IGNORED

Game Debate #168: Nights into Dreams

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

I would love to own a Saturn and a handful of games for it as it's one of the rare consoles that I've never ever played for even a minute. Unfortunately, I think I missed the boat a decade plus ago when I passed on some reasonably-priced stuff and I doubt I'll ever rectify that.

But I've heard that Nights, while graphically quite impressive for its time, wasn't much more than an average experience. Certainly not at the top of my list for Saturn titles to collect.

Edited by Webhead123

The couple times I've owned/had access to a Saturn I've had this game.  I mean, it's pretty for a Saturn game, no doubt, and the unique controller was like Dreamcast v0.9 in feel too.  But once you get beyond the pretty and get into the mechanics, other than the flowing motion when/if you get really cozy with the mechanics, while flying, it's pretty fun.  In a way like how Sonic if you get so soiid on stages can be fast and like butter gliding along in those moments you can, that's Nights.  But the rest of it, it's clunky, didn't feel to magical to me even 20+ years ago, and aged worse.  It's a game of the time, a game of its fans, and I'm on the fence as you can do far better, but you can also do quite a bit worse too.  It's nice, but it's hard to recommend outside of it being a notable Saturn title if you have the hardware as I wouldn't even go as far as suggesting to emulate it.

There was a sequel to the thing the Wii got, since @Sumez asked about a modern port, and that's about as close as it gets.  I had this too on the original Wii era run of titles, and while it handles better than the Saturn did, it's still the same base mechanics they just added a bit more to and as such it did wear thin, just a bit slower.  The game really is a take it or leave it on your feelings about the game but it doesn't do enough to make it stand out as nicer than the original in mechanics.

• Like 1

I have great memories playing this game as a kid. I even got the Christmas demo from blockbuster which I still fire up almost every other year during December. The game really benefits from the 3D controller since the joystick adds a lot more control to the movements since it's a kind of 3d flying racer on rails. 

The boss fights are always fun and the flying mechanic is executed well but the game lacks an overall direction. One of the downfalls of the game is it could be a 3d platformer but never takes advantage of that aspect.

I'm a fan of racing and flying games so this has always been a game for me to go back to. It's easy to play in short bursts or try to complete in one sitting. Not a tough game to complete but the time aspect makes it difficult to master and gives replayability. 

8/10 with nostalgia factored in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I tried it once, but it definitely wasn't for me.  With that said, if I had played it back when it came out during an era when  most people hadn't played many 3D games, I might have enjoyed it more.  I can understand why it might have a bit of a reputation today, but if you've made it this long without playing it, you aren't missing much.  It certainly isn't a "game you must play before you die."  

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I tried it once, but it definitely wasn't for me.  With that said, if I had played it back when it came out during an era when  most people hadn't played many 3D games, I might have enjoyed it more.  I can understand why it might have a bit of a reputation today, but if you've made it this long without playing it, you aren't missing much.  It certainly isn't a "game you must play before you die."  

My thoughts exactly. It's worth a try if you get a chance, but you're not really missing out on much otherwise.

• Like 1

10/10. 

I fucking LOVE this game. I consider it to be an achievement, and it also has my #1 spot for favorite video game soundtracks of all time.

Short story here: In the fall of 1996, I had just turned 12, and desperately wanted a new Nintendo 64 for Christmas. It was hard to hide my disappointment on Christmas Day when I opened my "big gift" and it was... a Sega Saturn. 

I had pretty little experience with Sega at that time, and was not stoked. I didn't tell my mom though, she worked hard and we were pretty poor and apparently the story goes that wherever she went to buy my gifts, the salesperson sold her on the Saturn instead. What a sucker she was.

I got the console with the 3 games packin, and a few other games, one of them being NiGHTS. So I played Virtua Fighter 2... and it was pretty damn fun. Better than Mortal Kombat that I had for my SNES. Then I played Virtua Cop... I didn't have a gun yet but it was still super fun. Then I played Daytona USA and I was never a big racing fan but it was pretty damn fun and the graphics were great on all of these. 

Finally I played this weird ass game NiGHTS. Holy shit. What a strange, unique and wonderful game. I had so much damn fun. I couldn't stop playing it. I HAD to get "A" grades on every level. I was obsessed. 

I love it to death. It's literally the game that made me fall in love with the Sega Saturn. I got a Nintendo 64 a while later anyway. But if I had got one at Christmas, I probably would never have gotten a Saturn. So I always tell my mom thanks whenever I remember that story or it comes up. 

NiGHTS to me, is magical. It's representative of a moment in time in gaming, one that is special to me and unique to everyone. The transition period from 2D to 3D. It's so charming and fun, and I'm hard pressed to think of another game like it. 

So yea, 10/10 for me. I play it once a year, at least.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, Sumez said:

I never understood this game. Maybe if someone made a good modern port of it I should give it another try. Not sure if they already did. 

What part was confusing? You are obviously pretty good at games (I read your reviews) This game was pretty simplistic to me. Or was it the concept?