IGNORED

Music Debate 48: Britney Spears

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

37 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

4 minutes ago, zi said:

As graceful as a giraffe on the plains and elegant as a frame on one of those fancy museum paintings, Britany smiled and said hello. I then realized her music prowess wasn't hours of both voice and dance practice, meticulously crafting a stage personality, and constant management of what we now call social media presence- she had, with a smile, stolen my very power to speak.

True, or not, this is the "x-factor", "wow factor", what the french call a certain "I don't know".

Again, Disney (and music labels) find and exploit this because these people can sell literally anything to tens, if not hundreds, of millions of people.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Heres an example.  This is Joie Giordano.  I know her but not that well.  I do know the band members really well (I taught guitar with the guitar player and drummer at the same school).  They would do a live band karaoke and she would bartend.  Im saying to myself what does this girl not have that all those singers have?  Yet she's serving me drinks and singing in front of like 25 people.

Pretty good but not Britney Spears. 
Joie is like gets local gigs good and that’s better than most.

my uncle “tommy tunes” played music his whole life. Local gigs in the Florida keys. 
“ Florida straits band” with “rocket man” the pirate. Rumor has it rocket man is kin to Katie perry? 

anyway he was pretty good and a talented guitarist. And it paid his bills. But he never “made it”. He couldn’t sing very good. 

23 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Wow... ok.  Well whenever you get to play an instrument or sing, get back to me and let me know what you think! 🙂

Did he even listen to her? Lol. Shes 10 fold the singer spears is.  Thats her live voice. Britney Spears is a studio voice.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Did he even listen to her? Lol. Shes 10 fold the singer spears is.  Thats her live voice. Britney Spears is a studio voice.

I did listen to joie. She is a very talented singer. 

I never said Britney Spears is a great singer I just can’t believe people will say she can barley sing. 

1 hour ago, Calan87 said:

Gah… another leader in the music industry that this place is tearing down because you don't have an ear for her type of music. There is no doubting she took music to a new level and has been behind the scenes helping other artists in their career. music came a long way because of her. yall should be ashamed of the trash yall are saying! specifically looking at you  @captmorgandrinker !!! 

Either your sarcasm is on point, or we have completely different ideas of what "music" is.

Toxic is actually initially sung by Cathy Dennis, who had a big hit with "Touch Me" in the early 1990s

I own a large collection of vintage late 90s/early 2000s jukebox 45s with title strips, many of them I feel are very rare records
I own five Britney Spears ones. The picture sleeves for these are so rare they are almost non-existent. I think even Discogs says they don't exist, but they do.
I own the only sleeve for 'Oops I Did It Again' I've ever seen, and I've seen ones for the others only once or twice in the decade+ I've been collecting vinyl records. 
I was in 6th grade in 1998. Every boy had that CD I'm pretty sure haha. Mostly because her fly was unzipped on the inner cover. The first two albums were the only ones I thought
had anything of quality. It's top notch Swedish Pop. 'Sometimes' and 'From The Bottom of my Broken Heart' are actually really good songs, well sung and produced.
And the Sonny & Cher cover on her first CD? Not bad at all. But her 'barely illegal' vibes certainly sold the music and videos, haha

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Pop music has always been manufactured to a large degree. Most Motown artists didn't write their own songs. That doesn't mean that it's bad.

No, but they played and sang the FUCK out of them to a degree this world had never seen before. You are right about the lack of songwriting on many Motown performers' part, but as musical performers they were some of the most talented in history.

18 minutes ago, MachineCode said:

No, but they played and sang the FUCK out of them to a degree this world had never seen before. You are right about the lack of songwriting on many Motown performers' part, but as musical performers they were some of the most talented in history.

That's a good point. There was no autotune back then either. They had to be able to sing.

1 minute ago, SuperJimtendo said:

Used to work with a guy that was a huge holdsworth fan and also a big britney fan so there’s that for you

Just because you like fine dining doesn't mean you can't enjoy McDonalds every now and again. Sometimes you just like something despite knowing that it's basically crap. Nothing wrong with that.

• Haha 1