IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

15 hours ago, Divingninja said:

I think they need picture proof to add ya.

I was added on the NA thread without needing a pic, but I understand the desire to need proof.

I've currently got Silent Service and Alpha Mission 5-screw, but since I'm actively hunting down the last six 5-screws I need, I'll wait until I have most of them and then take a single pic of them all at once...

6 hours ago, Romarqable said:

20201226_182737.thumb.jpg.7a1901f3e66df2160eb7d791f17e0aea.jpg

I'd like to add it as 1x Donkey Kong CIB and 1x Donkey Kong cart only

Also like to add Super Mario Bros 3 Sideways taped Challenge Set 1x. 

Care to share the date code on the top right flap of the SMB 3?

Ive got zero data on this variant and it’d help save me the time to track this box down myself.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:33 PM, ThePhleo said:

Care to share the date code on the top right flap of the SMB 3?

Ive got zero data on this variant and it’d help save me the time to track this box down myself.

BLUF: You may have a majority of similar variants in the challenge set Mario 3 boxes but there is no guarantee on version or date codes. There may be several different ones that came with this set.

These all came from inside the NES Challenge Set console box. Like other consoles boxed with games in the early days, (i.e. Deluxe editions) the whole boxed game was included and the challenge set sticker was just slapped on in.

So the result is that multiple date codes of Mario brothers will have come in the challenge set. It was literally whatever boxed stock they had lying around. You may have different ones coming from different packaging facilities.  There would also be very little trust in the concurrence of the inserts even though by the time Super Mario 3 came along Nintendo had gotten better about this. 

Someone is selling a 5 screw Mega Man on eBay right now. No one bought it at 7k. Its at 6500 right now. I really want one but am no where near this price.  Someone will eventually pay for it. I hope to find mine in the wild one day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Screw-Mega-Man-1-NES-Nintendo-5-Screw-Variant-w-Non-Rev-Manual-Authentic/303709767067?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

2 minutes ago, Stormarov.45 said:

BLUF: You may have a majority of similar variants in the challenge set Mario 3 boxes but there is no guarantee on version or date codes. There may be several different ones that came with this set.

These all came from inside the NES Challenge Set console box. Like other consoles boxed with games in the early days, (i.e. Deluxe editions) the whole boxed game was included and the challenge set sticker was just slapped on in.

So the result is that multiple date codes of Mario brothers will have come in the challenge set. It was literally whatever boxed stock they had lying around. You may have different ones coming from different packaging facilities.  There would also be very little trust in the concurrence of the inserts even though by the time Super Mario 3 came along Nintendo had gotten better about this. 

Was there a challenge set that came without a “boxed” Mario 3 and just had the cart and manual?

I have a Mario 3 manual I suspect would have gone inside without a 5 digit code on it.

1 hour ago, Stormarov.45 said:

It’s nice to document these thing as unexpected patterns emerge the more data is collected.

People used to brush off those flap codes as irrelevant information until @0xDEAFC0DE figured out that they were date stamps when I pointed out that manuals have them as well in the bottom right corner of the last page only typically a few digits off. Not sure if it’s correlated to me pointing it out or coinciding events.

Together we all discovered they started this around October 1987.

Now there’s people out there documenting the Famicom date codes, and PAL stuff and finding NES games printed all the way up to the US launch of the N64!

Information matters, no matter how useless it might seem at first. It can cause a complete paradigm shift in the way people enjoy the hobby when enough is collected and freely shared!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

It’s nice to document these thing as unexpected patterns emerge the more data is collected.

People used to brush off those flap codes as irrelevant information until @0xDEAFC0DE figured out that they were date stamps when I pointed out that manuals have them as well in the bottom right corner of the last page only typically a few digits off. Not sure if it’s correlated to me pointing it out or coinciding events.

Now there’s people out there documenting the Famicom date codes, and PAL stuff and finding NES games printed all the way up to the US launch of the N64!

Information matters, no matter how useless it might seem at first. It can cause a complete paradigm shift in the way people enjoy the hobby when enough is collected and freely shared!

I’m one of those people who originally brushed off that 5 digit code as something I wasn’t going to collect variant wise- not knowing, but assuming it was just like a production factory number or something. But now that we know it is a date code and matches a manual I get to extend the variant hunt on NES and now have more to collect! 🙂

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

I was merely saying that you can't stop at one. 

10 hours ago, Divingninja said:

Was there a challenge set that came without a “boxed” Mario 3 and just had the cart and manual?

I have a Mario 3 manual I suspect would have gone inside without a 5 digit code on it.

I have no idea. I assumed all of the challenge sets had the box. However there are other console variants that depict a Super Mario Bros black box but never came with that box. 

The clue to this would be the console styrofoam insert I'd think. 

Edited by Stormarov.45

I'm probably going to end up making a topic about it, but I collect system box variants and the Challenge set out of all US NES console boxes had the most variants. There's a total of 24 system box variants that I know of, if you include the Sharp NES TV, 23 without. There were a total of 6 Challenge Set variants, of which two showed only the cart on the front.

That leads me to believe they likely packed in with just the cart and manual at some point before switching to boxed copies or they switched to cart only to save on having to pack in the game boxes.

Truly interesting stuff if you ask me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Romarqable said:

I'm probably going to end up making a topic about it, but I collect system box variants and the Challenge set out of all US NES console boxes had the most variants. There's a total of 24 system box variants that I know of, if you include the Sharp NES TV, 23 without. There were a total of 6 Challenge Set variants, of which two showed only the cart on the front.

That leads me to believe they likely packed in with just the cart and manual at some point before switching to boxed copies or they switched to cart only to save on having to pack in the game boxes.

Truly interesting stuff if you ask me. 

Would love to see your list! I too collect system box variants. 🙂

17 hours ago, Romarqable said:

Those that showed the game box on the front also only had the cart in the console box. The only ones I can find that came with the full game box was the Deluxe sets (test market set included)

4 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

Those that showed the game box on the front also only had the cart in the console box. The only ones I can find that came with the full game box was the Deluxe sets (test market set included)

I'm sure you're aware that the original release of the Challenge set came with a CIB SMB3 wrapped in Cellophane that said, "Included with Challenge Set. Not for Resale."

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted

I love the idea of finding variants of carts that are minor or contain an error.  How do I find out what is "normal" to start looking for variants or errors?

I need to come up with a cool little tag/icon to put in my photos

Wizards & Warriors (5-screw)

Spoiler

ACtC-3c0CNJnJ5TXEGa6BbSV3sSKwJ6gRDfTyrXN

ACtC-3dNOYfrzs7zzG-cHAgahnIuFYNGOK0lBUQo

ACtC-3cgVgdeBtaShHb3lEqiA8l2DYqDyrLmGOTo

ACtC-3ccGgklRSeJ_1HrGuLjvITY3FwYbs72YaXz

Mega Man 4 (label placement error)

Spoiler

ACtC-3fxC8WUMbasFrDq2H9kUsYllKOyZ8BCp2UN

ACtC-3eb_7sIpL1BdOc8Ws4ZV0O5t4c4HawTcp5y

ACtC-3e5FXVCE4r4kGV-C9tpG8QHmviMeFUet7d6