IGNORED

Sexy tweet to GoCollect

17 minutes ago, empire said:

Cant say I don't agree with you Phins. 

I just don't think its worth harboring so much anger towards, this site is awesome and that's what matters. It is pretty hilarious those messages have been up all day and no one from the site has intervened.

Considering basically everyone has jumped over here I haven't given it a second thought since they put up that mid 90s looking message board up in its place. I'd rather just enjoy it here than waste any effort on something that's completely gone.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, empire said:

Cant say I don't agree with you Phins. 

I just don't think its worth harboring so much anger towards, this site is awesome and that's what matters. It is pretty hilarious those messages have been up all day and no one from the site has intervened.

https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Why_Back_Up%3F

I think it's worth harboring so much anger towards and you and me can agree to disagree, I respect your opinion but it's my view of reality that we can't allow these things to keep happening

Future digital historians are going to look down upon us with shame for not fighting harder for our collective history and I refuse to be one of the people looked down upon by them, not while I can help it

It's not just blind rage, I have good philosophical thought-through reasoning for why I feel this way and why I pick up the sword to fight for preservation whenever I can, because I feel like it's my social responsibility

2 minutes ago, spacepup said:

There are different ways of fighting Phins. 

The staff and others over at NA, tried very hard to prevent this from happening and trust me, we tried everything.  After realizing it wasn't going to happen, rather than just sitting around and taking it, we put a lot of time and energy into creating VGS, giving people a place to go and continue the community, maintaining some continuity.  We could have just gone to GC and complained, hopelessly harassing them for change, but it would literally accomplish nothing.  Instead, we put that effort into VGS. 

It's ok to be disappointed, and even frustrated and angry, but harboring anger like empire said, or going around saying hateful and disgusting things, is not going to accomplish much.  As I said before, I just encourage people to continue hanging out with friends here and making new ones, and let's make VGS the best it can be.

Nothing I said was hateful and/or disgusting it's entirely reasonable

I don't expect you all to join me but being this angry about preservation is very on-brand for me and it's my cause celebre so to speak so I'm understandably livid

To be clear, I don't agree with harboring bitterness, but when you learn that a community you loved is gone, I don't mind people venting a little/for a time.  I have, mostly, moved on but I get that others won't feel that way so fast.  And as was the case for OP, some people came and went to NA, or they didn't frequent as much as they use to, so they are just now learning that it's gone.  We, the core community, could have moved on already, but those individuals are now months behind.

Trying to say anybody at GoCollect is a good person is like trying to say somebody who sets fire to a library is a good person

We can't just let profit motives condition us into thinking this kind of shit is normal or acceptable because it isn't, it's sociopathic behavior

Just now, Phins said:

I think it's worth harboring so much anger towards and you and me can agree to disagree, I respect your opinion but it's my view of reality that we can't allow these things to keep happening

I'm not sure what you're wanting us to do. We can't exactly force them to reinstate the forum.

Most we can do is go into the archives there and harvest whatever we can that might be relevant. Beyond that...

Just now, Tulpa said:

I'm not sure what you're wanting us to do. We can't exactly force them to reinstate the forum.

Most we can do is go into the archives there and harvest whatever we can that might be relevant. Beyond that...

Dissent for the sake of voicing dissent

I'm not wanting you to do anything I'm just acting in accordance with my values

Maybe if they have any shred of empathy my message will make them realize that their actions have hurt real people and taken away their collective history

Probably not though

I'll be back later to reply to messages I gotta go

9 minutes ago, spacepup said:

There are different ways of fighting Phins. 

As I said before, I just encourage people to continue hanging out with friends here and making new ones, and let's make VGS the best it can be.

This is the best attitude. There's plenty of energy to make everything even better here than it was before. 

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

One day, when we actually place proper value on our history, people are going to look at people who destroyed over a decade's worth of history and discussion the same way we do people who destroy statues in the middle east

This is an extremely critical period for digital preservation

Just now, Phins said:

Just wait for me to cycle through the stages of grief and I'll be with you

Hey, I was there for 8 years so I get it. Luckily its been so great over here that it has helped me get over it a lot easier. I think we proved the community made the site, not the other way around, but I do understand people being upset at the loss of the databases, tools, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Though I hear what you are trying to say/encourage, I still feel jilted and I only joined the community in 2016.  It's not so easy to get over what they did to that place, when you hung out there for over 10 years.  I mean, I get it.  It sucks, but what can we do, so move on.  Good advice but a forum is also like any other place you go to, to hang out with your friends.  If someone bought such a place, and in a year said "our last day is next month" and then proceeded to demo the whole place down, it'd be tough to get over in a matter of months.  Sames true with NA.

May it rest in peace, and I'm trying to move on.  Still, it's a raw topic and I think OP is mourning how he personally mourns. Looks to me like he's in the anger stage.

Most of the same people are here so I'm not that upset about it. Especially since this board is way more active than NA was near the end.

The Go Collect site is depressing to look at though. They completely fucked it up.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
35 minutes ago, Phins said:

If he's the head of PR he should be fired because he's terrible at his job

I hope the messenger decides to carry the scroll back to his bosses

Yeah I mean it's always entirely possible that the niceness I experienced was a front. I can't say one way or the other; I've been dicked around in the past and had people I had spent years cultivating friendships with straight up steal from me and then ghost me entirely - that's actually what ruined collecting games for me the first time around, someone I considered a friend stole basically my whole collection right when he was in the middle of moving away. I was a kid so my options for getting my games back were pretty minimal, especially considering my parents' attitudes towards gaming and me being happy in general, but I digress. 

• Sad 2

Administrator · Posted

One thing I'll say @Phins, is that you're clearly passionate about this, and I respect that completely; I would love if in time you can come to bring that same passion to helping us make VGS better. For the time being though I understand if you want a place to vent, and hey man we can be that too when you need it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Yeah I mean it's always entirely possible that the niceness I experienced was a front. I can't say one way or the other; I've been dicked around in the past and had people I had spent years cultivating friendships with straight up steal from me and then ghost me entirely - that's actually what ruined collecting games for me the first time around, someone I considered a friend stole basically my whole collection right when he was in the middle of moving away. I was a kid so my options for getting my games back were pretty minimal, especially considering my parents' attitudes towards gaming and me being happy in general, but I digress. 

Wow, that sucks man. Stealing games was/is a big deal. I only had one game stolen from me when I was a kid, and I never figured out who was responsible (the game was Ninja Gaiden).

16 minutes ago, Phins said:

Dissent for the sake of voicing dissent

I'm not wanting you to do anything I'm just acting in accordance with my values

Okay, I just saw you say " we can't allow these things to keep happening", and not sure what we could do in this case. GoCollect bought NA, and there wasn't much we could do except try to rebuild the community here and save whatever knowledge we could.

GoCollect's main income is in their auctions and comic book rarity database, so there's little we can do to hit them in the pocketbook.

Edited by Tulpa

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

I must be the only one but I could not CARE LESS about what happens.  I think its funny but I can't get wrapped up in this nonsense.  Im glad this is here and thats that.

Same here. The important thing is the community, which is now here. And all of those nice things we had on NA can be rebuilt here, slowly but surely.

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

...someone I considered a friend stole basically my whole collection right when he was in the middle of moving away. I was a kid so my options for getting my games back were pretty minimal, especially considering my parents' attitudes towards gaming and me being happy in general, but I digress. 

Wow, that is messed up.  I am glad that it didn't sour you forever.  Sorry about loosing your collection in the past. 

1 hour ago, Phins said:

One day, when we actually place proper value on our history, people are going to look at people who destroyed over a decade's worth of history and discussion the same way we do people who destroy statues in the middle east

This is an extremely critical period for digital preservation

I assure you there are few people who were more sour than I was with how things went down, so you won't see me defending how any of it was handled. To be fair though, they did do the bare minimum and archive all of the posts. You can go in there and dig up whatever history you want if you want to spend the time.

I came in at like the very end of NA and didn’t have much invested in it but I am empathetic to the people who were there at the beginning and invested a lot of time and energy into it and being sold out by the previous owner. Everyone who made it what it was deserved a cut of the profit or at least some kind of recognition. I can see where Phin and a lot of others who are angry are coming from. GoCollect deserves the bad press they are getting here and I think Dain also deserves some resentment, he could have very well sold his collection for a ton of money to GoCollect and given NA to the longtime members to do what they wish instead of passing it onto people who just don’t care and are profiteers. 

But that is the history we can’t change all we can do is make VGS better (already is, the forums at least). Pour out a 40 for NA and as Phin said get through the grieving process. 

Respect to the longtime members of NA who gave up their time to help others learn, I have certainly appreciated it.