IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Chili

Gloves

May 2024 Poll  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Whatcha ween eet?

This poll is closed to new votes

Administrator · Posted

Apologies for the delay, being human I need money so I can eat, so I've prioritized that lately.

But we out here.

So let's vote! Lightning round this time; give 'er two days I'd say and then we'll call it official.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

homer simpson GIF

I hope you aren't talking about the 5lb can of chili I sent you.  But the chili season packet.  Remember, chili can be frozen and taste good when reheated months later.

Bro the fuck am I supposed to do with a 5lb can of chili if not use it for chili month?

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

• The title was changed to VGS Cooking Club: The Chili
Social Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Bro the fuck am I supposed to do with a 5lb can of chili if not use it for chili month?

You were suppose to cook it for the whole block as a house party thing.  Best use that chili on more than spaghetti.  Get out the bake potato... BAM!  Chili potato.  Flour tortilla....  BAM!  Chili chilito.  Hot dog..... BAM!  Chili coney.  Fries..... BAM!  Chili cheese fries.  Cream cheese.... BAM!  Chili dip.  You need like 10lb block of mild cheader cheese to shred with the smallest size on a box grader to pair with 5lbs of Cincinnati chili. Gotta make it super fluffly cheese and you are doing it right.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

You were suppose to cook it for the whole block as a house party thing.  Best use that chili on more than spaghetti.  Get out the bake potato... BAM!  Chili potato.  Flour tortilla....  BAM!  Chili chilito.  Hot dog..... BAM!  Chili coney.  Fries..... BAM!  Chili cheese fries.  Cream cheese.... BAM!  Chili dip.  You need like 10lb block of mild cheader cheese to shred with the smallest size on a box grader to pair with 5lbs of Cincinnati chili. Gotta make it super fluffly cheese and you are doing it right.  

So many solutions!

Editorials Team · Posted
4 minutes ago, FireHazard51 said:

Cincinnati chili (including the shredded mild cheder cheese) is like butter, you can put it on everything and it will make it taste better.

What about Des Moines Cincy fusion chili?

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody gonna cook? I made chili yesterday 

On 5/3/2024 at 1:59 PM, FireHazard51 said:

block of mild cheader cheese to shred with the smallest size on a box grader

and I did that.

IMG_7918.jpeg.8361804ac7126b514e33c739b6819fbb.jpeg

Recipe from a friend of a friend:

"I make vegan chili all of the time and I don’t use fake meat! Just get a bunch of cans. Black beans, pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato paste. And then chop onions and bell peppers. throw in a bunch of chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Turn heat on and there it is! It’s literally the cheapest and easiest dish. As a vegetarian for 30 years, I guarantee this dish slays!"

I gotta say, yeah it came out pretty good.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Social Team · Posted
6 hours ago, Link said:

Anybody gonna cook? I made chili yesterday 

and I did that.

IMG_7918.jpeg.8361804ac7126b514e33c739b6819fbb.jpeg

Recipe from a friend of a friend:

"I make vegan chili all of the time and I don’t use fake meat! Just get a bunch of cans. Black beans, pinto beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato paste. And then chop onions and bell peppers. throw in a bunch of chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Turn heat on and there it is! It’s literally the cheapest and easiest dish. As a vegetarian for 30 years, I guarantee this dish slays!"

I gotta say, yeah it came out pretty good.

Looks like a pretty good job on the shredding.  But you need more cheese topping... Like a lot

Spoiler

Its Skyline Time GIF by Skyline Chili

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Count said:

I've never understood this. 80+ degrees and muggy, better make some hot, spicy chili! Pho is in the same boat. 

Apparently if you're cold and eat ice cream you will warm up.  

Pretty sure that doesn't work in reverse though...

It's a mystery....

On 5/21/2024 at 2:13 PM, The Count said:

I've never understood this. 80+ degrees and muggy, better make some hot, spicy chili! Pho is in the same boat. 

Don't look at me, I voted for ramen 😛

• Haha 3

I haven't been active for a few months, but I have dollar store clear out the pantry I'm broke lunch here. $.75 Great Value hot dog chili, $1.25 Gwaltny hot dogs, tortillas, and fiesta cheese. 2 literal feats right here for a combined total of $2.50. I bought some quality beef on sale, so I may make a homemade chili soon(I also have a bag of dried beans I need to use)20240523_124208.jpg.a46d229825de67ceafcf6c3732204537.jpgCompress_20240523_133620_0129.jpg.7e11c487af8dad68a9c49a7c625d0665.jpg

It's like fast food heaven.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Posted (edited)

Since I've heard so much about it around Sage I looked up a Recipe for Cincinnati Chili.  It turned out very good and I followed the recipe almost exactly, except after a few taste tests along the way I knew it would benefit from one addition: Raisins.  I can already hear the yelling, but it was a perfect fit.  Would def recommend the variation.  The odd thing was about half way through this plate I had the sense that it still needed something and I'm unsure what that might be.  There's more cheese there than it looks like in the pic. and I picked up right away on why chili needs a lot of cheese when I tried the finished product.  Might have just been the need for a pinch more salt... Anyway, I'm sure I'll make it again some time.

EDIT: Just went in for round 2 -feel like the missing thing could be Kalamata Olives or maybe even Capers as an additional garnish, but I don't have any at the moment so I can't say for certain...

Cin Chilli.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Social Team · Posted

So happy to see people try bastardizations of Cincinnati Chili.  People always underestimate how much cheese is actually called for.  It's hearty meal to eat and very much an Americanized meal that immigrants made.  Our best meals are always rooted in another country's meal that we made into our own.

• Like 1