IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - 1943

BeaIank

That old na thread days I got nearly 150k playing this.... That's a god Damn lie. No way I did that.

I had second place in adventure island 2 in 2016 then 3rd in Felix the cat in 2017. 2017 had something else happen though but we don't talk about that anymore 😝

Might put in a few more runs tonight 

Edited by SuperJimtendo
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Finally got a chance to play some more and still suck. But I did locate a cow. So thats something. 2 games and my thumb is destroyed. I wont contend this week, but I will beat that goddamn level 3 boss

I hate to tell you, but there are two even more difficult versions of the Ayoko I. The Mission 9 boss is the Ayoko II and the Mission 14 boss is the Ayoko III. Then the Ayoko I comes back for Mission 18 and the Ayoko II returns for Mission 20. If you make it to the end of Mission 23, you have to fight all three of them in a row before you make it to the final mission, which may be one of the hardest stages in any NES game since the final boss is a gauntlet of every battleship from the previous missions. You will be lucky if you can even feel your thumbs if you're able to beat the game in one sitting.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

Administrator · Posted

I'm not sure that I can actually make it to the end. Something about the site I'm playing on, it gets laggier and laggier over time to the point its unplayable. Like literally I'll press a button to move and it doesn't move for a whole ass second. 

21 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I feel like I’ll be lucky to hit the 2 million mark. I remember now how difficult it was.

I finally did it and ended up with 2.2 million. I was hoping I could beat the game, but those last few missions are just too tough when you get low on energy.

• Wow! 2

34 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I finally did it and ended up with 2.2 million. I was hoping I could beat the game, but those last few missions are just too tough when you get low on energy.

What weapons are you using? I mostly stick to upgraded shotgun but also experimenting with the 3 way spread shot.

I've been having a hard time getting out of stage 10 this week. Still hoping to crack a million because I've done it before.

32 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

What weapons are you using? I mostly stick to upgraded shotgun but also experimenting with the 3 way spread shot.

I've been having a hard time getting out of stage 10 this week. Still hoping to crack a million because I've done it before.

I use the upgraded shotgun most of the time too since it's the only weapon that can take out enemy fire when you need to go on the defensive. It just seems too weak on the later levels if you're going for points. I switched to the laser at the end because I was low on energy and just wanted to mow down whatever I could for the extra points since I knew I wasn't clearing the level.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm not sure that I can actually make it to the end. Something about the site I'm playing on, it gets laggier and laggier over time to the point its unplayable. Like literally I'll press a button to move and it doesn't move for a whole ass second. 

I’ve only managed 800k so far. I’m hoping to get some time in tonight/tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Thanks buddy! Hopefully I'll 1LC this one day, but those last two missions are way too tough when you start them with no special weapon and low on energy.

I remember thinking it was insane. I think I could make it to the last battle ship in the gauntlet but never could 1LC

15 hours ago, Gloves said:

Well if you still manage to beat me I won’t be surprised 😂

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Great score! That's close to your personal best, right?

Yeah. My PB is 1,393k. I reached level 15 in my PB run. This time I died in 13 so I could've done better.

I didn't upgrade beyond shotgun. Maybe I should've switched to a more powerful weapon by that point.

Do you get 100% on Ayako II? I've only been able to get it on Ayako I. Getting 100% on mission 11 might also be impossible.

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah. My PB is 1,393k. I reached level 15 in my PB run. This time I died in 13 so I could've done better.

I didn't upgrade beyond shotgun. Maybe I should've switched to a more powerful weapon by that point.

Do you get 100% on Ayako II? I've only been able to get it on Ayako I. Getting 100% on mission 11 might also be impossible.

I can only get in the low 90%s against the Ayoko II and on Mission 11. That's the one that confuses me since I know I've shot down all of the larger planes, but I still end up with 93% or something. I don't know if you need to hit all of the small planes too or what to get 100%.