IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Tournament Round 1

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

You must have the patience of a saint to get that Toxic Crusaders score. How long did that take???

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Once I saw point scumming was legal, I was like, "aw man, how much can I take?"  I got about a quarter of the way to max score after about an hour maybe and that's where I found my personal answer.

Looks like BlackVega is going to have a healthy point lead after Round 1...

I wasn't aware there was an 'infinite' point pressing strat on Toxic Crusaders, I thought the point pressing rule was about milking extra points throughout the stage 5 run. Well, what's done is done I guess!

Events Team · Posted

Round 1 Results

Toxic Crusaders :
1st BlackVega        99,900 = 6 points
2nd Dr. Morbis       24,500 = 4 points
3rd PII                     4,400 =   3 points
4th Richardhead       3,645 =  2 points

5th SuperJimtendo 1,900 = 1 points
6th mbd39               1,700
7th RH                       800
8th Nesfiend             no entry

Boulder Dash :
1st BlackVega         14,319 = 6 points
2nd PII                      4,440 = 4 points
3rd Dr. Morbis          3,840 = 3 points
4th Richardhead         3,645 = 2 points
5th SuperJimtendo   1,570 = 1 point
6th mbd39                 1,320
7th RH                        630
8th Nesfiend              no entry

Tournament Ranking After Round 1 :
1st BlackVega         12 points
2nd Dr. Morbis        7 points
2nd PII                     7 points
4th Richardhead       4 points
5th SuperJimtendo 2 points
6th mbd39
6th RH
6th Nesfiend

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlackVega said:

Does that mean you were one of the ones who bailed out of this?? Holy shit so many people rejected the golden opportunity to potentially become a worldwide celebrity...

You got my spot and you are doing way better than I would have. There's no way I would have finished first in both contests.

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

I will update the final standings later today.

Next round will be posted on the 26th so the US folk can enjoy Thanksgiving.

The games for it will be Commando and Galaga if you want to start practising.

Is there any  way to enter the code for Commando without a second controller?  I don't own this game and the best way for me to play is on my Analog Pocket.

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

Is there any  way to enter the code for Commando without a second controller?  I don't own this game and the best way for me to play is on my Analog Pocket.

Iirc, there isn't, but there should be a game genie code to start at stage 7.
I will check it and post here.

38 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Iirc, there isn't, but there should be a game genie code to start at stage 7.
I will check it and post here.

Thanks, then just to be fully clear and covered, can I use this utility to patch the ROM

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1054/

There's no Game Genie interface on the NES cores, but I can patch a GG code into a game with that application.

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, RH said:

Thanks, then just to be fully clear and covered, can I use this utility to patch the ROM

https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1054/

There's no Game Genie interface on the NES cores, but I can patch a GG code into a game with that application.

Of course you can.

Also, I just found out that the most that you can go on the NES version is stage 4-4, so I will provide a code to start at 4-1.

Events Team · Posted

So, I found the address that is set when the cheatcode is inputted, so now I am looking to find the code that checks for that cheatcode in rom so I can change it to only be up in the P1 pad and generate a gamegenie code for that.

I will have updates through the week.

20 hours ago, guillavoie said:

I wasn't aware there was an 'infinite' point pressing strat on Toxic Crusaders, I thought the point pressing rule was about milking extra points throughout the stage 5 run. Well, what's done is done I guess!

I have nothing against point-scumming if there's some sort of risk/reward component attached to it.  So, using Toxic Crusaders as an example, if I had been making the rules, it would have been progress first, then points as the tie-breaker; that way you still need to have the skillz to perform when it matters and get through the level carrying your 99,900 points after all those hours of point scumming, or it's all for naught.  I was able to beat the level with all my points intact, others were not... just saying... 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I have nothing against point-scumming if there's some sort of risk/reward component attached to it.  So, using Toxic Crusaders as an example, if I had been making the rules, it would have been progress first, then points as the tie-breaker; that way you still need to have the skillz to perfrom when it matters and get through the level carrying your 99,900 points after all those hours of point scumming, or it's all for naught.  I was able to beat the level with all my points intact, others were not... just saying... 😉

I have to agree.  Any time point pressing is permitted, progress should be the first consideration.

On 11/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, BeaIank said:

So, I found the address that is set when the cheatcode is inputted, so now I am looking to find the code that checks for that cheatcode in rom so I can change it to only be up in the P1 pad and generate a gamegenie code for that.

I will have updates through the week.

want-it-i-want-it.gif.204c8ea4273e50a28cecb5d717afc732.gif