IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - 1943

BeaIank

6 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

In hindsight, this could have benefitted from highest score at the end of stage 3, but it is a fun game so I thought it would be good to allow a full run.

I won't make this mistake with Legendary Wings.

Honestly I was expecting you to give us a password to start fully upgraded at mission 23 and have at it.

23 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

In hindsight, this could have benefitted from highest score at the end of stage 3, but it is a fun game so I thought it would be good to allow a full run.

Pish posh. @mbd39 was right. This is a game worth trying to go as far as you can. We can have an occasional week with a longer ruleset for games of this quality 

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

36 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Pish posh. @mbd39 was right. This is a game worth trying to go as far as you can. We can have an occasional week with a longer ruleset for games of this quality 

I’m with going for full runs on this one. 1943 is a Great game.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

1943 is really deep for a shooter because of the powerup system. There are so many different ways to play, depending on how you upgrade and which powerups you use. The shooting action is good too. I love it.

I always have to remind myself to use the lightning instead of dying I wish it was a bomb instead.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

One thing I do kind of dislike is having to cycle between the different items/weapons. There is a definite benefit to weapon upgrades but the cycling is annoying in the heat of combat and you can accidentally pick up the wrong upgrade. I usually stick to shotgun.

I used shotgun to pull that 2 mill last time. This round I’m flying with the spread shot.

My son was about to go to bed and saw me playing 1943. In little kid terms, he asked if we could play a co-op shooter tomorrow. Any suggestions? The more I can carry it and keep him alive, the better. He is 4, so if he has to avoid running into stationary things, even if they are obvious, it won't last long. 

11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

My son was about to go to bed and saw me playing 1943. In little kid terms, he asked if we could play a co-op shooter tomorrow. Any suggestions? The more I can carry it and keep him alive, the better. He is 4, so if he has to avoid running into stationary things, even if they are obvious, it won't last long. 

Life Force with the Konami code is just the thing, if you're playing on NES.

EDIT: Oh, if he's only 4 then that might still be too hard. I'm not sure.

Edited by mbd39

33 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Yeah, its tough. We beat TMNT turtles in time today on easy. But he isnt even playing a lot of the time. I need something where he can just float along and I can do the work

22 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Yeah, its tough. We beat TMNT turtles in time today on easy. But he isnt even playing a lot of the time. I need something where he can just float along and I can do the work

Legendary Wings is actually a super easy co-op shmup that you would probably be able to kill the large majority of enemies before they got to him.  Bosses might be a bit tricky for him though...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

I’m with going for full runs on this one. 1943 is a Great game.

Same here. Not many people are going to make it far enough to get an hour long run in. Speaking of long runs, how are you doing? I haven't played since I hit the 2.2 million and I'm done for this week, so if you beat my score, you might as well post it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I was going to suggest the same thing with Contra, but I hate playing with someone else because they can't ever keep up, which makes it harder for me having to wait since I can't move forward when they get too far behind.

5 hours ago, NESfiend said:

If you beat Turtles in Time, you could try Final Fight 2 or 3 on easy. I think you said you like Knight of the Round so there's another one. I'm guessing any beat em up with an easy setting would work really.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Guerrilla War. You start exactly where you died and there's infinite continues. It's perfect.

• Agree 1

On 5/21/2023 at 2:55 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had 1.45 million in 2016 and I think that was just good enough for 5th place. Back in 2013, two people cleared the game and Tom made it all the way to the final battleship.

It looks like you're winning this week unless skinny can pull off a huge score.

28 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

It looks like you're winning this week unless skinny can pull off a huge score.

22 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wouldn't rule it out. The fact that he hasn't posted anything makes me wonder if he's got mine beat and doesn't want me trying again.

4693787B-35EC-4357-B60D-16FC97AA54A5.gif.8a1ae81a4fbdc733f860d478e00334a4.gif

Edited by docile tapeworm