IGNORED

How many games did you buy in 2019?

After listening to the latest Collector's Quest podcast, I decided to go back and track all the games I bought last year...

Shit...I thought it was far less...I think that's the most I've ever bought in a year. I mean, my shelves are full and happy, but my wallet is not. And I've already bought 12 games so far this year, which is almost one per day. I really feel like I need to slow down. So, I ask....am I alone, or am I just being hard on myself? What do your spending habits look like? 

19 hours ago, DorkOverlord said:

After listening to the latest Collector's Quest podcast, I decided to go back and track all the games I bought last year...

Shit...I thought it was far less...I think that's the most I've ever bought in a year. I mean, my shelves are full and happy, but my wallet is not. And I've already bought 12 games so far this year, which is almost one per day. I really feel like I need to slow down. So, I ask....am I alone, or am I just being hard on myself? What do your spending habits look like? 

My advice: if your gut says slow down, then you should listen. I can assure you that there are people buying both more and less than you did last year. But it doesn't matter what others are doing. Some of the best advice I've heard about how to keep track of / keep your collecting in check goes back to financial planning (if you haven't already done this). Your gaming budget should come out as play money and after absolutely everything else has been met (even, say, saving for vacation). If you do this, you will likely worry less about what you've spent on games because you will have (hopefully!) met all of your other financial obligations _before_ you bought something!  It's a win-win, if you ask me. I hope this is helpful and doesn't come off badly! I wish you the best in your collecting journey. 

For the record, until recently, I hadn't been collecting games for about 2 years. I probably picked up 10 - 20 games each year during that time. These are things that were released I wanted or hoped to play for modern consoles. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

My advice: if your gut says slow down, then you should listen. I can assure you that there are people buying both more and less than you did last year. But it doesn't matter what others are doing. Some of the best advice I've heard about how to keep track of / keep your collecting in check goes back to financial planning (if you haven't already done this). Your gaming budget should come out as play money and after absolutely everything else has been met (even, say, saving for vacation). If you do this, you will likely worry less about what you've spent on games because you will have (hopefully!) met all of your other financial obligations _before_ you bought something!  It's a win-win, if you ask me. I hope this is helpful and doesn't come off badly! I wish you the best in your collecting journey. 

For the record, until recently, I hadn't been collecting games for about 2 years. I probably picked up 10 - 20 games each year during that time. These are things that were released I wanted or hoped to play for modern consoles. 

Yeah, I definitely only take funds from my "mad money" budget (I also collect vinyl, but not nearly at the same pace). I just wasn't keeping track of the large percentage of those funds going to games alone. I was just curious as to what the average person buys in a year, but I suppose everyone's different so maybe it was a weird question to ask. I think I'm actually going to start focusing more on vinyl this year to balance my hobbies out a bit. Anyway, thanks for the reply!

• Like 1

I bulked up my CIB NES collection with probably 200-300 games and bought a couple dozen current gen games in 2019. I've drastically decreased my current gen buying because I was only playing a fraction of them and looking at those unplayed games made me sad.

Super happy with my current strategy of collecting for older consoles and buying only if I will be playing for new consoles.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

If I had to guess...

30 Switch games

5 3DS games

2-3 SNES games

5 NES games

10 PS1/PS2 games

...and then the x number of random games that I ran across and bought if they were or screaming deal or could be resold for profit.  I bet I kept 20 of them.

So 75?

At least 50 or so... mainly NES, some SNES, bought an adaptor and even began picking up a couple famicon, which I’ve enjoyed playing to no end. On the other side of games though, I’ve also picked up quite a few systems... SNES upgrade, Atari 2600 upgrade, Wii (mainly for playing GameCube games), and the most prized of all.. which I do not regret in the slightest, and have even considered picking up a replacement in case my current one craps our or gets cap leaks... is the Commodore 64. I’ve coded homebrew for 2600, and I’m wrestling with myself as to what my next release will be... either 2600 or C64... either way I’m sure I’ll be happy with whatever I decide.

but yea... I need to cool down a bit this year haha

• Like 1

The number of physical games is a half dozen or less, most of which came at the end of the year when a bunch of stuff went on super deep discount (can't beat $10 Lego games for PS4 to play with my son).  Adding in non-freebie digital games, the total is still right around or under 10, as I only bought a couple of titles so my wife could play on my friends and family game server and picked up another copy of Minecraft so I could get mine back from her and actually play together.

Edited by darkchylde28