IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 1

BeaIank

47 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

14319 and 99900 for Boulder Dash and Toxic Crusaders respectively. BTW after playing it for a bit longer I just realized the controls in BD are just ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT. Just purely inconsistent whoreshit. Seriously who programmed this.....

DSC00918(Custom).JPG.9527f5c2834ffb240056633b34379fd2.JPG

DSC00920(Custom).JPG.1195944f9648562a2b97c47a8e058938.JPG

DSC00915(Custom).JPG.f8877d51dca0e6fbbc5b17e1308c7035.JPG

You must have the patience of a saint to get that Toxic Crusaders score. How long did that take???

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

You must have the patience of a saint to get that Toxic Crusaders score. How long did that take???

I was wondering the same thing.  Once I saw point scumming was legal, I was like, "aw man, how much can I take?"  I got about a quarter of the way to max score after about an hour maybe and that's where I found my personal answer.

Looks like BlackVega is going to have a healthy point lead after Round 1...

2 minutes ago, PII said:

Where was the point pressing in Toxic Avengers?

I know we were supposed to be doing it. 

It just never jumped out at me....

Easiest way is killing the first three dudes then fall in the first whirlpool to reset the level and wash, rinse, repeat.  Boring as all f'n get out...

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Easiest way is killing the first three dudes then fall in the first whirlpool to reset the level and wash, rinse, repeat.  Boring as all f'n get out...

Aach!, of course.  I went into one intentionally right off the bat and never bothered to put that together...

Oh well, like you say, that would have been a bore.

Looks like BlackVega is the #1 Farmhand around here.

Just now, PII said:

Aach!, of course.  I went into one intentionally right off the bat and never bothered to put that together...

Oh well, like you say, that would have been a bore.

Looks like BlackVega is the #1 Farmhand around here.

You and I will be tied for second if @NESfiend doesn't pop in last second and drop a deuce on us...

@BlackVega Nicely done.  All the way through Volcano World on 1 life is dedication!

5 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You and I will be tied for second if @NESfiend doesn't pop in last second and drop a deuce on us...

@NESfiend I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Ah fuck it, I'm angry too.     😉 

• Haha 1

Just now, PII said:

@Dr. Morbis  Feels like forever since I got to compete with the Mighty Morbo!

Well it looks like it's on like Donkey Kong now.  I honestly didn't even consider anyone else a contender; I thought it would be you and I at the top with many points splitting us from third place.  But along came....   BlackVega?!?!?

I'm going to have to brush up on my Galaga and Gold Medal Challenge skills while you guys are stuffin' yourselves with turkey... 😉

1 minute ago, PII said:

Damn Canadians.

Apparently you're to be blamed for everything.  🙂 

Just don't blame us for the controls in Boulder Dash.  I swear every death was because of them.  It doesn't even blank the screen when you pause so I would pause to plan my moves, then as soon as I try to do something, the game is like, nope - you dead!

4 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Just don't blame us for the controls in Boulder Dash.  I swear every death was because of them.  It doesn't even blank the screen when you pause so I would pause to plan my moves, then as soon as I try to do something, the game is like, nope - you dead!

Yeah, controls were really frustrating for a while.  Boulder Dash has been on my "To Play List" forever.  I've always wondered why it's inexpensive.  Now I know.  Still I'd like to play the whole thing one of these days.

5 minutes ago, PII said:

Yeah, controls were really frustrating for a while.  Boulder Dash has been on my "To Play List" forever.  I've always wondered why it's inexpensive.  Now I know.  Still I'd like to play the whole thing one of these days.

So would I, but I think it only lets you continue at the start of each world, so beating some of those later worlds of the second quest in one game is going to be a bear.

It's actually a quality game but the "tapping a direction doesn't move you" controls kinda kill it.  It feels like the first Mega Man where if you tap right, he just wiggles his toe instead of moving a pixel; in Boulder Dash, if you tap right, you think you'll move one full square (since it's a grid system) but you don't move at all: you need a sustained input on the D-pad to make him move,  which is counter-intuitive for NES players used to every other game in the library.  They also should have let you push skulls without holding the button down as well.  Those two changes would have put the game in the upper echelons of NES puzzlers since the level design, graphics, music, etc are all top notch.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

They also should have let you push skulls without holding the button down

You can.

If you hold "A" and push the boulder/skull moves but you do not.  If you just push w/o holding "A" you move with it.   There are some very good ideas in this game.  I'm very curious now how some other ports play...

2 minutes ago, PII said:

You can.

If you hold "A" and push the boulder/skull moves but you do not.  If you just push w/o holding "A" you move with it.   There are some very good ideas in this game.  I'm very curious now how some other ports play...

That never seemed to work for me (probably because I was tapping the direction in order to not move my player) but I also have less than an hour of total play time on this game in my life, so I'll keep this in mind whenever the time comes for me to do a deep dive.  I'm on a lifelong quest to beat every game in the library, so I'll get to it eventually...

Edited by Dr. Morbis