.  I just think you're enjoying her for her looks instead of her music which is all kinds of weird.  She can NOT sing well, dude you're out of your mind.  

Also part of the reason why its a mess because she's dancing and entertaining.  But if you could really sing, it would be nearly as intolerable.  

Oh! Not to good huh? But that’s like putting a mic on somebody while playing basketball and asking them to sing at the same time. 

seems like your insulted by her opportunity more than really thinking she can’t sing. 

• Like 1

Oh! Not to good huh? But that’s like putting a mic on somebody while playing basketball and asking them to sing at the same time. 

seems like your insulted by her opportunity more than really thinking she can’t sing. 

WHAHAH Ok.  In HALF of those clips she's not doing anything aerobic.  You're out of your dang mind kid.

I met Britany in an elevator in Beverly Hills back in 2002...

I WAS A YOUNG MAN- shit, sorry. I was a young man then, running scripts around town, worried about terrorists, and juggling quite a few lady friends as best I can remember. Anyway, buzz in the office was the starlet Ms. Brittany Speares was coming in, and everyone lost their collective fucking shit. She was reading for a part in an untitled film that was later titled, entitled, Garden State. I had just come back from driving new sides over to former The State star Thomas Lennon, no relation to the communist Vladimir Lenin who destroyed untold millions of lives with his whacky idea of communism, and I was sweaty and somewhat annoyed, as we all were in Los Angeles around that time, mostly because they made two more Matrix movies in an effort to cash in on some cheap photography tricks and really ruin a potentially epic scifi franchise. 

Because of the general hubbub and ballyhoo, the production office had spared no expense in preparation to receive our populist queen. My fellow runner and half-roommate Joe had spent most of his day running around to a bunch of Ralphs in an effort to find the coldest can of Pepsi when the singing sensation arrived, as she was currently engaged in a lucrative contract with the sugar-water purveyor.  I say half-roommate because I was currently squatting in his apartment, shared by another friend of ours who's name was only initials and, because the Long Beach dive was barely functional, it did lack the space to house a third person, so I slept underneath a structurally unsound air hockey table, fashioning a bed from the guest quilt and a few lumpy pillows.

All that to be said, I parked in a half spot down in P3, got in the elevator and was immediately vexed when I stopped on the god damn ground floor. I do believe I was humming "oops, I did it again," either caught up in the spirit of the day or in a effort to stave off the growing madness, but quickly stopped when a large african american man first entered, as wide as he was tall, with a huge role of neck on top of his neck. He eyeballed me and then held the doors open as Britany stepped on, along with her mom and sister. 

As graceful as a giraffe on the plains and elegant as a frame on one of those fancy museum paintings, Britany smiled and said hello. I then realized her music prowess wasn't hours of both voice and dance practice, meticulously crafting a stage personality, and constant management of what we now call social media presence- she had, with a smile, stolen my very power to speak. I did croak out something, and rode up in silence, praying that she couldn't hear me sweat. When we got up our receptionist Tracy, who, besides being an avid horse race gambler and on-the-job-drinker, had a surprisingly excellent sense of decorum, offered her a Pepsi (slightly warm because she picked up the ones on Joe's desk which he was stealing for mixers for an apartment party), and then ushered me out of the foyer with a joke about finding me a sham wow (that was a towel that could absorb a lake for the low, low price of 19.95 (plus shipping)).

True. Story.

Gah… another leader in the music industry that this place is tearing down because you don't have an ear for her type of music. There is no doubting she took music to a new level and has been behind the scenes helping other artists in their career. music came a long way because of her. yall should be ashamed of the trash yall are saying! specifically looking at you  @captmorgandrinker !!!