IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - 1943

BeaIank

My score would've got 5th in the 2016 contest so I'm happy. This is one of those games I'd love to 1cc someday but it's brutal. I've never even completed it with passwords. Furthest I got was mission 22.

https://archive.nes.science/nintendoage-forums/nintendoage.com/forum/messageviewd7f2.html?catid=31&threadid=159557

40 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@mbd39 didn’t we play this again after that I thought I remembered @BeaIank and somebody else going 1LC on it

They were both still about 100k short of JD's Twin Galaxies record. It's crazy to think that he passed around 10 years ago and he still holds the 1943 and NES Donkey Kong high score records. I remember talking with him during the 1943 weekly contest back in 2012 and I didn't get the chance to post a score. He was a good guy, so hopefully I can win this one for him.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They were both still about 100k short of JD's Twin Galaxies record. It's crazy to think that he passed around 10 years ago and he still holds the 1943 and NES Donkey Kong high score records. I remember talking with him during the 1943 weekly contest back in 2012 and I didn't get the chance to post a score. He was a good guy, so hopefully I can win this one for him.

Ya I remember bimmy ran one in honor of him. I only joined in 2015 or 14.

8 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Haha! And you wanted to run 3 stages

Pssh

No, I wanted to run ONE stage 😛  And I still prefer shorter rule sets, regardless of how awesome a game is.  If 1943 had shorter rules, I'd really give'er and see how high I could score, but since it's like one hour per run, I'll have time for maybe two more runs today before the deadline...

• Like 1

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

Great job! Were you close to clearing the game?

I think that was second to last stage.

I been getting close I made it to the last stage after some continues. And ended up clearing it but holy shit that last stage. It takes some maping and luck for me to get through it.

1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

I think that was second to last stage.

I been getting close I made it to the last stage after some continues. And ended up clearing it but holy shit that last stage. It takes some maping and luck for me to get through it.

I went ahead and finished the game too after my run. That last mission is ridiculously tough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Looks like 4th place for me. I'm okay with that.

I can't complain about finishing 2nd when my score would have just missed 3rd place in 2016 and not even come close to a win against those tournament scores. I would've liked to have gotten my third overall shooter contest win, but @docile tapeworm was just the better player this week.