IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - 1943

BeaIank

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I can only get in the low 90%s against the Ayoko II and on Mission 11. That's the one that confuses me since I know I've shot down all of the larger planes, but I still end up with 93% or something. I don't know if you need to hit all of the small planes too or what to get 100%.

Looking forward to Palamedes tomorrow? This has been one of the more fun batch of games that I can remember. No awful karate games.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

My 4th place 701k score from 2016 would have gotten me 7th. I usually skip puzzle weeks, but I'll probably get a few games in and at least try to beat it again.

27 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I played a few games and the best I did was 10 perfect stages in a row. I guess I need some practice.

My guess is we're gonna play on level 5 difficulty so try that. I've only been able to get 7 perfects with practice.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@Gloves well brother how are the calculations going. 

Like I say, can't play anymore. The game becomes unplayable about halfway through. Besides that, still in vacation mode, spent today at the beach. 

The score I've already posted is my score. I could easily do far better on real hardware, but as it is the score I've put up is the literary best I could possibly do. 

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

Morphius you having a good time with 1943?

I don't have time to do many runs when it's a play-till-game-over on a long game, but I'll give it a good two or three runs.  Honestly, I think it should've been best score on Stage 1 or something like that, then you could look for secrets and try to really perfect your run without missing any enemies and whatnot; I mean, how long does it take to clear this game without continuing?  Is it like hours?  Or even getting a decent score in the millions half way through the game - how long will that take?

Anyway, like I said, I'll give 'er a couple of runs and see what I get...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Like I say, can't play anymore. The game becomes unplayable about halfway through. Besides that, still in vacation mode, spent today at the beach. 

The score I've already posted is my score. I could easily do far better on real hardware, but as it is the score I've put up is the literary best I could possibly do. 

Well….your gonna destroy me during legendary wings if that is any consolation 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't have time to do many runs when it's a play-till-game-over on a long game, but I'll give it a good two or three runs.  Honestly, I think it should've been best score on Stage 1 or something like that, then you could look for secrets and try to really perfect your run without missing any enemies and whatnot; I mean, how long does it take to clear this game without continuing?  Is it like hours?  Or even getting a decent score in the millions half way through the game - how long will that take?

Anyway, like I said, I'll give 'er a couple of runs and see what I get...

A full 1cc playthrough is roughly an hour and a half from what I can see. Maybe about an hour and 20 minutes if you're good. The WR is an hour and 16 minutes, although there's only one entry on the leaderboard.

There's 24 stages and the game gets decently hard by stage 9 so most players never come close to a 1cc. Even the stage 3 boss gives a lot of people trouble.

My run reached stage 13.

Edited by mbd39

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I wonder if LW will be low score like last time. It's more fun to play for high score.

I lost to bert last time we played. It was a drag playing for low score….it’s such a broken game though. And the gameplay feels cheap. Not like unfair deaths cheap just like quick cash production cheap.

Its got a cool theme and nice graphics if nothing else.

2 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

I lost to bert last time we played. It was a drag playing for low score….it’s such a broken game though. And the gameplay feels cheap. Not like unfair deaths cheap just like quick cash production cheap.

Its got a cool theme and nice graphics if nothing else.

I'm not going to complain about "unfair deaths" in a game where I've successfully no-deathed two loops and I suck at shooters.

12 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Other than getting stuck on walls sometimes.

The game's main issue is repetitive boss fights. They could've come up with some more bosses.

I’m not a fan of big sprites specifically in shooters…. Just not a fan.

edit: that was a lie…..

Edited by docile tapeworm

Dude. Got passed level 3 boss. Improved strategy on power ups. Once you have special weapon timer jacked up, it totally changes the game. Got to level 7. I probably don't get any points this week, but I have always thought this game was really cool, but couldnt get it. I feel like like I get it now and its even better than I thought - great game choice!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1943 is really deep for a shooter because of the powerup system. There are so many different ways to play, depending on how you upgrade and which powerups you use. The shooting action is good too. I love it.

Edited by mbd39

One thing I do kind of dislike is having to cycle between the different items/weapons. There is a definite benefit to weapon upgrades but the cycling is annoying in the heat of combat and you can accidentally pick up the wrong upgrade. I usually stick to shotgun.