IGNORED

What do y'all do to stay in shape?

Splain

Editorials Team · Posted

I can't do anything that takes too much time, much like everyone in the world. I used to do the "7 minute workout" thing for a while, but it's not fun to do, so it's hard to get back into it. If the stars align, I play racquetball with a buddy on Saturday mornings, but it's not consistent. Nowadays I do pushups and pullups when I have time in the mornings (so, never) and if I have time to play GB or Switch at home, then I fire up the treadmill and walk uphill while I play, which is at least better than sitting. What are you all able to fit in?

4 days a week of weights, sometimes Saturday morning too.

Sunday morning basketball scheduled weekly... though realistically I've been doing about every other week at this point.

If you don't have time to exercise then you have to watch what you eat.  Ideally you have to do both but if you only focus on one you can generally get away without doing the other. 

I use a rowing machine a few times a week and replaced junk food with a meal replacement shake (Huel), which regardless of what you feel about it has a lot less sugar than junk food. I'm not in shape at all though. Still need to eat less delicious garbage.

Edited by DefaultGen

Monday morning - ice hockey before work

Wednesday night - ball hockey

Friday night - ice hockey

Saturday - snowboarding all day

Sunday - ball hockey

I'm almost 40 and I pretty much eat whatever the hell I want, I'll eat an entire pizza and then a few hands full of chocolate bars. I haven't been inside a gym in 16 years and according to Garmin my resting heart rate is 49 beats per minute.

I also make wise life choices though, I eat a healthy breakfast but I think the most important thing is that I eat breakfast at all. I know a lot of people that skip breakfast and that's not healthy for you, it actually slows down your metabolism. I'll have a fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast, 7 days a week, for the last 6 years. I bought a really expensive Vitamix blender to do the job and I throw in a banana (to thicken it up), a frozen yogurt, a few balls of spinach ($1 for a big bag), a hand full of frozen fruit ($5 for a bag) and a scoop of protein. The protein serves no other purpose but to keep me from being hungry, your pre-lunch hunger pains aren't from lack of food, it's from lack of protein specifically. If you have a high protein breakfast, you won't get hungry so early.

I don't eat any fast food but that's because I don't like the taste of it. It has been so long now since I have eaten it, that I'm actually at the point where it makes me sick if I do eat it. The last time I ate McDonald's I shit 6 times in one day. My body just can't handle that garbage any more and I like that because it gives me a great reason to stay away from there. I know I'll be straight onto the toilet.

I don't drink skim milk. Your body can't naturally digest the lactids in milk without fat to accompany it, that's why fat is in most milk. So unless I'm getting fat content from somewhere else in my diet that day, I'll drink 1% milk instead of skim. Otherwise you're throwing your digestive system into havoc trying to digest the proteins.

Don't eat margarine, it isn't butter. My fiance is a doctor and has told me horror stories of how she would cut open cadavers in medical school and there would be a pool of congealed margarine in there. The human body doesn't digest it so every bit you eat just takes permanent residence in your body. Don't eat that stuff, it's nasty. Butter also isn't good for you so I have just cut out both of them from my life completely. I do still enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches but we use Miracle Whip instead and I guarantee you will not be able to tell the difference if you tried it.

My fiance is also allergic to port (weird, I know) so we cannot have pork anywhere in the house. It's an incredibly fatty meat and is incredibly bad for you so this works out well for my health. 

Do you like nachos? Me too but sour cream is incredibly bad for you so I use greek yogurt instead. You might be thinking that's gross but have you tried it? I feed it to my friends when we cook nachos and nobody has noticed and I still haven't told them they're dipping their nachos in yogurt. It tastes exactly the same, looks the same and has the same texture but it's way better for you.

Stop drinking beer and soda. I  might have a beer after hockey but otherwise I'm not a big drinker anyway. I find if I drink a lot of beer I can actually feel myself getting fatter, it's like eating a loaf of white bread. 

You don't have to be a genius to figure out nutrition, you can actually talk to your doctor about it and request that a dietitian be present for your appointment. Ask them all the questions you want and they aren't just going to tell you to eat lettuce every day, they'll suggest alternatives to your main caloric abusers. Or you can simply download the My Fitness Pro application on your phone. Enter your weight and target weight, it'll keep track of your caloric intake for you. No matter what you eat, if you search for it,t he information will be in there. Everything on any menu at any restaurant in your city is in there, so you will never have to read the package nor ask the server again. Just enter your meal and it'll tell you how many calories you have left for the day, you'll probably quickly find yourself hitting the limit by lunch time so you'll know you need to swap some things out.

I just started watching the documentary Game Changers last night and it's all about how a plant based diet provides more protein and how bad any meat is for you. It's pretty interesting, I might start eating less meat if it's true.

EDIT: I also stopped eating ketchup. One because I don't like the taste of it but also because it's loaded with sugar. Why do you think people like it so much? The ketchup companies are going to put whatever the hell they can in it to make you buy it and if that's sugar, then in the sugar goes. They don't care. Seriously, check out how high the sugar content is in white bread and ketchup. I looked at the ingredients in peanut butter once, it was either Skippy or Kraft, and it contained icing sugar. I shit you not, they were putting icing sugar in the peanut butter so you would enjoy eating it, it was hard to believe.

Edited by Code Monkey
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

Elliptical at home several days a week. My left knee can't take running anymore. It is amazing how easy it is to tune out to Netflix while I am on it. 

I wouldn't suggest this for someone without knee problems. An elliptical is very bad for your body because it's not a natural motion and can have some pretty bad health effects. Running is much healthier for you if your knees can take it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I wouldn't suggest this for someone without knee problems. An elliptical is very bad for your body because it's not a natural motion and can have some pretty bad health effects. Running is much healthier for you if your knees can take it.

I am almost 40 and I can feel it. Don't you smack talk my free elliptical I got from my brother because his wife didn't use it. 😉 

24 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Monday morning - ice hockey before work

Wednesday night - ball hockey

Friday night - ice hockey

Saturday - snowboarding all day

Sunday - ball hockey

I'm almost 40 and I pretty much eat whatever the hell I want, I'll eat an entire pizza and then a few hands full of chocolate bars. I haven't been inside a gym in 16 years and according to Garmin my resting heart rate is 49 beats per minute.

I also make wise life choices though, I eat a healthy breakfast but I think the most important thing is that I eat breakfast at all. I know a lot of people that skip breakfast and that's not healthy for you, it actually slows down your metabolism. I'll have a fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast, 7 days a week, for the last 6 years. I bought a really expensive Vitamix blender to do the job and I throw in a banana (to thicken it up), a frozen yogurt, a few balls of spinach ($1 for a big bag), a hand full of frozen fruit ($5 for a bag) and a scoop of protein. The protein serves no other purpose but to keep me from being hungry, your pre-lunch hunger pains aren't from lack of food, it's from lack of protein specifically. If you have a high protein breakfast, you won't get hungry so early.

I don't eat any fast food but that's because I don't like the taste of it. It has been so long now since I have eaten it, that I'm actually at the point where it makes me sick if I do eat it. The last time I ate McDonald's I shit 6 times in one day. My body just can't handle that garbage any more and I like that because it gives me a great reason to stay away from there. I know I'll be straight onto the toilet.

I don't drink skim milk. Your body can't naturally digest the lactids in milk without fat to accompany it, that's why fat is in most milk. So unless I'm getting fat content from somewhere else in my diet that day, I'll drink 1% milk instead of skim. Otherwise you're throwing your digestive system into havoc trying to digest the proteins.

Don't eat margarine, it isn't butter. My fiance is a doctor and has told me horror stories of how she would cut open cadavers in medical school and there would be a pool of congealed margarine in there. The human body doesn't digest it so every bit you eat just takes permanent residence in your body. Don't eat that stuff, it's nasty. Butter also isn't good for you so I have just cut out both of them from my life completely. I do still enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches but we use Miracle Whip instead and I guarantee you will not be able to tell the difference if you tried it.

My fiance is also allergic to port (weird, I know) so we cannot have pork anywhere in the house. It's an incredibly fatty meat and is incredibly bad for you so this works out well for my health. 

Do you like nachos? Me too but sour cream is incredibly bad for you so I use greek yogurt instead. You might be thinking that's gross but have you tried it? I feed it to my friends when we cook nachos and nobody has noticed and I still haven't told them they're dipping their nachos in yogurt. It tastes exactly the same, looks the same and has the same texture but it's way better for you.

Stop drinking beer and soda. I  might have a beer after hockey but otherwise I'm not a big drinker anyway. I find if I drink a lot of beer I can actually feel myself getting fatter, it's like eating a loaf of white bread. 

You don't have to be a genius to figure out nutrition, you can actually talk to your doctor about it and request that a dietitian be present for your appointment. Ask them all the questions you want and they aren't just going to tell you to eat lettuce every day, they'll suggest alternatives to your main caloric abusers. Or you can simply download the My Fitness Pro application on your phone. Enter your weight and target weight, it'll keep track of your caloric intake for you. No matter what you eat, if you search for it,t he information will be in there. Everything on any menu at any restaurant in your city is in there, so you will never have to read the package nor ask the server again. Just enter your meal and it'll tell you how many calories you have left for the day, you'll probably quickly find yourself hitting the limit by lunch time so you'll know you need to swap some things out.

I just started watching the documentary Game Changers last night and it's all about how a plant based diet provides more protein and how bad any meat is for you. It's pretty interesting, I might start eating less meat if it's true.

EDIT: I also stopped eating ketchup. One because I don't like the taste of it but also because it's loaded with sugar. Why do you think people like it so much? The ketchup companies are going to put whatever the hell they can in it to make you buy it and if that's sugar, then in the sugar goes. They don't care. Seriously, check out how high the sugar content is in white bread and ketchup. I looked at the ingredients in peanut butter once, it was either Skippy or Kraft, and it contained icing sugar. I shit you not, they were putting icing sugar in the peanut butter so you would enjoy eating it, it was hard to believe.

I switched to unsweetened almond milk awhile ago. Great alternative. 

Editorials Team · Posted

...to finish my thoughts.  I try to do "push" and "pull" at least once a week too.  Hard to have the time with 3 little kids, but just an hour a week should be good enough to make gains.  Or at least I would be if I hadn't jacked my bicep up this summer... possibly as a repetitive stress injury from holding books and my Switch 😒