IGNORED

Sexy tweet to GoCollect

20 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I must be the only one but I could not CARE LESS about what happens.  I think its funny but I can't get wrapped up in this nonsense.  Im glad this is here and thats that.

x2

I'm putting my time and energy into this place, I don't give two shits about the pile of rubble NA has become.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

x2

I'm putting my time and energy into this place, I don't give two shits about the pile of rubble NA has become.

This is what we should be doing. NA is dead, and while I loath everyone involved in it's death, that death also gave the community the kick in the ass it needed to build what is unquestionably a better website.

Edited by Jono1874
  • Like 4

So my thing has always been drunk posting so now seems like a good time.  Pardon me if I’m out of order.

I hate what those douchebags did to NA and what they hope to get out of the hobby in general.  for 99% of us their actions are mostly irrelevant.  Want to jack up the price on a sealed Golf?  Go right the fuck ahead.  It doesn’t affect me.  There’s been a lot of talk about these “shady” actors this year and certain folks with vested interests in seeing those prices rise defend them as absurd as their arguments may seem.  Who can blame them?  It still doesn’t affect 99% of us.  

Back on point, yes GoCollect demolished the NA website and they clearly have no intention of fixing it.  Fuck them. I feel for the people that put a bunch of time into certain threads but you don’t have back ups if your work?  That seems kind of like your own fault then.

With a few notable exceptions everyone is here.  The fine folks running this site have created a beautiful new home for us with all of the modern touches.  GoCollect didn’t actually kill anything.  

Lastly, Mr Phins, while I appreciate your anger and your community college level political rantings, you are definitely not coming off as anything but a jackass here. 

Edited by Hammerfestus

8 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

@Tanooki

People volunteered a lot of time to fill the databases and build content for Dain to sell to Gocollect. People can hate GoCollect, but in my opinion, the real dick move was Dain shamelessly profiting from volunteer labor.

That's why I made that closing comment about Dain, he's getting a pass here, but he's really and ultimately the one to blame.  He had enough and sold out, sold out the collection, sold out the site and its content too.  We may not know what all those terms of the sale were, but he couldn't have been blind to the fact what their long term goals were to get that sale over the finish line.  He didn't care about it or the games anymore, just leaving behind and a good stack of green to make it worth the time.  Dain grew a space and a group that went larger, wider, more involved, into reality offline and then some...got bored, bailed, sold, gave us an owner using ninja smoke bombs, and then the site went tits up.

But, that said, did they really truly break or ruin something? NO.  That wanker if anything hit a good hard well needed reset button.  VGS is what NA had been in the past, some years past, the better elements, the better attitudes, the people, community of it all is pissed, rightfully so, and also more open to a refresh and restart, and we're seeing the benefit of that in the hourly daily content vs what got imploded upon fairly recently.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

That's why I made that closing comment about Dain, he's getting a pass here, but he's really and ultimately the one to blame.  He had enough and sold out, sold out the collection, sold out the site and its content too.  We may not know what all those terms of the sale were, but he couldn't have been blind to the fact what their long term goals were to get that sale over the finish line.  He didn't care about it or the games anymore, just leaving behind and a good stack of green to make it worth the time.  Dain grew a space and a group that went larger, wider, more involved, into reality offline and then some...got bored, bailed, sold, gave us an owner using ninja smoke bombs, and then the site went tits up.

But, that said, did they really truly break or ruin something? NO.  That wanker if anything hit a good hard well needed reset button.  VGS is what NA had been in the past, some years past, the better elements, the better attitudes, the people, community of it all is pissed, rightfully so, and also more open to a refresh and restart, and we're seeing the benefit of that in the hourly daily content vs what got imploded upon fairly recently.

Yeah, I was not as active in NA for years than I am here now. I think that even with the loss of the brand (and the uncertain future of the old posts, maybe next year they'll be gone), if the flame is alive here, and has been rekindled, this was not so bad after all.

The silver lining is this place is definitely more active than NA was in the last year or two of its life. It's crazy how fast NA fell apart though and then the changes GC made were just a slap in the face - it'd be a challenge to make a website that poorly this day in age. I was on NA for about 9 years but was never emotionally attached to the site but I can definitely understand the resentment towards Dain and the whole transaction - kinda like a captain selling a good ship for scrap without notifying the crew.

Edited by Andy_Bogomil
  • Like 1

butthead you got it entirely that's what I was going with there.  Dain is the primary blame here, not gocollect though they deserve as much to get blasted but why the old owner gets a free pass mostly is shocking.  All I see is crapping rightly so on GC, but, what about him?  He's not blind, and as you said, he may have financially owned it to do as he wished, but given how the staff and members were handled from start to end of the process to the slap down of all of NA, there's a moral barrier that got crushed too out of sheer lack of consideration.

But yes, as it is, this place is far more active.  No reason to lie here, I still used NA when I didn't have my account login on this name, I could read, it's not hard and it was like a night and day change from the few years earlier when I did have access very very much so.  I think on the back end of all this, it's a stark improvement that now needs to be properly not just maintained, but respected and grown.

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

butthead you got it entirely that's what I was going with there.  Dain is the primary blame here, not gocollect though they deserve as much to get blasted but why the old owner gets a free pass mostly is shocking.  All I see is crapping rightly so on GC, but, what about him?  He's not blind, and as you said, he may have financially owned it to do as he wished, but given how the staff and members were handled from start to end of the process to the slap down of all of NA, there's a moral barrier that got crushed too out of sheer lack of consideration.

But yes, as it is, this place is far more active.  No reason to lie here, I still used NA when I didn't have my account login on this name, I could read, it's not hard and it was like a night and day change from the few years earlier when I did have access very very much so.  I think on the back end of all this, it's a stark improvement that now needs to be properly not just maintained, but respected and grown.

Yeah Tanooki I actually voiced that same feeling heavily during and after the NA/VGS transition - I still to this day blame Dain.  When he discretely handed the keys over to GC, he literally swung sledgehammers into the foundation of NA.  Not a fan of GC and WATA and all the correlations, but business is business, people have to cross that bridge and Dain did.

His absolute 100% lack of ownership of the whole thing is just awful.  He didn't post any site announcements or formal threads, we found out extremely nonchalantly from the new owner which was one of the most bizarre threads ever.  I think Dain popped in and said - hey guys yep this is the future, peace.  Apparently he didn't even formally reach out to his admins and moderators, nor even thank them for everything.

If he wanted to be done with NA, he could have easily worked with his community to sell the place - there were folks willing to take the reigns.

I have never seen a site dismantled like that in a matter of months, looking at "NA" now is straight comical.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Boosted52405 said:

Yeah Tanooki I actually voiced that same feeling heavily during and after the NA/VGS transition - I still to this day blame Dain.  When he discretely handed the keys over to GC, he literally swung sledgehammers into the foundation of NA.  Not a fan of GC and WATA and all the correlations, but business is business, people have to cross that bridge and Dain did.

His absolute 100% lack of ownership of the whole thing is just awful.  He didn't post any site announcements or formal threads, we found out extremely nonchalantly from the new owner which was one of the most bizarre threads ever.  I think Dain popped in and said - hey guys yep this is the future, peace.  Apparently he didn't even formally reach out to his admins and moderators, nor even thank them for everything.

If he wanted to be done with NA, he could have easily worked with his community to sell the place - there were folks willing to take the reigns.

I have never seen a site dismantled like that in a matter of months, looking at "NA" now is straight comical.

I listened to the first half of that podcast link earlier in the thread where he says he basically created everything on there for him and if other people love it or hate it, whatever. Did the people contributing to the databases, donating and/or moderating the site know they were just using his personal toy? I doubt that was made clear to anybody, because if it was, I sure didn't get the memo. 

• Like 1

I never got the memo when I wrote posts and offered up some how to or some contributing item scratch here and there or I wouldn’t have.  I had a foul taste before now it’s sucking sewer gas with an attitude like that. He clearly misled a lot of people taking advantage and then cowardly so sold out with a whisper to the digital level of weeks to live instant terminal cancer.  I’d never seen one implode that fast either and I’ve been in the game racket from emulation, vintage, modern, industry and media since the mid 90s online and that says something for this smash n grab. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did the people contributing to the databases, donating and/or moderating the site know they were just using his personal toy?

The na tos were pretty on the money. Although unfortunate, it isn't exactly suprising.

Edited by chromableedstudios

30 minutes ago, Sign Collector Guy said:

Wish I knew something about comic collecting. GC is hiring "Speculation Writers" 🙂 

Spec Log.JPG

I’m totally in when they start hiring video game speculation writers. Let me start hyping up the games I have to sell at a profit.

F_ck yes the Gran Turismo 4 market is heating up for PS2 get your CIB copies quick before they all are in the hands of investors!

5 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I’m totally in when they start hiring video game speculation writers. Let me start hyping up the games I have to sell at a profit.

F_ck yes the Gran Turismo 4 market is heating up for PS2 get your CIB copies quick before they all are in the hands of investors!

"It's believed that if go to the title screen and enter Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right,  X, O, Select, Start, a purple ganon will appear on the title screen, and will jump in the car before each time you start a race. This new found easter egg is causing this game to fly off the shelves!"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RH said:

"It's believed that if go to the title screen and enter Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right,  X, O, Select, Start, a purple ganon will appear on the title screen, and will jump in the car before each time you start a race. This new found easter egg is causing this game to fly off the shelves!"

Omg I’m doing a weekly segment of the copies of Zelda discovered in the wild that contain purple Gannon and will be worth more than a NWC gold!

edit: and all of them happen to be owned by VGS members who have all recently retired and bought yachts in unrelated news 

Edited by a3quit4s

• 3 years later...
On 12/6/2019 at 6:08 PM, Tulpa said:

I doubt they care anymore. It's been over a month and the only thing they did was change the default font color from gray to black. Even dra600n bailed when he saw there wasn't going to be any change.

GoCollect got what they needed out of NA. They don't have any incentive to keep a forum alive.

dra600n bailed when NA got bought out after like 2 weeks.

I had a kid so forums weren't exactly a priority for me.

Also, necro bump 🙂

• Like 5

Events Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, dra600n said:

dra600n bailed when NA got bought out after like 2 weeks.

I had a kid so forums weren't exactly a priority for me.

Also, necro bump 🙂

Hey Adam!

It's nice seeing you posting something on here, we had a lot of fun back when NA was up (and also in some tinychat night sessions, haha!). Having kid(s) certainly change one's life priorities, I went through it myself.

4 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Hey Adam!

It's nice seeing you posting something on here, we had a lot of fun back when NA was up (and also in some tinychat night sessions, haha!). Having kid(s) certainly change one's life priorities, I went through it myself.

It sure does! And we sure did! All those drunken game challenges on cam 😅

glad to see you’re still around!