IGNORED

Song Debate #2: Ice Ice Baby

Rate it  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite songs of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing song.
    • 8/10 - Great song. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional listen.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good. You will more likely than not turn the station if it comes on the radio.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - Competing with Lil Xan and Blood on the Dance Floor

2 hours ago, The Count said:

Yeah, he sampled Queen/Bowie and should have just admitted it at the time.

whoa, whoa, whoa. it's totally different. Here's the word from the Ice Man himself:

this song is awesome. easy 10/10. i love it unironically. it is my go-to karaoke song. Have seen V-Ice live a few times and they were all good performances. Met him one time when he was high as a goddamn kite and i got his autograph. It is a giant scribble.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, fox said:

Wasn’t enough to ruin hip hop,  Vanilla Ice remade Ice Ice Baby so he could ruin Metal too

Ahh nu metal.  Pretty typical if you ask me. The thing about it is that there was a whole period where we all were supposed to pretend that making annoying noises on the guitar was a valuable skill.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

teenage mutant ninja turtles dancing GIF

I’m not saying it’s a bad song but I’m sitting here wondering why you all are giving this song such high praises with all of these 9 and 10 of 10s.

Then I saw this.  The Turtles association explains it all.

I didn’t grow up on pop music and didn’t start listening to it until late High School. This is truly one of those things where you had to be there to love it now. I love old kids movies like The Princess Bride and The Goonies, but I have consistently heard from people that saw those movies in young adulthood that those films aren’t that great. That’s 100% not true for those of us that saw those films as a kid though.

But this song.  It was the jam of fifth grade. If that were true for you, I could see why you’d rate it highly, but as someone who only heard it in passing and then listened to it as a young adult… man, it’s as cheesy as D. C. Talk.

Edited by RH

7 minutes ago, RH said:

Then I saw this.  The Turtles association explains it all.

funny story. Like 10 years ago, this commercial came out:

i thought it was amazing and showed it to my wife. She thought it was good, but was confused why they were gearing ads with 90s nostalgia to people like us. She said "shouldn't they aim that more at like parents?" then it hit her.

• Haha 4

On 1/15/2024 at 12:25 AM, Tulpa said:

It's fun, but it's also hilarious to hear some of these songs in hindsight after gangsta rap hit and listen to Ice talking about guns and stuff.

I'm pretty sure that part is true. He breaks down the lyrics of the song in this video and talks about commonly hearing gunfire in south beach back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-type said:

I'm pretty sure that part is true. He breaks down the lyrics of the song in this video and talks about commonly hearing gunfire in south beach back then.

I don't doubt it, but it's weird hearing pop and whatnot (like MJ's stuff) talk about "the streets" compared to what came along a few years later. 

On 1/14/2024 at 4:59 PM, Hammerfestus said:

teenage mutant ninja turtles dancing GIF

Yes sir!  Just goes to show contrary to popular belief, Ice was not a "one hit wonder"!  He was a TWO hit wonder!

I'm guessing now over 30(!!) years later it's not exactly the "new skool sound" anymore!  Come to think of it, this song/video, which is credited with being the first rap/hip hop song/video, came out only about 12 years prior!

Beyond how I feel about Vanilla Ice because of the 90s I have a special memory of this song in my pocket.  The most fun I’ve ever had sitting in traffic was listening to this and Ninja Rap in the car on the bridge waiting to get in to the amusement park with the kiddos blasting the tunes and singing along.  This was the anthem of last summer.