IGNORED

Game Debate #168: Nights into Dreams

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

• 2 weeks later...

The gamer me had played this for the first time about 10 years ago when I started collecting for the Saturn. I think it should be mentioned that the game was meant to played with a Saturn analogue controller which caters more for 3D and pseudo-3D games. 

The game seems a unique experience and I did enjoy it after messing around with it for about half an hour. Unfortunately, I couldn’t keep up with the interest as I don’t have much spare time these days. I can see though if I was playing this back when it came out in the mid-to-late 90s, this game would have been some revelation and the speed, gorgeous graphics and uniqueness of the game would have thoroughly impressed me.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, OptOut said:

What's the difference between this one and the Wii one? As a Sonic fan I would like to try this out at some point, but no way I'm actually playing a... 🤢 yegh... Saturn. 🤮

You single-company camp people…

I’ll fight alongside you Opty with my love for the N64, but I got fight along any supporter of the Saturn too.

You can complain about the internals of the device all you want, and Sega’s bonehead decisions that lead them to eventually stop making hardware, but the Saturn had excellent games that are fun to play.

I’m not starting a fight for the Saturn, I just have never understood the us-versus-them battles that people get into, and I’ve felt that way since I was a kid when the Genesis came out and commercials pitted it against Nintendo.

SEGA, Nintendo and Sony can make great games.  I’m not going to poopoo an old system just cause I didn’t own one and that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it today.

I mean, you do your thing and that’s fine.  Hate the Saturn if that’s what keeps you sane and all, but fundamentally I just don’t understand and it’s not just you Opty.  So many gamers started that way when they were kids and now we’re all 30-40 year old adults carrying our school yard grudges… about systems that died 25 years ago.

8 minutes ago, RH said:

I’ll fight alongside you Opty with my love for the N64, but I got fight along any supporter of the Saturn too.

You can complain about the internals of the device all you want, and Sega’s bonehead decisions that lead them to eventually stop making hardware, but the Saturn had excellent games that are fun to play.

I’m not starting a fight for the Saturn, I just have never understood the us-versus-them battles that people get into, and I’ve felt that way since I was a kid when the Genesis came out and commercials pitted it against Nintendo.

SEGA, Nintendo and Sony can make great games.  I’m not going to poopoo an old system just cause I didn’t own one and that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it today.

I mean, you do your thing and that’s fine.  Hate the Saturn if that’s what keeps you sane and all, but fundamentally I just don’t understand and it’s not just you Opty.  So many gamers started that way when they were kids and now we’re all 30-40 year old adults carrying our school yard grudges… about systems that died 25 years ago.

I mean, I'm mostly taking the piss, but there are systems I just don't care for at all, mainly all the Playstations and Saturn. I have no ill-will towards the people who do enjoy them, and on a rational level I realise there are great games and experiences on these systems. But, there is no room for them in my collection, my life, or my heart, and I'm cool with that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, OptOut said:

I mean, I'm mostly taking the piss, but there are systems I just don't care for at all, mainly all the Playstations and Saturn. I have no ill-will towards the people who do enjoy them, and on a rational level I realise there are great games and experiences on these systems. But, there is no room for them in my collection, my life, or my heart, and I'm cool with that.

Ok, cool.  Well I can extend an olive branch in the sense and maybe I should start "hating" the OG XBox.  I'm kind of in the same camp as you, as you're stating in the last post.

I mean, I do have an XBox 360 I got for $10 at a yard sale (and works, with a controller) and I've kept it for one game series-- Halo.  Literally.  That is the only XBox exclusive I care about. 

I mean Forza is almost cool, and I'd add it to the list, but why would I play that trash when I have the far superior GT series games?  It's like eating a Lay's Stax potato chip--every time I do, I think "This  is good.... but I'd rather be eating Pringles".  That's my experience with Forza.  I just want to go back to Gran Turismo, and that's really the only game I've ever cared to try and get into.  Otherwise the whole ecosystem is a waste.

(Did... did I do that right?  Is that proper, passive-aggressive shade?) 

1 minute ago, RH said:

Ok, cool.  Well I can extend an olive branch in the sense and maybe I should start "hating" the OG XBox.  I'm kind of in the same camp as you, as you're stating in the last post.

I mean, I do have an XBox 360 I got for $10 at a yard sale (and works, with a controller) and I've kept it for one game series-- Halo.  Literally.  That is the only XBox exclusive I care about. 

I mean Forza is almost cool, and I'd add it to the list, but why would I play that trash when I have the far superior GT series games?  It's like eating a Lay's Stax potato chip--every time I do, I think "This  is good.... but I'd rather be eating Pringles".  That's my experience with Forza.  I just want to go back to Gran Turismo, and that's really the only game I've ever cared to try and get into.  Otherwise the whole ecosystem is a waste.

(Did... did I do that right?  Is that proper, passive-aggressive shade?) 

Lol, did I actually offend you with my little puke emoji?! If so I apologise! 😅

I have a hard time getting genuinely worked up over other people's opinions on videogames, so sometimes I'm not sure if I've crossed the line with any of my hyperbolic shit-talking! 💩

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OptOut said:

Lol, did I actually offend you with my little puke emoji?! If so I apologise! 😅

I have a hard time getting genuinely worked up over other people's opinions on videogames, so sometimes I'm not sure if I've crossed the line with any of my hyperbolic shit-talking! 💩

No, we're cool.  In life and in general, I'm unoffendable.  I can call out bad behavior and such, but I'm mostly unoffendable.  I was playfully responding.

You like to trash talk... so that was, as I stated, my "olive branch".  I trash talked a system you love!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, RH said:

No, we're cool.  In life and in general, I'm unoffendable.  I can call out bad behavior and such, but I'm mostly unoffendable.  I was playfully responding.

You like to trash talk... so that was, as I stated, my "olive branch".  I trash talked a system you love!

Well, that's all well and good, but I'm afraid I AM offended by what you said, and if you want to remain friends I demand a full apology and some cash compensation for emotional distress caused. 😭

1 minute ago, OptOut said:

Well, that's all well and good, but I'm afraid I AM offended by what you said, and if you want to remain friends I demand a full apology and some cash compensation for emotional distress caused. 😭

I'm offended by your offense.  Ye shall be my first, useless, day-one vote off in the next WW game we're in together.

The Simpsons Burn Bridge GIF

• Haha 1

I played it once when I first bought a Saturn a little over 10 years ago.  I recognized it as something that would have been interesting for someone playing it when it first came out, especially if it was the first 3D game they had played.  But playing it in the modern world didn't really do much for me, and I had no desire to ever go back to it.  The Saturn in general is probably my least used Sega console.  I feel odd giving a rating to a game that I played so little, but I also know I played it enough to know I won't ever play it again.  

EDIT:  I completely forgot that I already answered this about two months ago.  It's interesting out similar my answer from today was to my answer from two months ago.  But it really is how I feel about the game.  

Edited by TDIRunner

3 hours ago, RH said:

… it’s just kinda rare and expensive and fragile. I’d say the same (literally have never even seen a Saturn irl.) Nothing to do with brand loyalty for me. I’m all in on a Day 1 Vote: OptOut though. 

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

10 minutes ago, Link said:

… it’s just kinda rare and expensive and fragile. I’d say the same (literally have never even seen a Saturn irl.) Nothing to do with brand loyalty for me. I’m all in on a Day 1 Vote: OptOut though. 

Well, we're getting into the tangent weeds, but this is an old game debate, but for me I was always fascinated by the Saturn, even as a kid.  Because I was the nerd that registered all of my Game Gear games, I was on Sega's mailing list and I actually got one of those Saturn promo VHS tapes in the mail and to this day is one of about 3 items from my gaming childhood I still own.

Anyway, I was hyped for it but then it came out... and there were no games for it.  I had one friend who had one and it was because his Dad bought it for him on launch day and I think he had 3 games for it.  I don't think we every played it either.

So, I had an interest in it when I started collecting but I doubt I would have jumped at all if it wasn't that buy chance I found a CIB Saturn at my local Salvation Army for $20.  This was in 2017, I think and even back then that was a steal.  They had a couple of games with it too, so I walked away with a system, controller Madden, Ghen War and one other game, but I can't recall.  It was enough to make me want to collect it since I was fascinated as kid.

But you are 100% correct about the price.  It's expensive and games are fragile.  That said, I'm not worried about playing the cheapest games and, one day, I want to get an ODE.  It's one of few systems where I'll happily swap out hearing the buzz of drive-reads to save on wear-and-tear of both the device and the CDs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RH said:

So, I had an interest in it when I started collecting but I doubt I would have jumped at all if it wasn't that buy chance I found a CIB Saturn at my local Salvation Army for $20. 

Yeah so that’s an extremely specific experience that nobody else can be expected to have. 

I’ve heard of it and I’m interested in playing this game I never have before 😱 but first I need to set up some kind of project (Retro Pi)