IGNORED

What movies have you been watching?

acromite53

Editorials Team · Posted

My wife was out of town so I actually got to watch some stuff

The Predator - I appreciated the comic relief, which was easily the best part of the movie.  The actual action and plot was alright I guess.

Halloween (2018) - I did not realize this was a reboot... of ALL the Halloween sequels.  Pretty cool idea, but the actual movie was only alright.  I'm kinda surprised this got so much praise.

Bohemian Rhapsody - Way too much plot and ground covered for a two hour movie.  They would have been better served focusing around a specific event or time in the band's career, instead of trying to quickly rush through nearly 20 years.

The Cabin in the Woods - another rewatch.  I love this movie.

Goodnight Mommy - Pretty good, and disturbing.  As a father of twin boys I was trying to mentally prepare myself for the worst.  This was also one of the few times where I caught the twist right in the beginning.  Though I guess the true twist was a little more subtle.

3 hours ago, acromite53 said:

What have you been watching recently?

I finally watched "The Shining" (1980). Incredible film. Jack Nicholson's performance is captivating. Especially his first scene at the bar. Shelly Duvall was also great. It's amazing that Stephen King didn't like it. 

Yeah it always bugged me that Stephen King didn't like it. I mean Jack is...out there and I get WHY King didn't want him to play...Jack...he's supposed to be normal in the book...but slowly turns insane and angry as he spends more time in the hotel. But Jack is SUCH a good fit for when the shit hits the fan. Oh god I loved him going crazy.

But what really irks me is after all this time Stephen King is still bad mouthing the movie. Saying the Dr. Sleep movie is "much better". Yeah...the book was garbage and I refuse to see the movie. It might be better then the book but when I think so poorly of the book...it's a given the movie probably won't impress me. It follows the same plot after all.

Anyways back on topic. I recently watched El Camino and The Laundromat. I loved El Camino (Aaron Paul 😍), but The Laundromat was confusing. I also rewatched Hocus Pocus for the 10,000th time it seems. Still as good as ever!

11 hours ago, Astor Reinhardt said:

Yeah it always bugged me that Stephen King didn't like it. I mean Jack is...out there and I get WHY King didn't want him to play...Jack...he's supposed to be normal in the book...but slowly turns insane and angry as he spends more time in the hotel. But Jack is SUCH a good fit for when the shit hits the fan. Oh god I loved him going crazy.

But what really irks me is after all this time Stephen King is still bad mouthing the movie. Saying the Dr. Sleep movie is "much better". Yeah...the book was garbage and I refuse to see the movie. It might be better then the book but when I think so poorly of the book...it's a given the movie probably won't impress me. It follows the same plot after all.

Anyways back on topic. I recently watched El Camino and The Laundromat. I loved El Camino (Aaron Paul 😍), but The Laundromat was confusing. I also rewatched Hocus Pocus for the 10,000th time it seems. Still as good as ever!

The fact that they are making a sequel is blasphemous. At least they didn't call ot the Shining 2. 

• Like 1

Just watched You Were Never Really Here. It's a great film. One of my favorite Joaquin Phoenix performances of all time.

Plus, it's a Lynne Ramsay flick.  She's incredible  Though it did take her like 7 years to finally come out with another movie.

Beyond that, I've been watching horror movies. I'm always a fan of the genre but especially so around this time of year. So if you have any reccos, I'm all ears. 

Moderator · Posted
5 minutes ago, behemos said:

Just watched You Were Never Really Here. It's a great film. One of my favorite Joaquin Phoenix performances of all time.

Plus, it's a Lynne Ramsay flick.  She's incredible  Though it did take her like 7 years to finally come out with another movie.

Beyond that, I've been watching horror movies. I'm always a fan of the genre but especially so around this time of year. So if you have any reccos, I'm all ears. 

That’s a great film!

1 hour ago, The Count said:

Any of you guys see High and Low (1963) directed by Akira Kurosawa? I saw it the other day and absolutely recommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't seen any Kurosawa films yet. I'll probably start with Seven Samurai. I'm trying to watch more classic foreign films. I've seen French, and other European directors but haven't made it to Japan yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Monster Squad , inglorious bastards, and bohemian rhapsody. I regret nothing and was entertained. Monster Squad is total 80s campy goodness. Inglorious bastards is obviously one of those multi sub plot flicks but very well put together. Bohemian Rhapsody obviously has an awesome soundtrack and was a decent look into the bands history.

Edited by Dragonwarrior83

I finally watched "The Black Hole" for the first time, thanks to Disney+.  Not a bad movie at all, especially for its time and age.  While I don't hear a lot of disparaging things said about it, I'm honestly kind of shocked that it's not held in more reverence given the look and effects they were able to accomplish in a 95% pre-computer era.  (Star Wars had come out two years prior, so I'm going to give a bit of leeway for folks to have started taking advantage of the technology at that point, although things didn't really start to kick in big time until movies like Tron, 3 years later.)

Events Team · Posted

The Lighthouse is the movie I watched most recently. Good god.

I wish more people had heard of it, it seems like it's only getting a little bit of attention. I can't really describe much about the movie without getting in to heavy spoilers, but I personally loved it.

The basic plot synopsis is... well, two lighthouse keepers get stranded on a small island with a lighthouse on it (hence the title) in the 1890's, and they slowly start to lose their sanity whilst constantly butting heads with each other. That isn't even scratching the surface of the movie, but it's the most basic possible description of the plot. It primarily stars Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, who both give the performances of their careers for sure. I was in slack-jawed awe the whole movie with how good these two were, but in distinct ways.

It's filmed in 1.19:1 (very, very old aspect ratio mostly used in films from the early 20th century, similar to 4:3) and in black and white. While the film could perhaps be described as artsy, the choice to film in that aspect ratio in black and white did not to me come off as a gimmick. It added a ton to the claustrophobia and overall feel of the movie. I felt that if the movie was not filmed in this manner, it would've actually detracted from the experience, especially given the impeccable lighting that could only really be done effectively in black and white. The characters also speak in a sort of old-timey sailor dialect that is very accurate to the time period and setting, but can sometimes be a bit hard to understand. Again, though, that adds a lot to the movie.

It's one of those movies that kind of defies genre in a lot of ways, but the best way I could describe it would be a lovecraftian psychological horror mystery with a bit of comedy mixed in. Like I said, it's hard to fit it in to one genre 😛 It's a heavily ambiguous film in a lot of ways. Because of that, one of the things I loved about it is that it's one of those movies that you can't just sit back and enjoy without thinking, you're constantly trying to put puzzle pieces together in your head as the movie progresses, figuring out what means what, that sort of thing. Makes you feel like you're going insane along with the characters, another aspect I like about it. Gets in to your head. It facilitates discussion, and keeps you thinking about it long after the credits roll, trying to piece together what in god's name you just witnessed.

The cinematography is also absolutely amazing. The way it's shot very authentically makes it feel like a much older movie than it is. The score is also great as well. It kicks in at the best possible times, and along with what was happening on-screen, the score contributed in sending chills down my spine on multiple occasions. Particularly the track "Why'd Ya Spill Yer Beans?" and the circumstances that go along with it. I get chills just listening to it again. I will say this movie also has one of my favorite shots of all time from any film, but I won't say what it involves on account of spoilers. It comes from the scene in which the previously mentioned track plays over. Possibly one of my favorite scenes from any horror movie I've seen.

Anyway, I know none of you asked for a damn review of the movie, I just really enthusiastically loved it and wanted to get my thoughts out on it. Definitely going to be re-watching it on numerous occasions once it's theater run ends, and it immediately became one of my favorite horror movies of all time, up there with The Thing and the Shining for me personally. Kind of funny all my favorite horror movies begin with "The." Anyway, VERY highly recommend anyone who likes horror to see this movie. It may not be for folks who like definitive answers, but for everyone else, it's quite a ride.

TL;DR The Lighthouse, two men go insane on an island, cosmic horror, period-accurate dialogue with amazing performances, amazing score and cinematography, one of my favorite horror movies of all time, very good movie IMO, highly recommend to lovers of horror and character-driven movies.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
On 10/23/2019 at 7:52 AM, behemos said:

See my above best-selling novel on why you should watch The Lighthouse 😆