IGNORED

What do you hope to achieve/accomplish in the new 2020s decade (BESIDES weight loss/diet/exercise cliches!)

Estil

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Big thing for me would be to get my various mental health issues in check. Hopefully then I can finally start making progress in life again without being at a permanent standstill. Perhaps pursuing a higher education, getting a job, deciding on a potential career path, or otherwise pursuing my hopes and dreams, whatever it may be. I would give anything to greatly reduce, let alone entirely eradicate my depression and, to a lesser extent, my anxiety issues. I'm doing much better than I was last year given my encounter with suicide that I thankfully survived, but it's still not great. Would be nice to feel a consistent feeling of happiness, or at the very least contentedness. Would help me immeasurably in trying to dig up the motivation to start going somewhere in life, and I imagine that would do wonders to the rate at which I procrastinate.

Next thing up would be the usual weight loss goal, but to be fair I am quite the appleish man, so it's warranted. I lost a solid 20 or 25 pounds last year when I started speaking to a nutritionist, but I've managed to gain that weight back again due to the previously mentioned encounter with suicide kind of getting in the way of my progress there. Still though, that proved to me that it's perfectly doable, and once I start working on my motivation levels, I may be able to fully commit to that a bit better.

I've learned that if I try to plan too big, too optimistically and a little too detailed, it will usually all fall apart, so I figure it's best for me to keep it simple: Fix mental health, fix weight, as they both pose direct threats to my overall lifespan, among other reasons.

On a more lighthearted note, I do hope to start getting back in to the collecting scene, probably sometime in the latter half of the decade. I've been on a hiatus for a good while now, as I got one big item and figured that's about the best stopping point I could ask for, but I've always planned on getting back in to the game, I've never intended and still do not intend for this hiatus to be permanent.

Can't really think of anything else honestly, those are the big ones. First half of this decade wasn't too bad for me, but then the second half of it pulled a fast one on me and gave me a swift kick to the dick. Hopefully a little more consistency for me this coming decade would be nice, that would be my overall wish for what I hope this decade is like.

Good luck! You can do it! We are here for you.

And never forget, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

I have simple goals for the start of this new decade.
Help with the growth of the female Fighting games esports scene here in Brazil, for which I already took the first step by helping organize a women's only SFV tournament that will take place on the 25th of January:

Become a more relevant Street Fighter player till a younger woman achieve my skill level and take over.
Never look at any kind of software development ever again
Get back to travel abroad. There are so many places in the world I need to see.
Remain able to lift over my head and throw objects and men up to 150~180 pounds of weight
Maybe find a nice woman my age and settle down.
Adopt two kids in 2030.

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

Good luck! You can do it! We are here for you.

And never forget, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. 

Thank you, I really appreciate it a lot 💚 I've already made a good bit of progress compared to the place I've been in the last few years thanks to therapy (which I'll be starting up again early next year) and gaining some very good friends, so hopefully I can keep the momentum going. I don't mind if it takes 10, 20, 30 years to get my mental health and weight in check, just as long as the end result is a person content with their life 🙂

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Hmmm....what do I want to accomplish over the next decade....a lot!  Some big ones are:

* Completely payoff my home mortgage and be debt free including home [currently on track for this]
* Travel to a new country (or at the very least city), each year.  I visited Costa Rica and Nicaragua this year, and plan to visit England and France in 2020. 
* Dream-trip to Japan within next 5 years
* Try as many new cuisines as possible.  I love trying new food and international cuisine.

Game Related:
* Pair down and refine / sell off a lot of general stuff in my collection
* Finish my US PS2 Trade demo collection (only 5 remaining)
* Finish my Japan PS2 Demo / taikenban collection (lots remaining)

This final one may sound a bit cliche, but I just want to get as much out of life as possible.  Too many people sit back and make goals like this with a sort of reservation that they will never happen.  I am a firm believer in just really embracing these goals and planning to make sure they happen.  I don't want to just talk about traveling more like it is some fantasy - I want to do it and am planning to make sure it happens.  

And even on the smaller scale - day to day basis --- there is so much to do and so much to enjoy.  Don't just sit back and let life happen passively! 🙂

I wish all of you the very best with your goals and dreams!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Thank you, I really appreciate it a lot 💚 I've already made a good bit of progress compared to the place I've been in the last few years thanks to therapy (which I'll be starting up again early next year) and gaining some very good friends, so hopefully I can keep the momentum going. I don't mind if it takes 10, 20, 30 years to get my mental health and weight in check, just as long as the end result is a person content with their life 🙂

Something as simple as changing what you eat can go a long way to improving your health. The main goal in eating healthy is to cut out sugar, processed foods and limit alcohol intake. It is not easy, but it can be done. 

Go in for my first day of work tomorrow, training several days before moving over to overnights. Will be my first time back to working in over 3 and a half years. I'm really excited and also very nervous about that, but also feel confident that I can do it. Thus for the new year look to get even more comfortable with my job and continue to always do good at it.

Open of bank account of my own and start saving money for future. But have to wait until I get updated ID in, hopefully will get soon.

Continue to cross-stitch. Sad note, I destroyed nearly all of my cross-stitches last year during a mental breakdown which was going to end in suicide, but never got to that point. I totally given up on life and was super deep in depression. Thought I would never even stitch again after that ordeal and the damage I had done, but now I am. Not heavily, but enough to help me realize that I should have kept doing them all along, instead of trying to destroy myself and everything I liked. And even my sister, the one whom tossed my mom and I to the curb many years ago asked me to make one for one of her sons for his birthday so come sometime after the start of the new year once I have a chance will start stitching that. And who knows, maybe someday things can be patched up with family, don't know for sure about that, but one can hope.

1070646724_2017-7-3cross-stitches-Batman-Joker.thumb.jpg.4908dfa419492658c51380455478678e.jpgIMG_20180405_171430.thumb.jpg.1d8db439284160efeace2ade7d8d7a65.jpg

I topic on here some time ago regarding trying to read some Japanese words in a memorial album somehow sorta rekindled my interest to get back into studying it, but my interest was strengthen even more once I got to becoming friends with ookii_risu so while still also studying french, japanese has sorta take to the front again on language learning. So I will continue to improve and learn more into next year.

Get eyes tested and new glasses, one of my old ones the arms broke off of it and I had to come up with something as a temporary fix (paper clips, no shit, and it works) so that when I start working I will be able to see. So yeah, once I get enough money going to get some new glasses. My eyes have gotten worst in that also have trouble seeing super close up so I'm sure the prescription will be slightly different.

2112429792_2019-12-24eyeglassframefixpapercliparms-pic2.thumb.JPG.f18cdab998bf868f0768d400d2bcc0f7.JPG

Continue to build my relationship with my girlfriend and then meet her in person (I can't wait, but thou must). I smile every time I talk to her and think of her when I'm not, she's the best thing that has happened to me since ever so no way I'm letting that one go. I actually for once feel hopeful about my life. Thus why I even got to get up the ambition to stitch again, to get a job again and really pushed for it.

I dunno what else, could be lots of different things, but mostly, just to make life great again!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Administrator · Posted

@MeganJoanne I know you've encountered lots of difficulties, but I am really happy for you that you seem to have a very positive outlook and some future ambitions, regaining some hope again.  I wish you the best and I hope you accomplish your goals.  Please hold on to this hope - it is precious, and powerful.  Try to remember this feeling in any days ahead, where you may feel a bit lost at times.  There is always hope somewhere.  Have a great New Years and I hope the next year and beyond brings many good things for you.

• Like 3

Events Team · Posted
54 minutes ago, MeganJoanne said:

Go in for my first day of work tomorrow, training several days before moving over to overnights. Will be my first time back to working in over 3 and a half years. I'm really excited and also very nervous about that, but also feel confident that I can do it. Thus for the new year look to get even more comfortable with my job and continue to always do good at it.

Open of bank account of my own and start saving money for future. But have to wait until I get updated ID in, hopefully will get soon.

Continue to cross-stitch. Sad note, I destroyed nearly all of my cross-stitches last year during a mental breakdown which was going to end in suicide, but never got to that point. I totally given up on life and was super deep in depression. Thought I would never even stitch again after that ordeal and the damage I had done, but now I am. Not heavily, but enough to help me realize that I should have kept doing them all along, instead of trying to destroy myself and everything I liked. And even my sister, the one whom tossed my mom and I to the curb many years ago asked me to make one for one of her sons for his birthday so come sometime after the start of the new year once I have a chance will start stitching that. And who knows, maybe someday things can be patched up with family, don't know for sure about that, but one can hope.

1070646724_2017-7-3cross-stitches-Batman-Joker.thumb.jpg.4908dfa419492658c51380455478678e.jpgIMG_20180405_171430.thumb.jpg.1d8db439284160efeace2ade7d8d7a65.jpg

I topic on here some time ago regarding trying to read some Japanese words in a memorial album somehow sorta rekindled my interest to get back into studying it, but my interest was strengthen even more once I got to becoming friends with ookii_risu so while still also studying french, japanese has sorta take to the front again on language learning. So I will continue to improve and learn more into next year.

Get eyes tested and new glasses, one of my old ones the arms broke off of it and I had to come up with something as a temporary fix (paper clips, no shit, and it works) so that when I start working I will be able to see. So yeah, once I get enough money going to get some new glasses. My eyes have gotten worst in that also have trouble seeing super close up so I'm sure the prescription will be slightly different.

2112429792_2019-12-24eyeglassframefixpapercliparms-pic2.thumb.JPG.f18cdab998bf868f0768d400d2bcc0f7.JPG

Continue to build my relationship with my girlfriend and then meet her in person (I can't wait, but thou must). I smile every time I talk to her and think of her when I'm not, she's the best thing that has happened to me since ever so no way I'm letting that one go. I actually for once feel hopeful about my life. Thus why I even got to get up the ambition to stitch again, to get a job again and really pushed for it.

I dunno what else, could be lots of different things, but mostly, just to make life great again!

Hey there, sorry you had to go through all that. I went through a similar thing, although my incident was more along the lines of slowly, depressingly walking towards my method of self-execution with my head looking down, whereas it sounds like you had more of a breakdown. Super glad you didn't go through with it and things seem to be going better for you, and I'm REALLY glad you have that genuine feeling of hope for the future. I know very well how intoxicatingly euphoric that feeling is after you've had little to no hope for so long. Hold on to that feeling as tight as you can, because it's the best feeling in the world after you go through so much hell. Hope you had a decent Christmas, and I'll raise a glass of 'nog in your name. Here's to a better and brighter future for you 🙂

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, RH said:

By the end of 2029 I'll be... 48 with an 18 year old daughter and a 16 year old son.  Jeez, I guess my upcoming goals is to basically finish molding a couple model citizens that are self-reliant and contributing to society (or well on their way to meeting that goal.)

Sounds like a solid goal to have to me! 👍

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Hey there, sorry you had to go through all that. I went through a similar thing, although my incident was more along the lines of slowly, depressingly walking towards my method of self-execution with my head looking down, whereas it sounds like you had more of a breakdown. Super glad you didn't go through with it and things seem to be going better for you, and I'm REALLY glad you have that genuine feeling of hope for the future. I know very well how intoxicatingly euphoric that feeling is after you've had little to no hope for so long. Hold on to that feeling as tight as you can, because it's the best feeling in the world after you go through so much hell. Hope you had a decent Christmas, and I'll raise a glass of 'nog in your name. Here's to a better and brighter future for you 🙂

Life is hard, and can totally suck, and as bad as it seems at the time sometimes I think we need to be broken first, sometimes many times, and if we can last through that, then we can come back stronger against it. Also, it really helps a lot that one doesn't feel alone through it all, that is about the worst thing, and thus I went some years isolated, just sitting in this dark deep hole I felt into and it was hard just to reach up and climb out of, and actually found myself digging deeper and deeper, I wanted to die, but I didn't, and now I don't want to. So lifts my glass of water, here's to clear bright hopeful futures!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RH said:

By the end of 2029 I'll be... 48 with an 18 year old daughter and a 16 year old son.  Jeez, I guess my upcoming goals is to basically finish molding a couple model citizens that are self-reliant and contributing to society (or well on their way to meeting that goal.)

I'm sure you are well on your way and in 10 years you can look back on this post and be proud of all that you accomplished!

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, MeganJoanne said:

Life is hard, and can totally suck, and as bad as it seems at the time sometimes I think we need to be broken first, sometimes many times, and if we can last through that, then we can come back stronger against it. Also, it really helps a lot that one doesn't feel alone through it all, that is about the worst thing, and thus I went some years isolated, just sitting in this dark deep hole I felt into and it was hard just to reach up and climb out of, and actually found myself digging deeper and deeper, I wanted to die, but I didn't, and now I don't want to. So lifts my glass of water, here's to clear bright hopeful futures!

That is absolutely true. Being completely shattered just makes you that much stronger when you manage to put yourself back together. I'm definitely a far more mature and empathetic person now than I ever would have become had I not gone through some of the things I have. Going through something terrible makes it much easier for you to empathize and support someone who is also going through something terrible, so I suppose that's something of a silver lining in all this.

Also, water is certainly a solid choice 😄

I haven't really given it much thought up until now, but I hope to do some self-improvement in the coming decade. I really hope to:

• Be a better person every day.
  • Get better about saving money.
  • Reconnect with some of my family. We've gotten fragmented over the years thanks to deaths, divorces, petty fights, and scheduling issues.

On top of that, I'd also like to accomplish some other random goals that have been on my bucket list or in the back of my mind for the past couple of years:

• Continue to beat 20 games a year, every year.
  • Play, and hopefully beat, every English-language Pokemon game released on consoles. I've only played between 40-50 of the 75ish English releases so far (depending on if you count games like Smash or digital-only games), as well as Pokemon Green and Pokemon Card GB2.
  • Beat a Castlevania, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, Fallout, Metal Gear Solid, Super Robot Taisen, and Mega Man game.
  • See more historic museum ships. I've seen the USS Iowa, and I plan on going to see the USS Batfish (when it gets repaired and re-moored from the flood damage),  USS Texas (when it is repaired and finds a new home port),  USS Lexington, USS Cavalla, and USS Stewart at some point in the next decade. A bucket list trip would be to go see the USS Constitution.
  • See at least one castle.
  • Play more basketball.
  • Like 3

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That would be pretty cool actually. It's like the VGS version of a time capsule. We can all check back when we are pushing 50 and see how we turned out!

Yeah, that would be pretty neat. And, uh, I wouldn't even be pushing 30 personally, but I would still absolutely see if I lived up to my own expectations for sure 🙂

Just now, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, that would be pretty neat. And, uh, I wouldn't even be pushing 30 personally, but I would still absolutely see if I lived up to my own expectations for sure 🙂

I keep forgetting everyone isn't NES era old. Good for you setting goals as early as you are. When you hit them in the next 10 years, just think how much more awesome you'll be!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Philosoraptor said:

See more historic museum ships. I've seen the USS Iowa, and I plan on going to see the USS Batfish (when it gets repaired and re-moored from the flood damage),  USS Texas (when it is repaired and finds a new home port),  USS Lexington, USS Cavalla, and USS Stewart at some point in the next decade. A bucket list trip would be to go see the USS Constitution.

You should check out the USS Alabama, USS Yorktown, and USS Midway. All were pretty cool. I saw the USS Constitution on an eight grade field trip. Also went to the USS Intrepid on that trip.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, themisfit138 said:

You should check out the USS Alabama, USS Yorktown, and USS Midway. All were pretty cool. I saw the USS Constitution on an eight grade field trip. Also went to the USS Intrepid on that trip.  

My Dad served on an Aircraft Carrier similar to the USS Yorktown when he was in the Navy in late-50's.  We went to Patriots Point for one vacation one year and it was like having our own private tour guide.  I remember really enjoying the experience but that was over 25 years ago and, honestly, I don't remember much other than being both amazed how big the ship was, and also awe struck at how small it really was for airplanes to take off of and land on.

• Like 3