Jump to content
IGNORED

VGS - Online "Netiquette"


fsped09
 Share

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, ap123 said:

I somewhat agree, but in Dain's defense the sale was for everything video game related that he owned, which included NA. I doubt the sale would have gone through if he had  taken NA off the table.

I thought the sale was the other way around?  I thought GoCollect wanted to buy NA for the data contained therein (which is more in line with their current business) and instead got all of the physical gaming items as well, since it was for everything video game related.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Subscriber T1 · Posted
2 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I thought the sale was the other way around?  I thought GoCollect wanted to buy NA for the data contained therein (which is more in line with their current business) and instead got all of the physical gaming items as well, since it was for everything video game related.

Actually, that makes more sense. Either way, it was a bundled deal, so all or nothing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

I like this thread quite a bit, at least as an attempt to be respectful of NA.  One thing I'll mention that might get a lil heat, is that while everyone is bothered by corporate America, not many folks seem bothered that Dain essentially took a sledge hammer to the foundation of NA when he sold it swiftly and quietly.  He could have been more open to the community, whom seemed open to potentially purchasing and taking the reigns over.

I really think the various negative vibes against NA's new owners are a tad bit out of line - they are a business unfortunately and someone handed them the keys.  Yes, the NA foundation was cracking a bit under Dain, but I get the "Jesse driving away maniacally in the Breaking Bad finale" sense with Dain's sale :(.

I hope NA's new owners do make it a nice shiny place, and I'll happily live on both sites until I cannot.

It depends on how you look at it.   From a "you took away our site and you suck" point of view that lots of peeps had at the first awkward announcement, you do have a point.

From the absolutely fucking zero they have done in the 5-6 months since?    They've earned that shade.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

It depends on how you look at it.   From a "you took away our site and you suck" point of view that lots of peeps had at the first awkward announcement, you do have a point.

From the absolutely fucking zero they have done in the 5-6 months since?    They've earned that shade.

You could make a case for dain doing things better but most of us haven't been in the position of unloading a hobby turned boat anchor for a pile of cash. Given we only had na in the first place because of him I'm not gonna sweat that too much.

Gocollect deserves all the shit they get and more. Whatever their business plans, they inherited an active community and stonewalled it. It would have been super easy to be minimally involved, keep the guys running the site up to date and empowered to continue doing so, and take community help to address the problems. It all could have gone so much smoother with a better outcome. But they went silent and shits failing and they're in "we've tried nothing and we're out of ideas" mode.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

It depends on how you look at it.   From a "you took away our site and you suck" point of view that lots of peeps had at the first awkward announcement, you do have a point.

From the absolutely fucking zero they have done in the 5-6 months since?    They've earned that shade.

Yep I don't disagree at all.  Just reminding folks that all the "corporate" takeover was accepted with open arms from the prior owner of NA, unfortunately.  When a business takes over something with minimal if any direct profits, of course they won't invest much time/energy/resources on that asset 😞.  The fact they've left NA standing is notable IMO (even if it's used to advertise Heritage/WATA stuff and/or data mine).

Thus I'm glad this thread was opened and I encourage the community be respectful to/with/about NA.  I personally think some of the posts over on NA as of late are a bit childish and scream entitlement problems and very much come off as VGS vs NA.  I'll leave it at that, it's sad enough to see NA fall apart, let alone pour gas on the fire as it burns.  I hope we're better than that 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted

Fortunately, I don't think it was a majority of people who were engaging in such antics.  I think it's important for people to remember that the majority of people who both planned and executed the new place, as well as a majority of users, came over here with positivity and didn't create trashy posts.  

As with most things, I hope that a few overenthusiastic or vocal people, don't create any sort of 'image' in some minds about what VGS is about.  We have really worked hard to make sure that VGS is not just an NA alternative, but a new place and a sort of 'fresh start' - we welcome people with a broad variety of interests - gamers, collectors, developers, and we welcome discussion of more than just NES or Nintendo.  And of course we have no direct ties to any of the popular companies that have been surrounded with a little bit of controversy lately.  It is my hope that people can move on from whatever was before, enjoy the new place, and help make VGS the best it can be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boosted52405 said:

Yep I don't disagree at all.  Just reminding folks that all the "corporate" takeover was accepted with open arms from the prior owner of NA, unfortunately.  When a business takes over something with minimal if any direct profits, of course they won't invest much time/energy/resources on that asset 😞 The fact they've left NA standing is notable IMO (even if it's used to advertise Heritage/WATA stuff and/or data mine).

Thus I'm glad this thread was opened and I encourage the community be respectful to/with/about NA.  I personally think some of the posts over on NA as of late are a bit childish and scream entitlement problems and very much come off as VGS vs NA.  I'll leave it at that, it's sad enough to see NA fall apart, let alone pour gas on the fire as it burns.  I hope we're better than that 🙂

I guess you haven't tried to log onto it today huh 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lincoln said:

You could make a case for dain doing things better but most of us haven't been in the position of unloading a hobby turned boat anchor for a pile of cash. Given we only had na in the first place because of him I'm not gonna sweat that too much

I don't think anyone is questioning that. Its how he went about it. He didn't even say goodbye or thanks to any of the Mods/Admins that volunteered to keep his site going all these years. 

We didn't need a parade in our honor, but a two minute post saying, "Thanks for all the effort gang" would have gone a long way (at least for me). 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The BanHammer Doth spoken!!!

 

 

So we already had to smoke our first member. 
 

We are not in the business of censoring people. But If you act like an asshole HERE, or Elsewhere and we hear about it (or you brag about it here) we are just going to cut ties. 
 

Sorry, but this is a new start for us and we want to keep everything clean and friendly. 

  • Thanks 5
  • Wow! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Who?? Exactly my  thought... such a tease.  Can we have a VGA's most unwanted thread with names of banned members and crime committed so people can see actions have consequences and what can and will get you banned? Would be helpful and slightly entertaining...   like watching court tv.  

Edited by 8bitdontquit
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2019 at 3:19 PM, MrWunderful said:

The BanHammer Doth spoken!!!

So we already had to smoke our first member. 

We are not in the business of censoring people. But If you act like an asshole HERE, or Elsewhere and we hear about it (or you brag about it here) we are just going to cut ties. 

Sorry, but this is a new start for us and we want to keep everything clean and friendly. 

 Out of morbid curiosity, is there a way to search for members who have been banned? Does their avatar change? Are their any sweet juicy details for us to devour like so many confections? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bear85 Was banned for 1 week because he was trolling NA/gocollect after we repeatedly asked people not to. 
 

a few things about bans:

 

we havent decided if we are going to institute a warning system or not, or if trolls are just going to be iced. 
 

Everyone here “should” be an adult and act like so. Please see the site rules. 
 

We are messing with how banned members appear to public. 
 

There will be no HoS style list, but the goal is to be more transparent about bans in future. 

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parading people isn't the right way to do things, one has to think about if it were them, creating a topic or list for everyone to see and comment on, shame them over and over, this kind of shit can carry over for some people into their lives, can ruin a person. Such antics are childish and bullying, it's not like they are rapist or murders (okay they could be, anyone could, but that wouldn't be their crime regarding a forum banning). They talk trash too much, ban 'em if they refuse to follow rules, they screw somebody over, same, and sure, others have to know they are untrustworthy or whatever, but making a game of it and making fun for your own amusement is not something I would like to see, even if I don't go into said topic or list. There are better ways to do things without it coming off as people here being looked at negative and spiteful or such. The whole point of a place like this is to bring people together, not drive them away. Sure assholes need to be banned if they become a problem and the worst everyone does need to know to beware of their behavior but at the same time, if you want more and more people to join, and stay, keep the negative vibes to a minimum so people will say how cool this place is instead of talking trash about it. Same thing with the old board, NA, it's done, no point dwelling on it because what we are doing here as a community, we're still together, so really, has anything truly fallen apart? Yeah, NA fell, but it brought us people together to begin with so remember to always remember and respect that, no matter how it fell, all good shit comes to an end, or in some cases, continues to live in another form, thus here we are. Right? Clean and friendly, but at the same time, don't take any shit, can't have people doing whatever they want after all at the expense of others, but respectable and mature.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...
On 11/2/2019 at 7:52 AM, MrWunderful said:

Bear85 Was banned for 1 week because he was trolling NA/gocollect after we repeatedly asked people not to. 
 

a few things about bans:

 

we havent decided if we are going to institute a warning system or not, or if trolls are just going to be iced. 
 

Everyone here “should” be an adult and act like so. Please see the site rules. 
 

We are messing with how banned members appear to public. 
 

There will be no HoS style list, but the goal is to be more transparent about bans in future. 

This is true and I learned my lesson, and since then I just come in here, read what’s going on and move on haha. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...
On 11/2/2019 at 9:52 AM, MrWunderful said:

Bear85 Was banned for 1 week because he was trolling NA/gocollect after we repeatedly asked people not to. 

a few things about bans:

we havent decided if we are going to institute a warning system or not, or if trolls are just going to be iced. 

You know I thought traditionally the term "ban" was only used for someone who's kicked out for good...while "suspension" was used for if they're only out for say, a day or a week or something.  Sort of like how you sometimes hear "expel" used as if it's the same thing as a suspension from school but actually "expulsion" is where you're kicked out for the remainder of the school year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2020 at 7:20 AM, Estil said:

You know I thought traditionally the term "ban" was only used for someone who's kicked out for good...while "suspension" was used for if they're only out for say, a day or a week or something.  Sort of like how you sometimes hear "expel" used as if it's the same thing as a suspension from school but actually "expulsion" is where you're kicked out for the remainder of the school year.

We usually call that "temp ban".   I understand your thinking, but from a site perspective there's only things like ban, mute, etc.

Generally we try to do temp bans first unless it's a scammer, spammer, or they do something so egregious we absolutely don't want them around here at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...