IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - 1943

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Welcome abord, fellow aviators. You have quite the mission for this week!

You will have to prove your skills and your mettle at 1943!

The rules are as follow:

• Play until Game Over
  • Take your picture on the Game Over screen
  • If you have to re-start a level or boss because you did not destroy enough enemies, that counts as a Game Over.  At this point, you must stop playing and take your picture.  Anyone suspected of playing more of the game in the event you have to re-start a level or boss will have their score disqualified.
  • Highest score wins
  • GENRE: Shooter/Shoot ‘Em Up

The contest ends Sunday, 05/28/23 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
1st docile tapeworm 2,351,600
2nd Bearcat-Doug 2,206,500
3rd Dr. Morbis 1,502,100
4th mbd39 1,358,700
5th JamesRobot 928,900
6th Gloves 810,500
7th Richardhead 709,400
8th NESfiend 701,200
9th PII 117,100
10th RH 111,200
11th G-type 110,600
12th SuperJimtendo 106,300
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Good luck all! We'll see if I'm able to participate in this one. 

I managed 1.3 million which is probably all that I'm going to have time for. That's pretty close to my personal best, so I'm satisfied with it even though it may not even be good enough for a top 5 score.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I managed 1.3 million which is probably all that I'm going to have time for. That's pretty close to my personal best, so I'm satisfied with it even though it may not even be good enough for a top 5 score.

It'll depend on how many shooter pros come of the woodwork and whether Gloves plays. I have a PB of near 1,400,000 that I got last year, but for now I'll be happy to break a million. It's a tough game.

22 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It'll depend on how many shooter pros come of the woodwork and whether Gloves plays. I have a PB of near 1,400,000 that I got last year, but for now I'll be happy to break a million. It's a tough game.

I had 1.45 million in 2016 and I think that was just good enough for 5th place. Back in 2013, two people cleared the game and Tom made it all the way to the final battleship.

Administrator · Posted
41 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

1LC or bust

I don't remember if this game keeps progress after death, nor do I recall if there are bonus points for lives remaining etc.. Would it make sense to burn remaining lives for points, versus a 1lc?

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I don't remember if this game keeps progress after death, nor do I recall if there are bonus points for lives remaining etc.. Would it make sense to burn remaining lives for points, versus a 1lc?

You only get one life. So a 1CC is also a 1LC in this case.

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I finally broke 1.5 million, but I still don't know if that will be enough to make the top 5.

Look at the top 5 from 2016, one of the most competitive years in the history of the contests. Fourth place is around that.  https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewd7f2.html?catid=31&threadid=159557

Your score will likely podium.

• Like 1