IGNORED

Oh no, you're dead! You can take only one game with you into eternity. What is it?

RH

Using the general after-life rules of The Good Place, you have just died and and are the only statistical anomaly in the history of mankind to score a "goodness" score of 0!

So you get to spend eternity in a "mediocre" place.  It's not good, it's not bad.   Your home is always 1-2 degrees colder or warmer than you'd prefer.  There's good food in the fridge...but it's always leftovers.   There's television but all that's on is vintage Nick-at-Night, The Weather Channel, sports but only the ones you've never cared about and occasionally there's specials like a rock concert by bands like... Fleetwood Mac.  You also can watch any movie you like... but all of them are on worn out VHS tapes that you can aaaaalmost perfectly track on the VCR, but can never get just right.

The committee has decided that going into the after life, you can take with you one console that will either be hooked up to a Panasonic CRT TV from the 90s with slightly distorted geometry on the edges OR a 1080p Orion LCD HDTV "Black Friday special".   You know, the cheap kind no one really wants but it was $100, so you can always throw it in the kids room after you discover it's mediocrity.  Either TV is guarantied to work forever since this is eternity.  The set that will be selected will match the general period of the console and game you choose.

Now, the catch to this is you get to pick one, and only one game for your console.  This is the only video game you get to play for the rest of eternity.  Will you get bored with it?  Probably.  Can you try to get crafty and choose a console that has a game embedded in a menu, or a there's an Easter Egg buried in a device?  Well, if there is a console like that, then sure.  Feel free to try to "bend" this rule, but the idea is straight-forward.  You get one console and one game to take with you, and that's it.  That's what you have to game with for eternity.

What console/game do you pick?

(The flavor is for fun, but the meat of this question is if you could only play one game, for eternity, what would it be.  Feel free to craft your own story for a single PC game... just play it on the lowest graphics and audio settings. :P)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Count said:

I suppose it would have to be something like an MMORPG to keep my interest. 

Oh, man, I was going to say the original Halo. I love that game and could spend an eternity running around and finding new ways to break that game, but this is such a better answer. I feel dumb for not thinking of it. 😄

4 hours ago, RH said:

So you get to spend eternity in a "mediocre" place.  It's not good, it's not bad.   Your home is always 1-2 degrees colder or warmer than you'd prefer.  There's good food in the fridge...but it's always leftovers.   There's television but all that's on is vintage Nick-at-Night, The Weather Channel, sports but only the ones you've never cared about and occasionally there's specials like a rock concert by bands like... Fleetwood Mac.  You also can watch any movie you like... but all of them are on worn out VHS tapes that you can aaaaalmost perfectly track on the VCR, but can never get just right.

Sounds like Hell to me.

I'd probably bring Rockband and the CRT because the only thing worse than the Hell is input lag.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

Wait does this scenario allow for 2 player?

Sure, and btw, the idea isn’t that you get one game.  You get one VIDEO game.  So assume you have a closet with chess, checkers and a deck of cards.  But a joker is missing, as is a black checker piece and a white pawn.

Graphics Team · Posted

I'd definitely choose a TurboGrafx-16 Mini as my "one console for eternity" since it has a killer preloaded game library. But that's probably not in the spirit of the question haha.

Otherwise - anyone know if there's a console with a good Atari / classic Arcade anthology disc and a good joystick controller? Because that would probably be my "proper" choice.

[T-Pac]

5 hours ago, T-Pac said:

I'd definitely choose a TurboGrafx-16 Mini as my "one console for eternity" since it has a killer preloaded game library. But that's probably not in the spirit of the question haha.

Otherwise - anyone know if there's a console with a good Atari / classic Arcade anthology disc and a good joystick controller? Because that would probably be my "proper" choice.

[T-Pac]

This might be up your alley: https://www.ign.com/games/a-collection-of-activision-classic-games-for-the-atari-2600

And this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_Anniversary_Edition

5 hours ago, T-Pac said:

[T-Pac]

Have you had a chance to check out Atari 50 yet (out for various consoles, but my Secret Santa got me the Switch one last year and I absolutely love it)?

Graphics Team · Posted
On 11/18/2023 at 6:11 PM, RH said:

Wow - I would've expected more games packed into console anthologies like that considering Atari Flashback consoles regularly have 100+ built-in titles. But i guess those releases are pretty old by now haha.

[T-Pac]

On 11/18/2023 at 6:41 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

Have you had a chance to check out Atari 50 yet (out for various consoles, but my Secret Santa got me the Switch one last year and I absolutely love it)?

I've heard about it, but never checked it out. I don't actually own or play modern platforms - my question about modern compilations of classic games was just to get a hypothetical answer to @RH's prompt. It's cool to see Atari getting a positive reception to that anniversary release, though.

[T-Pac]

• 2 weeks later...