IGNORED

What do y'all do to stay in shape?

Splain

I’m so out of shape.  Before the kid I was lifting 4 - 5 times a week.  Now it’s more like every 4 or 5 weeks.  Was working on pull/push/legs split.  I liked being able to hit my pull/push 2x a week but I was kind of struggling to keep the workout length reasonable.  I’d started working towards lower weight w/ more reps (the heavy low reps was starting to really wear on my joints anyways) which helped with rest periods but that damn push day is still unwieldy.

Anyway, I’m currently struggling to get back on it.  The old lady keeps telling me I should just try doing 20 min sessions to get something in and I agree but I have a hard time doing that once I get started.

44 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I’m so out of shape.  Before the kid I was lifting 4 - 5 times a week.  Now it’s more like every 4 or 5 weeks.  Was working on pull/push/legs split.  I liked being able to hit my pull/push 2x a week but I was kind of struggling to keep the workout length reasonable.  I’d started working towards lower weight w/ more reps (the heavy low reps was starting to really wear on my joints anyways) which helped with rest periods but that damn push day is still unwieldy.

Anyway, I’m currently struggling to get back on it.  The old lady keeps telling me I should just try doing 20 min sessions to get something in and I agree but I have a hard time doing that once I get started.

I do push pull split myself, mon tues thurs fri with Wed as rest. When my kids were in the baby phase there would be lots of 2 or 3 day weeks instead of 4, but once they're sleeping I was able to get back in the groove. In and out in 45 mins but I keep the socializing in check. 

Its doable just gotta get back in the groove...

24 minutes ago, jonebone said:

I do push pull split myself, mon tues thurs fri with Wed as rest. When my kids were in the baby phase there would be lots of 2 or 3 day weeks instead of 4, but once they're sleeping I was able to get back in the groove. In and out in 45 mins but I keep the socializing in check. 

Its doable just gotta get back in the groove...

Yeah, getting back in the groove and getting over those initial DOMs has really been the toughest part for me.  

I do have a basement setup so socialization isn’t an issue but with limited equipment I lose a lot of time having to rearrange my setup for different exercises.  Bench to incline bench to overhead press to upright row for example is a total time sink.  I think if I get back in my best bet will be body part split.  I’m not above picking one movement and just hammering away at it for a whole workout.

Yoga, running, and pushups.  I'm not super consistent with all three all the time (not living up to my potential has always kinda been my thing), but those are the ones I go after.  Running is the most consistent, which I'm now realizing is surprising to me since it's the most time-consuming of the three (the way I do it).  But I did cross country and track in high school, so I guess there is more of a history, habit, and passion with running.

I drink as much beer and coffee as I want but eat very healthy, and it seems to be working for now (I'm 33).

Btw, just as a fun aside, my brother recently challenged me to do one pushup a day for a month.  Obviously, the pushup is not the hard part--it's the consistency.  Without being very careful about it, one just forgets to do the damn pushup.  Somewhere in the 3 week range, I forgot and missed a day.  It's an interesting feeling to mess up something so simple...almost revelatory about human nature.

I use to go to the gym, but after some school changes with my kids, I now never pass by or near a gym.  To keep moderately active, every time I get up from my home office desk, I do squats, lunges, pull-ups and push-ups.  When I need a mental break, I take a couple of laps around our cul-de-sac, which is a bigger one. It's not close to perfect, but it's better than staying at my desk all day and not doing anything.

If anyone is serious about simple life improvements that can go a long way:

1) Cut out all juices and soda.  Drink lots and lots of water.  I drink 1-2 gallons a day, but I have a desk job so bathroom breaks aren't a big deal.

2) Move around as much as possible.  Some people don't have time for "exercise" and that's fine. But every step matters.  Take the stairs, skip the elevator.  Walk your pet around the neighboorhood, or just walk yourself.  You don't have to run a mile or lift weights to get some simple light-hearted exercise.

3) Eat in moderation.  You don't need to change your diet to lose weight initally.  You can just portion control.  If you eat a full pizza everyday then just try dialing it back to 6 out of 8 slices.  Eat slower and taste the food.  

Losing initial weight is easy with simple lifestyle tweaks.  Total body alternations are definitely a way of life commitment though.  You don't need that level of detail to just be a bit healthier though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jonebone said:

If you eat a full pizza everyday then just try dialing it back to 6 out of 8 slices.  Eat slower and taste the food.  

😂 Baby steps guys! Cut back from 12 slices a day to 6 😂 

You're right tho. I literally skip a meal and haven't gained a lb for 3 years and I eat w.e I want to a degree. Just not as much of it or as often. It's simple calories in math. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
Stupid is as stupid does.

I can’t run. I have flat feet. I used to try to run to catch a bus or something like that, half the time they would give out on me and I would get hurt. And I hate working out for its own sake. I find that boring and time-consuming. 

But I stay active and move in other ways. That means riding my bike to get places, year-round. If I go somewhere and I can’t bike, I still walk if it’s a mile or less. That kind of distance is easy when you are used to it. And I always take the stairs. It’s funny, working on the 4th floor, I used to be alone while everyone else was in the elevators. People noticed and now there is a damn crowd with me and in the way every day. (Most people are slow)

As for diet. I avoid sugar where it’s not needed. Such as tomato sauce and peanut butter. Bread actually does need some sugar, or it won’t caramelize. Try cooking pizza dough or a loaf of bread with no sugar: the crust will be white. I do eat candy but I moderate it — only have small amounts. I like cheeseburgers a lot, so I’ll have one, not more than once a month. I still eat chips, but I take a handful and put the bag away. 

I used to eat refined pasta and eggs a lot. I replaced those with whole grains and egg whites. That change alone had me lose 30 pounds. 

13 hours ago, jonebone said:

If anyone is serious about simple life improvements that can go a long way:

1) Cut out all juices and soda.  Drink lots and lots of water.  I drink 1-2 gallons a day, but I have a desk job so bathroom breaks aren't a big deal

Wow, you and I are really spot on. As for #1, juice isn’t a big deal for me and I’ve never liked soda... but a gallon or two a day?? I tried drinking more water for a little bit (8 cups in an 8 hour shift) and I had to piss every half hour. Too much!

6 hours ago, Link said:

Wow, you and I are really spot on. As for #1, juice isn’t a big deal for me and I’ve never liked soda... but a gallon or two a day?? I tried drinking more water for a little bit (8 cups in an 8 hour shift) and I had to piss every half hour. Too much!

Probably closer to 1, just did the math.  I drink about 8 16.9 oz water bottles a day (continually refill it) which is 135.2 ounces and a gallon is 128.  It's really not that much once you're used to it, I've done it as long as I can remember at this point.

I don't have much time during the week, but I try to walk twice a day (10-15 minutes each time) as a break from work. Sometimes I am too swamped though.

My wife and I started to do a monthly calendar for walking during the evenings together, with slight motivating rewards during the week (total minutes) as well as monthly rewards (days that month). This helps motivates us and also it is nice to catch up and chat during our walks.

We try to keeps the carbs low as well.

I keep it simple. I do a kettlebell routine 3x a week. I'm pressed for time as it is, so I can get an entire routine done in about 35 minutes or so. I purposely do it in the mornings before my day really gets going. If you have some interest, I can point in the direction of setting up your own routine. No need for a heavy bell, I stick with a 35 pounder myself. Best part is you can pick an Amazon bell for rather cheap. 

As far as diet is concerned, I tend to eat very clean. I don't do added hormones/antibiotics. I eat a lot of whole vegetables and the like. No need to overthink a diet. If you cut out the sugar and the refined/processed garbage, you'll see a difference, immediately. 

Edited by BazookaJoe