IGNORED

What do you hope to achieve/accomplish in the new 2020s decade (BESIDES weight loss/diet/exercise cliches!)

Estil

7 minutes ago, RH said:

My Dad served on an Aircraft Carrier similar to the USS Yorktown when he was in the Navy in late-50's.  We went to Patriots Point for one vacation one year and it was like having our own private tour guide.  I remember really enjoying the experience but that was over 25 years ago and, honestly, I don't remember much other than being both amazed how big the ship was, and also awe struck at how small it really was for airplanes to take off of and land on.

I had similar reactions on my tour of the USS Iowa. The shells it fired from the 16'' guns were almost as tall as I am, but the living quarters of the sailors were all so cramped. I never really got how thick the armor was on those ships or how big the guns were until seeing it for myself, either. They installed a bathtub for president Roosevelt on the ship, and that's really all the space they could make for additional accommodations.

Edited by Philosoraptor

On 12/24/2019 at 10:40 AM, Gloves said:

My hope is to travel for the first time ever. That's really all I've got. 

Live stream in Cincy. Doug vs Doug at any NES game. Let's do it! Please like this and tag @Gloves into shame if you want to see this happen!

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Editorials Team · Posted
9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Live stream in Cincy. Doug vs Doug at any NES game. Let's do it! Please like this and tag @Gloves into shame so this can happen!

God help Doug if he follows his ill-fated "vacation" to Delaware with a trip to Cincinnati

Come out to Montana to ski, get attacked by wolves, fly fish, and all the other usual stuff

@MeganJoanne ❤️

Mainly I"m planning on saving up some more money this year and put more effort into my freelance work. Going to make sure I'm more stable financially. Also looking to improve my Japanese even more... lost some interest in improving beyond the reading I do for work, had no friends around to speak with for many years, but I'm thinking of maybe hiring a tutor online to help with my speaking and listening.

Of course, although cliche, I"m planning on trying to lose weight. I want to go on the keto diet with my brother. It would be good for his diabetes and for me in general. I've heard good things about it and seen the results of people who have been on it, and I"m sold. I just love carbs too much. We'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ookii_risu said:

@MeganJoanne ❤️

Mainly I"m planning on saving up some more money this year and put more effort into my freelance work. Going to make sure I'm more stable financially. Also looking to improve my Japanese even more... lost some interest in improving beyond the reading I do for work, had no friends around to speak with for many years, but I'm thinking of maybe hiring a tutor online to help with my speaking and listening.

Of course, although cliche, I"m planning on trying to lose weight. I want to go on the keto diet with my brother. It would be good for his diabetes and for me in general. I've heard good things about it and seen the results of people who have been on it, and I"m sold. I just love carbs too much. We'll see how it goes.

You've been a friend since I joined NA in 2011 and @MeganJoanne has always been fun to talk to since she played in the NA weekly contests so I'm wishing the best for both of you guys. You know it's been a rough year for me, so hopefully we can all turn the corner next year!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

You've been a friend since I joined NA in 2011 and @MeganJoanne has always been fun to talk to since she played in the NA weekly contests so I'm wishing the best for both of you guys. You know it's been a rough year for me, so hopefully we can all turn the corner next year!

Thanks, Doug, and thanks for being a good friend all these years. I really hope the new year treats you well!

Get a second Jeep, a 2 door preferably for trails and hopefully find a new location for our childcare center as our lease is up on January 31 and we can't stay there anymore with the landlord being such a prick. He said we owned him $35,000 and laughed about it, when we do not owe anything except for the last month. Just so many years with him and the company, it is such a pain. Had to already use a lawyer before for another incident. It will be brand new as well so that would be just absolutely a blessing if it can happen for us. Oh and that cliche of getting back to shape lol. Just got a fully paid year membership from my dad at an exclusive gym, so maybe back to bodybuilding like how I used to do it a few years back. I miss it a lot.

On 12/24/2019 at 1:51 AM, Estil said:

3. As far as video game stuff goes, I hope to pick up the Krizz version of the Sega CD Everdrive...that will be so exciting to be able to play Sega CD stuff as easily as you can Genesis/Master System games, and with apologies to the AVGN there are a few things on the Sega CD I do think are kinda interesting............

I have always maintained that the Sega CD has one of the highest ratios of top tier (and  second tier games also) to games  available of just about any console - simply because the US catalog was really small but nonetheless had some great titles.  

I will finish my graphic novel, attend some conventions to sell it at.

write a new script.

For videogame stuff: I'll probably keep playing Atari games for the monthly challenge thread (even though I'm the only one doing it so far). get a spinner for my 1up. keep an eye out if I can ever find one on clearance.

(and lose weight. cliche though it may be.)

On 12/25/2019 at 5:45 PM, ninjistar said:

This has been on my list for a long, long time. Far too long, honestly. I haven't stuck with it long enough / dedicated enough time each week. I've found the hardest part to be finding other people who are truly dedicated to the task AND available/willing to work at it in a way that makes sense for all parties. It is doable though and I encourage you to keep after it! Are you starting with listening and learning to speak, or have you jumped into reading/writing first?

My main inspiration is to be able to read JP-only Famicom or Super Famicom games...so I MUST get the Hiragana and Katakana down cold somehow someway...I can't get by with just romanji.  I'd like first to learn the numbers/colors/days of the week/months since everyone uses those.  My wife got me the Rosetta Stone program (all three levels) and I got the My Japanese Coach on my DS "Everdrive"...I hope those help

8 hours ago, Estil said:

My main inspiration is to be able to read JP-only Famicom or Super Famicom games...so I MUST get the Hiragana and Katakana down cold somehow someway...I can't get by with just romanji.  I'd like first to learn the numbers/colors/days of the week/months since everyone uses those.  My wife got me the Rosetta Stone program (all three levels) and I got the My Japanese Coach on my DS "Everdrive"...I hope those help

How I first started to learn, all my focus was just on writing at the beginning. I had a kana workbook and it showed the steps on how to write them and I wrote each one over and over again, committing them to memory. Had it all down in memory in 3 weeks. And then started to learn various words, mostly easy stuff, nouns, animals, nature, stuff like that. Writing helps a lot of remembering, thus is my suggestion if you want to be able to recognize kana to read it, write and read each of them outloud to yourself over and over until you have it and each day review and you should have it soon after in memory.

Oh, and don't try to tackle too many in one day, vowels first day or however many days you need : あ、い、う、え、お (a, i, u, e, o), and then next time go with the first group of consonant + vowel with : か、き、く、け、こ (ka, ki, ku, ke, ko), and then next time with the S + vowel, and so on with t, n, h, m, y, r, w, and then the final consonant only ん (n). And that would be for hirigana. Once you mastered those, then do the same with katakana same way. Giving yourself small groups to work with in each for as long as you feel you need to remember then and move on to the next once you got them.

That is what worked for me anyway. Found a site that shows the stroke order, click on each kana to see it drawn out (certainly a lot easier than trying to follow just a diagram : http://www.easyjapanese.org/write_hiragana.html

Edited by MeganJoanne
added more notes
  • Thanks 1

So I guess I narrowed it down to three main goals for the 2020s, in order; I like to call these my learning sorts of goals/resolutions 🙂

1. Continue reading my Britannica Books of the Year - I started with 1961 sometime last year and I'll be starting the new year with 1976, our bicentennial!  I did the World Book ones from 1961-87 back in 2017.

2. Continue reading my local newspaper archive at newspapers.com - I started with 1990 (turned ten, moved to town I'd live in for all the 90s); I'm now at mid-May

3. Resume learning to read Japanese - I currently have to help me the Rosetta Stone program, My Japanese Coach (DS), Japanese From Zero, and Japanese For Dummies

And the good part about the above three is that they're the ones I can do without hardly spending a penny (besides the newspapers.com subscription).  I can just use what I currently have.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1

We want to move out of our 1 bedroom condo into a larger place sooner than later.  2020 will be finally getting my emergency savings and starting a push towards another down payment. Aiming for all credit debt gone and $5000 in the bank.

I also want to finish selling off consoles and games I don't use.  Lot of stuff just sitting around.  To support that I only intend to buy a handful of titles.  So much in the backlog that it's a good excuse to put a dent in it.