IGNORED

What do you hope to achieve/accomplish in the new 2020s decade (BESIDES weight loss/diet/exercise cliches!)

Estil

I don't know about the rest of you but I always find it quite exciting when a new decade is coming, for obvious reasons.  Of course the dawn of the millennium was even more awesome still but now even that time seems so primitive in many ways even though "the year 2000" was often used as a synonym for the future!  And it's so hard to believe that we're already seeing people born 2000 or later coming of legal age!!  Granted I don't think we're gonna see a real life version of Super Baseball 2020 or the second to last level of Turtles in Time that takes place in 2020 looking anything like in the game but I digress.

So while under normal circumstances it'd be just a regular ol' New Years Resolution thread, I think this is very much an above and beyond kind of thing that only comes once every ten years.  But as much as I'm wondering what kinds of neat things we may see in the 2020s in terms of tech and gaming and such (especially retro gaming), it's also a double edge sword for me.  See is just so happens I was born on a zero year (1980) so the new decade means I turn an age that ends in 0...and this time it's one of the biggest ones of all and most dreaded...40 😞  I mean turning 30 in 2010 was plenty bad enough but I can't be nearing the f-word already...it just feels way too soon, it just doesn't seem that long ago I graduated HS, college, got married, got our first kitty (1999/2003/2005/2010 respectively). 😞  I mean I've been here and at NA for several years and I don't think I've really change all that much, have I?  My wife claims I have matured somewhat over the years but on that I definitely am not so sure!

So what's on my wishlist for what I hope to achieve in this new decade?  Well here's a few things...

1. You guys know I like reading those encyclopedia yearbooks?  Well so far I've done the World Book ones from 1961-87 and the Britannica ones (those are bigger and take longer) from 1961-75 so for the new decade I'll be starting the big bicentennial year (1976) for the Brittanica Books of the Year...say for that matter we'll be having the United States United States Semiquincentennial or 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence in 2026!  Sure will be interesting to see what that kind of celebration will be like compared to 1976 and what kinds of neat commemorative coins and such we'll see!  Of course I sure hope sometime soon I might get some good quality 1940s/1950s Brittanica yearbooks!  Imagine reading about WWII as it was progressing and a current ongoing event at the time!

2. I've also been working on reading my local newspaper archive at newspapers.com  I chose to start with 1990 (I'm on around mid-May at the moment) because that was the year I became ten years old, moved to a new town I would stay at for the 90s until I went to UK and we did have some big things going on in our local area at the time as well.  For privacy reasons I'm not going to say which paper.  It's a local paper from KY, that's all you get to know! 🙂 

3. As far as video game stuff goes, I hope to pick up the Krizz version of the Sega CD Everdrive...that will be so exciting to be able to play Sega CD stuff as easily as you can Genesis/Master System games, and with apologies to the AVGN there are a few things on the Sega CD I do think are kinda interesting, like the Compton's Encyclopedia as their version of Wheel of Fortune (because the wheel is done just like on the actual game show, something we wouldn't see again until the N64 version) just to name a couple.  I also hope at some point to get a really nice PS1 sort of Everdrive that truly works as perfectly as the cartridge ones, doesn't cost a small fortune, and actually can use the real memory cards just like Nintendon't (GC "Everdrive" for the Wii) can.  I had always been mostly a Nintendo gamer though so I really should try harder to give the Genesis/Master System/PS1 some more love.  After all, didn't those who grow up in the mid-to-late 90s or so feel just as nostalgic for the PS1 as I do about the NES/SNES?

4. I think I'd like to take another and better crack at learning Japanese as well.  I just wish I had a better memory/recall because for whatever reason I just can't get that Hiragana/Katakana down cold like I should...and that's their version of their ABCs right?  And I'd think it shouldn't be much different than back in 2nd grade when we learned our times tables right?

5. I really wish I could get into Pokemon more...so far I've finished "Level 4" (out of eight Gym Bosses) for Red/Blue (G1)...maybe it'd help if I also did up to Level 4 of the GBA remakes and then go back to the Super Game Boy originals and do Levels 5-8?  Maybe it'd help make a little better sense of how the stuff in G1 works?  I mean this is a major part of video gaming history and I kinda owe it to myself to experience at least the first couple gens or so right?

6. My other main hobby is baseball/football/basketball/non-sports trading cards...and I hope to be able to do the 1971-1972 sets at least (PSA 7's for the HOFers/checklists and raw NRMT or better in binder/pages for the rest).  I currently have most of the key cards for 1973 but still need the remainder in raw NRMT or better in binder/pages...it's just tricky to find the right quality on Ebay 😞 

So that's just a few things I hope to achieve over the course of the 2020s...what about the rest of you?  And besides the weight loss/diet/exercise cliches 😉

• Like 3

I agree, 2020 sounds so futuristic like something out of a 80's sci-fi movie and now it's finally here. It's hard to believe the whole Y2K scare and the begging of the millennium was 20 years ago. It doesn't seem like much has changed since then but back in 2000 the majority of people were still using dial-up internet, CRT displays, flip phones, landlines, CD players, VCRs, reading the newspaper, and of course the three most popular systems were the Playstation, N64, and Dreamcast.

I'm not sure what to expect with this decade but hopefully it's better than the last as that felt pretty boring to me and went by so fast.

I guess we're in the same age range since I'm going to be turning 40 to so my main issue is hoping that my health holds up or improves in the next decade. The last one was probably the worst for me since I must have had at least one major negative personal event every year from 2013 through this year. I'm trying to maintain a positive attitude and even though it's really only a fresh start on a calender, that it will be a happier, healthier and more productive decade than the last one.

Mine's a health goal as well. Despite my gym attendance being alright, I want to go back to healthier eating. The grocery store across the store is closed to reno (Aug-March I think?) so been using it as an excuse to order pizza. Should also get back into doing cardio not just weights when it comes to exercising as well.

Mines health as well. I successfully quit smoking 2 years ago and since then I've been more conscious about what I eat and how active I am. I've kinda fallen off the band wagon though and plan to bump it back up. Aside from that I want to just play more games. I find I get distracted by social media and YouTube a lot more and dont take the time to just play stuff. I have a ton of games that I really should've played by now but havent, like Dark Souls, BOTW and even old stuff like Chrono Trigger.

• Like 2

The 2020s should be a settling down time for me. I spent all of the 2000s and most of the 2010s on getting my education and formal medical training finished up.  I've been practicing on my own for the last 4 years, but things have been busy with the birth of my first child, two deployments, and the general craziness of my job.

2020 will start with the birth of my second child (probably our last since I'm getting old), transition out of the military, moving to a new state and city, and finally starting a new job in the civilian world. Then we've got new consoles in November which I'm actually really excited for. I specifically love what Xbox has been doing for the past 4-5 years.

I'm a big proponent of living in the now, so I'm not pining for the future, but I am excited for the ship to finally steady a bit in 2021. Should have my forever home, family and job established, and not have the uncertainty that a military life brings.

Also, I'd like to complete my USA NES CIB set in 2020. Stadium Events may or may not be part of that depending on my future job.

It's a wonderful time to be alive.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

My hope is to travel for the first time ever. That's really all I've got. 

Where are you planning to go?  (and what is the farthest you've been from home?)

Travel is a great goal.  One of the few ways to completely force yourself out of your routine and see it from the outside.

Edited by arch_8ngel

Administrator · Posted
Just now, arch_8ngel said:

Where are you planning to go?  (and what is the farthest you've been from home?)

Farthest I've been is a few cities away, I've never left Ontario (not counting one very involuntary trip w/ my parents as a kid).

I'm hoooooping I can make it to MGC this year.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

About all I have is having hopes to make some major changes in personal life including with my youngest son with his issues going on been way too much wheel spinning and brick walls these past few years and if things go as planed for the next year onward I will be able to move forward at a better pace and to an extent also help where I can with my dad after this years events.  

Edited by MuNKeY
  • Like 3

Moderator · Posted

In addition to getting in better shape/lose some weight, I hope to learn to code so maybe I can really join the homebrew crew. I have a few bucket list items left like windsurfing, go fishing, and drive a race car.

I also hope that this decade will bring me a better sense of contentment with my life. I finally have a job where I like the work and the people, and they make me feel like a worthwhile addition. My career in law has had some ups and downs and I just want to reach a point where I feel happy, stable, and good at what I do.

And I think I’ll be kicking off the decade on a good note when next month I’m admitted to the Supreme Court bar!

• Like 2

In spring 2020 I’ll be finishing my schooling and starting my career so I’m hoping to finally be able to start saving more and look into purchasing a house in the next couple years. 

Id like to continue to work on my metal and physical health, neither are particularly bad but I would be much happier if they were better taken care of. 

Just continue to grow as a person and as a father. 

My 2 year goal is to finish my loose NES set though. 😉

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I'll be "finishing" the SNES library.  As in, beating the remaining titles I have targeted, getting the rankings done, calling my set complete (enough) and mostly retiring the console.

My book backlog is 100+ deep (with another 100 I'd consider).  I'm knocking it down to zero.  I read 40 this year and there's no reason I can't hit 50 next year.

Stay relatively in shape.

Our endgame house.  It will happen sooner than later but I already have a million projects in mind.

Continue my own professional growth.  Need to finally get around to tackling php, js, etc.

I think my game collecting (and serious enthusiasm) ends with the Switch.  I'm drawing an arbitrary line in the sand and will continue to try and play through all notable titles that were released up until that point.  But anything after that will be for my kids.  So I'll have an excuse to buy them a new console and Zelda, and maybe try it out myself.  But I'm out.  Otherwise the goalposts will only continue to move faster than I can keep up.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2019 at 12:51 AM, Estil said:

4. I think I'd like to take another and better crack at learning Japanese as well.  I just wish I had a better memory/recall because for whatever reason I just can't get that Hiragana/Katakana down cold like I should...and that's their version of their ABCs right?  And I'd think it shouldn't be much different than back in 2nd grade when we learned our times tables right?

This has been on my list for a long, long time. Far too long, honestly. I haven't stuck with it long enough / dedicated enough time each week. I've found the hardest part to be finding other people who are truly dedicated to the task AND available/willing to work at it in a way that makes sense for all parties. It is doable though and I encourage you to keep after it! Are you starting with listening and learning to speak, or have you jumped into reading/writing first?  I am a fan of the Pimsleur series because I've used it in the past and it's rather consistent across languages in its approach. There's also a Nintendo DS game that helps you to improve your writing. I'd have to look up the name of it (I've forgotten). 

This post really makes me wonder what my goals are... here are a few things I'd like to do:

Continue to travel (25/50 US states visited)

Become more proficient in another language (Japanese, Russian, Korean, or German)

Short term goal: finish Zelda Windwaker on GameCube... I never finished it during the original release 😛 

• Like 1

Well, I would love to make a little homebrew NES game sometime. I enjoyed making Moonfall, but this was mostly centered around the music, and the rom was basically a glorified title screen (Which was great for me as a first project since I was not biting off more than I could chew). So, I would love to continue learning more, and making a simple little game. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think my game collecting (and serious enthusiasm) ends with the Switch.  I'm drawing an arbitrary line in the sand and will continue to try and play through all notable titles that were released up until that point.  But anything after that will be for my kids.  So I'll have an excuse to buy them a new console and Zelda, and maybe try it out myself.  But I'm out.  Otherwise the goalposts will only continue to move faster than I can keep up.

I hear you. I am already mostly out of modern gaming. Only have a Switch and launch PS4. As Murtaugh said I’m to old for this shit. 

Events Team · Posted

Big thing for me would be to get my various mental health issues in check. Hopefully then I can finally start making progress in life again without being at a permanent standstill. Perhaps pursuing a higher education, getting a job, deciding on a potential career path, or otherwise pursuing my hopes and dreams, whatever it may be. I would give anything to greatly reduce, let alone entirely eradicate my depression and, to a lesser extent, my anxiety issues. I'm doing much better than I was last year given my encounter with suicide that I thankfully survived, but it's still not great. Would be nice to feel a consistent feeling of happiness, or at the very least contentedness. Would help me immeasurably in trying to dig up the motivation to start going somewhere in life, and I imagine that would do wonders to the rate at which I procrastinate.

Next thing up would be the usual weight loss goal, but to be fair I am quite the appleish man, so it's warranted. I lost a solid 20 or 25 pounds last year when I started speaking to a nutritionist, but I've managed to gain that weight back again due to the previously mentioned encounter with suicide kind of getting in the way of my progress there. Still though, that proved to me that it's perfectly doable, and once I start working on my motivation levels, I may be able to fully commit to that a bit better.

I've learned that if I try to plan too big, too optimistically and a little too detailed, it will usually all fall apart, so I figure it's best for me to keep it simple: Fix mental health, fix weight, as they both pose direct threats to my overall lifespan, among other reasons.

On a more lighthearted note, I do hope to start getting back in to the collecting scene, probably sometime in the latter half of the decade. I've been on a hiatus for a good while now, as I got one big item and figured that's about the best stopping point I could ask for, but I've always planned on getting back in to the game, I've never intended and still do not intend for this hiatus to be permanent.

Can't really think of anything else honestly, those are the big ones. First half of this decade wasn't too bad for me, but then the second half of it pulled a fast one on me and gave me a swift kick to the dick. Hopefully a little more consistency for me this coming decade would be nice, that would be my overall wish for what I hope this decade is like.

• Like 2