IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 1

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

SKAGNS

This game genie code changes the cheat code from Left, Right, A, B, A, Down, Up on the second controller to Left, Left, Left, Left, Left, Left, Left.

I am trying to come up with codes that make the first controller being read instead of the second one. I have found most of where that happens, but I am yet to find where in the code the first left input is triggered to branch to the cheat code to run.

On 11/19/2023 at 10:00 PM, PII said:

@BlackVega Nicely done.  All the way through Volcano World on 1 life is dedication!

@NESfiend I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

Ah fuck it, I'm angry too.     😉 

Fair. I could give you a long story about being out of town all this week and what it took to get ready to get out of town that long during some big litigation, but its no excuse. I am not done in this tournament. If it makes you feel any better, I have been racing some. Spent too much time today playing Mario Kart 8 with my son. The weather in northern michigan called for a day inside and we made the most of it. 

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Fair. I could give you a long story about being out of town all this week and what it took to get ready to get out of town that long during some big litigation, but its no excuse. I am not done in this tournament. If it makes you feel any better, I have been racing some. Spent too much time today playing Mario Kart 8 with my son. The weather in northern michigan called for a day inside and we made the most of it. 

No worries, I'z jus horsin' around!  I know sometimes there's just too much goin' on.  Glad to hear you're racin' and ¡wow! you were almost (kinda-sorta-totally-but-not-really-but-yeah-really-N.M.-should-be) in my home state!  

ps

I am so far behind on Mario Kart games it is just sad at this point.

Events Team · Posted
On 11/20/2023 at 10:26 AM, RH said:

Is there any  way to enter the code for Commando without a second controller?  I don't own this game and the best way for me to play is on my Analog Pocket.

OK, you can patch your rom with the following codes so that the cheat is always activated.

OZTGVS
PATGNI
SATKES
EGTKOS
GATKXI
ATTKUI

Also add the 1 life game genie code to speed things up as the level select only works when 1P cont is selected:

AEKKIILA

For people playing on an NES or emulator that have access to a game genie, I recommend using the following codes:

AEKKIILA - 1 life only to be able to select 1P cont faster
SKAGNS - changes the cheat code from Left, Right, A, B, A, Down, Up on the second controller to Left, Left, Left, Left, Left, Left, Left on the second controller

I will post this code on the rules this weekend.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 7:45 AM, BeaIank said:

OK, you can patch your rom with the following codes so that the cheat is always activated.

OZTGVS
PATGNI
SATKES
EGTKOS
GATKXI
ATTKUI

Also add the 1 life game genie code to speed things up as the level select only works when 1P cont is selected:

AEKKIILA

For people playing on an NES or emulator that have access to a game genie, I recommend using the following codes:

AEKKIILA - 1 life only to be able to select 1P cont faster
SKAGNS - changes the cheat code from Left, Right, A, B, A, Down, Up on the second controller to Left, Left, Left, Left, Left, Left, Left on the second controller

I will post this code on the rules this weekend.

I'm about to load and test these now.  Also, can I get some clarification on Galaga?  I assume it's a1-life game.  If so, does that mean we can get a double-ship and that counts as one?  If we lose the second fighter, is that when we pause and take a picture?  I mean, if you never pick up the double-ship, you die with one-life. If you pick up the double ship and then play til you die, that's sort of two lives.  How does this pan out for the rules? 

EDIT

Also, the GG patches didn't work.  Specifically, I seemed to start on stage 1, regardless of the codes, but the second 1 life code worked.  However, when the heli lands and the player jumps out, I can't see the sprite plus it's stuck.

I have a ROM named Command (U).nes, which I assume is the US version.  The Japanese version has Japanese at the title screen but mine is in English.

I hate to ask but... can I get a ROM?  I can try to patch it on my own.  Sorry for this hassle.  If I can't get it to work, I'll just sit that game out.

Edited by RH

If all these codes and patches or hacks or whatever don't work, perhaps a rule set that works with the vanilla version of the game might be better for everyone involved?  I don't mind pulling out my game genie for the next round if I have to, but sometimes the simplest solution to a problem ends up being the best way to go...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, RH said:

I'm about to load and test these now.  Also, can I get some clarification on Galaga?  I assume it's a1-life game.  If so, does that mean we can get a double-ship and that counts as one?  If we lose the second fighter, is that when we pause and take a picture?  I mean, if you never pick up the double-ship, you die with one-life. If you pick up the double ship and then play til you die, that's sort of two lives.  How does this pan out for the rules? 

EDIT

Also, the GG patches didn't work.  Specifically, I seemed to start on stage 1, regardless of the codes, but the second 1 life code worked.  However, when the heli lands and the player jumps out, I can't see the sprite plus it's stuck.

I have a ROM named Command (U).nes, which I assume is the US version.  The Japanese version has Japanese at the title screen but mine is in English.

I hate to ask but... can I get a ROM?  I can try to patch it on my own.  Sorry for this hassle.  If I can't get it to work, I'll just sit that game out.

With or without the GG codes, the stage select code only sends you to the stage you picked if you had a game over and selected the 1P cont option on the title screen, not the 1P option.

Whence I added the 1 life only code. So you can game over faster.

But if even that doesn't work for you, we will do stage 1-1 to stage 1-4 only then.

• Thanks 1

• The topic was unpinned