IGNORED

Sexy tweet to GoCollect

2 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Okay, I just saw you say " we can't allow these things to keep happening", and not sure what we could do in this case. GoCollect bought NA, and there wasn't much we could do except try to rebuild the community here and save whatever knowledge we could.

GoCollect's main income is in their auctions and comic book rarity database, so there's little we can do to hit them in the pocketbook.

An attack on their conscience is all you can do, show them that they're taking away things from people that meant something meaningful to them

Also if user Quaze from "gocollect" is reading this nice job using autism as a slur, autistics are the indigenous people of the internet and I will not tolerate your wanton disrespect for them

and they're talking as if nobody recognizes me, I know for sure at least some of the people in this topic not only recognize me but have done business with me before

Grimalkin Games for life bitches (she's dead now btw)

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

One thing I'll say @Phins, is that you're clearly passionate about this, and I respect that completely; I would love if in time you can come to bring that same passion to helping us make VGS better. For the time being though I understand if you want a place to vent, and hey man we can be that too when you need it.

I'm on the same page as you

I would love to help, somebody has to put in good in the world and create when people like this are putting in bad and destroying

I literally put dozens of hours into manicuring my collection tracker and adding new games to the database for stuff like my homebrew/repro set, I'm nothing if not dedicated, I just get fired up probably because a lot of you are in your 30s and I'm likely a good ten years younger than some, I say NA was my childhood home because I was literally spending hours on NA when I was an actual child, you were likely all adults when you started so there's a difference of circumstance, it just ain't right

@Phins I still go back to the disaster that’s is NA/GoCollect once a day to read new posts. I have logged out and won’t sign in. I read your post and got a good laugh out of it for sure. I understand your anger 100%. Ask anyone around here that knows me, I’m an angry fucking guy. The NA community helped me through some really tough times in life and I’ve made some really great friends there. I was bitter about the whole buyout from the very beginning. Hell, I started a “death of NA” thread that eventually got locked. I felt like nobody gave two shits about what was happening. In the end, I was welcomed back to NA for the very end and the people that started this new forum welcomed me here, as well as the Discord. They didn’t have to do any of that. I was a dick and still am, just slightly less now. Anyways man, be angry, post what you feel. My only problem is that because I’d that negativity over at the old forum has dissuaded a few people I’ve befriended and done great deals with, won’t come over here because of how hostile some of us were “on the way out”.  I do think your post over there was pretty good though. Get through it how you feel suited and enjoy your time here. It’s not quiet the same, but it is fun. 
Also, screw you @SuperJimtendo I will never get over NA. Take that garbage somewhere else and good luck at your convention tomorrow😂 Maybe instead of telling us to get over losing our internet home you could make a thread with the cool shit you draw and sell at said conventions. 

Edited by Richardhead
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

@Phins I still go back to the disaster that’s is NA/GoCollect once a day to read new posts. I have logged out and won’t sign in. I read your post and got a good laugh out of it for sure. I understand your anger 100%. Ask anyone around here that knows me, I’m an angry fucking guy. The NA community helped me through some really tough times in life and I’ve made some really great friends there. I was bitter about the whole buyout from the very beginning. Hell, I started a “death of NA” thread that eventually got locked. I felt like nobody gave two shits about what was happening. In the end, I was welcomed back to NA for the very end and the people that started this new forum welcomed me here, as well as the Discord. They didn’t have to do any of that. I was a dick and still am, just slightly less now. Anyways man, be angry, post what you feel. My only problem is that because I’d that negativity over at the old forum has dissuaded a few people I’ve befriended and done great deals with, won’t come over here because of how hostile some of us were “on the way out”.  I do think your post over there was pretty good though. Get through it how you feel suited and enjoy your time here. It’s not quiet the same, but it is fun. 
Also, screw you @SuperJimtendo I will never get over NA. Take that garbage somewhere else and good luck at your convention tomorrow😂 Maybe instead of telling us to get over losing our internet home you could make a thread with the cool shit you draw and sell at said conventions. 

I think it was them who decided to go scorched earth asleep at the wheel with NA, and anybody being hostile on the way out is just responding in kind to how they were treated IMO

Thank you for the kind words, NA had deep sentimental and historical value to me as it does to all of you

• Like 2

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-collectors-quest/id1061527120?i=1000363395835

This is an interesting listen. I listened to this after Dain sold. It was a bit eye opening some of the things he said. This actually helped me get over the shut down. Him basically saying he built NA for him and only him, if anybody didn’t like it then too bad. 

I feel as if this whole debacle is just indicative of a growing trend, which is to say, the consolidation and gentrification of the internet, the "use your real name"ification of the internet i.e. the destruction of pseudonymity, and forcing flight to those who wish to keep carrying on the kinds of community structures that we had last decade, before social media and the corporate profit motives started stamping it all out

It's hard not to feel mad when you see pictures like this, look below for a visualization

The internet used to be a fun vacation destination full of hundreds of thousands to millions of unique, distinct websites to visit that people poured their heart and soul into it solely to benefit like-minded hobbyists, like NA, like DigitPress, like NESworld, and so on

Now it's just a consolidation of a couple too-big-to-fail megasites like Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter, an extension of real life destroying people's face-to-face communications, that force everybody else into their draconian, division-manufacturing sterilized walled garden ecosystems, at the cost of the collaborative, doing it for the love of the game attitude the 2000s internet was oriented around

It all makes me deeply upset

Websites like this contain the natives of the internet, the people it truly belongs to, and people like Mark Zuckerberg, people like the staff of GoCollect, are barging into our communities and driving us from our homes, destroying our sacred idols, buying us out of our own homes just so they can turn them into Airbnbs, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not angry about it every day, that internet raised me, it's meaningful to me

internetgentrification.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Phins said:

I think it was them who decided to go scorched earth asleep at the wheel with NA, and anybody being hostile on the way out is just responding in kind to how they were treated IMO

Thank you for the kind words, NA had deep sentimental and historical value to me as it does to all of you

GoCollect owes us nothing.  Would I have liked they do things differently, or not gotten into games at all?  Absolutely. They bought the site to data mine though, and they squeezed out what they could, that's life.   They weren't the one's who had an actual place in the community and completely abandoned it, decided to sell to a group only concerned with the bottom line.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Phins said:

I feel as if this whole debacle is just indicative of a growing trend, which is to say, the consolidation and gentrification of the internet, the "use your real name"ification of the internet i.e. the destruction of pseudonymity, and forcing flight to those who wish to keep carrying on the kinds of community structures that we had last decade, before social media and the corporate profit motives started stamping it all out

It's hard not to feel mad when you see pictures like this, look below for a visualization

The internet used to be a fun vacation destination full of hundreds of thousands to millions of unique, distinct websites to visit that people poured their heart and soul into it solely to benefit like-minded hobbyists, like NA, like DigitPress, like NESworld, and so on

Now it's just a consolidation of a couple too-big-to-fail megasites like Reddit, Facebook, and Twitter, an extension of real life destroying people's face-to-face communications, that force everybody else into their draconian, division-manufacturing sterilized walled garden ecosystems, at the cost of the collaborative, doing it for the love of the game attitude the 2000s internet was oriented around

It all makes me deeply upset

Websites like this contain the natives of the internet, the people it truly belongs to, and people like Mark Zuckerberg, people like the staff of GoCollect, are barging into our communities and driving us from our homes, destroying our sacred idols, buying us out of our own homes just so they can turn them into Airbnbs, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not angry about it every day, that internet raised me, it's meaningful to me

internetgentrification.jpg

Not gonna lie, I’ve gone to posting more on Instagram than here😬

2 minutes ago, B.A. said:

GoCollect owes us nothing.  Would I have liked they do things differently, or not gotten into games at all?  Absolutely. They bought the site to data mine though, and they squeezed out what they could, that's life.   They weren't the one's who had an actual place in the community and completely abandoned it, decided to sell to a group only concerned with the bottom line.  

And the person that sold it is a consultant for Wata. Weird how it all played out. Something about selling your collection to focus on sealed collecting, while consulting for a company that grades your sealed games, seems kind of shady. I saw on IG that NA is on a sweet vacation somewhere tropical too😂 

1 hour ago, Phins said:

An attack on their conscience is all you can do, show them that they're taking away things from people that meant something meaningful to them

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but good luck with that.

Not that they do or don't have a conscience, but that in their mind, they're doing what they set out to do, mine NA for data for use in collecting and trading video games as a commodity. To them, it's pure business. Dain was the one who sold it to them. From their perspective, they have nothing to feel guilty about.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Not gonna lie, I’ve gone to posting more on Instagram than here😬

Fuck Instagram! Fuck anything owned by Zuckerberg or any of the other corporate parasites, they're literally not figuratively robbing us of our cultural history, and it's made me struggle severely with depression

Not an indictment of you but an indictment of them, of course

I take it all very seriously, this all means a lot to me

10 minutes ago, B.A. said:

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but good luck with that.

Not that they do or don't have a conscience, but that in their mind, they're doing what they set out to do, mine NA for data for use in collecting and trading video games as a commodity. To them, it's pure business. Dain was the one who sold it to them.

I miss when money was far from people's minds when it came to the internet, it's hard to remember but it was that way once

Not to be mean BA, I respect you, I recognize you from NA, but it feels like you're saying "they bought the forest to turn it into a Walmart parking lot, that's life"

What even is the point of all that data? What exactly does it help them accomplish? I didn't consent to having my data sold, maybe I did through the TOS but on an ethical basis, I did not consent

I am tired of being spied upon, by everybody, I'm tired of people watching me, I'm tired of people trying to collate data on me so then can psychoanalyze me, it's tantamount to being physically violated, it's an attack on our sovereignty, on our bodies, on our minds, on our hearts

These companies are brainless packrat rodents collecting shiny objects to bring back to their nest, they don't deserve the internet

The internet has become a soulless, all-consuming machine existing primarily just to pad people's bank accounts and egos and it wasn't meant to be this way, we are trapped in the belly of this horrible machine and the machine is bleeding to death

The internet of the 2020s is just going to be nothing but stripminers taking away things from us that are important and I for one dread it with every passing day

Ultimately we can conclude the internet was a mistake and it wants more and more to drive people like me and you out with every passing day

They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

I need to make some IRL friends lol

2 minutes ago, Phins said:

I miss when money was far from people's minds when it came to the internet, it's hard to remember but it was that way once

Not to be mean BA, I respect you, I recognize you from NA, but it feels like you're saying "they bought the forest to turn it into a Walmart parking lot, that's life"

What even is the point of all that data? What exactly does it help them accomplish? I didn't consent to having my data sold, maybe I did through the TOS but on an ethical basis, I did not consent

I am tired of being spied upon, by everybody, I'm tired of people watching me, I'm tired of people trying to collate data on me so then can psychoanalyze me, it's tantamount to being physically violated, it's an attack on our sovereignty, on our bodies, on our minds, on our hearts

You missed the point of my post, and it's that your anger is misplaced. 

They are a comic collecting price guide site that wants to get into video games.  What they have to gain is all of the data about variants, rarity, the database. Any of that type if stuff that would help a company that is aspiring to create a price guide and collecting tool. 

They don't give a shit about the forum, never did and never will.  In their mind they bought a wealth of data and to their dismay it came with a community.  

I mean sure, you can get mad that a company bought the site and didn't do with it what you liked, I get it.  I think they suck too.  I'm not surprised though, and again they weren't the ones with ties to the community.   

2 minutes ago, B.A. said:

You missed the point of my post, and it's that your anger is misplaced. 

They are a comic collecting price guide site that wants to get into video games.  What they have to gain is all of the data about variants, rarity, the database. Any of that type if stuff that would help a company that is aspiring to create a price guide and collecting tool. 

They don't give a shit about the forum, never did and never will.  In their mind they bought a wealth of data and to their dismay it came with a community.  

I mean sure, you can get mad that a company bought the site and didn't do with it what you liked, I get it.  I think they suck too.  I'm not surprised though, and again they weren't the ones with ties to the community.   

I'm just struggling with depression that I have to keep watching this happen everywhere over and over again, to places I cherished

It never gets easier having people pull the rug out from under you, at least not for me

Eventually none of the places I value will be left and everything will be gone

13 minutes ago, Phins said:

I'm just struggling with depression that I have to keep watching this happen everywhere over and over again, to places I cherished

It never gets easier having people pull the rug out from under you, at least not for me

It was a sad and inglorious end to be sure. 

Imagine how bad it would've felt if you were an active member and tried your damnedest to do something when something actually had a slim chance of being done?

Yeah, sucks but I'm beyond over it.  NA was the people, the people are here and we have a staff and owner that gives a shit.  The rest is just screaming to scream, it's been done to death already.

I'm far more for looking forward and enjoying that there's still a community.  I don't care who trolls over at NA/GC, but don't expect any cool kid points for doing it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

Hey he said he was asking for a friend, be nice now 😉

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, the tall guy said:

Imagine how bad it would've felt if you were an active member and tried your damnedest to do something when something actually had a slim chance of being done?

Yeah, sucks but I'm beyond over it.  NA was the people, the people are here and we have a staff and owner that gives a shit.  The rest is just screaming to scream, it's been done to death already.

I'm far more for looking forward and enjoying that there's still a community.  I don't care who trolls over at NA/GC, but don't expect any cool kid points for doing it.

maybe you did it to death already but I'll take a turn too, s'only fair

And to be fair I did most of my ranting without knowing how much of a community had been able to transfer over here, I had just assumed NA's community vanished into the ether when I got there and my blood pressure started raising, it was only after more reading and went back hours later did I see what was going on

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phins said:

maybe you did it to death already but I'll take a turn too, s'only fair

And to be fair I did most of my ranting without knowing how much of a community had been able to transfer over here, I had just assumed NA's community vanished into the ether when I got there and my blood pressure started raising, it was only after more reading and went back hours later did I see what was going on

Welcome! Best I can tell, this is a user owned forum. You'll be much happier here given time then you ever were at NA. 

• Like 1

So Phins, I know your name and avatar (the yelling one) from another site (Atari Age, Racketboy, DigitalPress?)  Where else to you post from?  You're clearly miffed as this isn't the usual tone.

I know I've been in and out of NA with a history I think that went back to around 2008-10 somewhere in there, so yeah even being unable to login for a few years I still was shocked and offended what went down like a steel trap all of a sudden.  I had expected change and all that, but not a steamrolling before the ink was dry situation.  I had to deal with that crap in real life 15 years back or so which killed the grand collection I had before that period due to unemployment, so I have no mercy or forgiveness for wet bags of crap who pull stunts like GoCollect's clown show did at all.

All said and done I think it's mostly a good thing.  It flushed sadly some good records into the trash with the database it appears, but it also swept out a lot of dead accounts, banned accounts, lost logins, some trashy sorts that would end up being toxic anyway, and just the general style and tone of this place is definitely not NA, at least not one that hadn't existed in many years.  VGS (the new NA) is better for it and most of the good community aspects (people) and all did make the transition.  Shoot look I'm back, go figure. 😛

Like Gloves said, the people there could have been fronting entirely, and while it can seem like paranoia to perhaps try and assume that in all cases, given what happened in the time frame and what was slammed down so fast it almost too well conveniently fits.  You buy in with lots of promises of preservation, continuation, community and all that and get the potential seller and its team to cave and go for it which is where NA went.  At that point you need to move into that next stage of dangling a carrot with more false smiles to the community affected and doing other stuff as it's now YOUR business in the background, and when the time is right, the smiles stop and the switch gets flipped -- and it did.  Odds are this was all pre-planned as a way to take what they wanted, all well knowing they'd infuriate most existing people away, because what you wanted was the archives, the data, stuff they could use to do more peddling without doing the work themselves.  It was an investment, and this is the result of a slash and burn move.

I don't think Phins is on the mark with one point at all, attack on conscience.  You'd have to have one to attack it, and what happened here was the minimum to get the deal to buy the site and collection off Dain, and that wasn't conscience, that was skating a line for a business deal to be made.  We don't have the contract, we have no idea what all was negotiated in the sale.  Maybe the NA slap job that sits in purgatory will be there another 10 years, but maybe it will only be there another 6-12mo if some line in the deal left that open to interpretation.  But to attack them on assuming a conscience is pointless, this was all about the money, not feelings and community.

Perhaps if anything the rage would be fairly well equally if not more directed at Dain.  He made the choice, he knew what they were up to, and he wanted out and took the deal knowing full well what would occur in time.  Maybe I'm missing that directed rage, but all I see is deserved fury at gocollect and it takes 2 to tango.

13 hours ago, Phins said:

Life is inherently a struggle that will end in tragedy/death. We will all lose absolutely everything. But you are here now, hopefully with the intent of rebuilding/reconnecting with the community. That in and of itself is a good thing and a road forward. 

Image result for lion king the past can hurt gif

If, however, you cannot eventually come to terms with what has happened...

Image result for palpatine focus meme gif

"It gives you focus, makes you stronger." 😈

@Tanooki

People volunteered a lot of time to fill the databases and build content for Dain to sell to Gocollect. People can hate GoCollect, but in my opinion, the real dick move was Dain shamelessly profiting from volunteer labor.

Disclaimer, i joined NA in late 2016, Dain was inactive by then.

• Like 4

Was a member of NA since 2008, rarely posted, just lurked. I don't she'd a tear, all empires fall. People lost a truck load of Web 1.0 history when Geocities was needlessly obliterated. It's the natural cycle of things, and the world moves forward, with a wiser nostalgic eye.

I do think Dain gets a more generous pass than is justified from my casual perception of the events here. As K said above, Dain helped foster a community that benefitted him and his brand for years, which was in turn sold out without any guarentees of it's future. What a waste.

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 1