IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

@guitarzombie  There are current known copies of:

5-Screw Bill Elliott's Nascar Challenge

Mission Impossible.

On Nintendo Age there was a user called "NES GANGSTA" who had a copy of 5-screw Top Gun 2nd Mission (I have a photo of that handy if anyone is curious.)

Also on NA there was purported to exist, a copy of 5-Screw Castlevania III, however there were never any pics...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PII said:

Mission Impossible.

On Nintendo Age there was a user called "NES GANGSTA" who had a copy of 5-screw Top Gun 2nd Mission (I have a photo of that handy if anyone is curious.)

Also on NA there was purported to exist, a copy of 5-Screw Castlevania III, however there were never any pics...

Thanks for the update.  Ill add it!  I made this list a while ago so im sure more crept in without me knowing about it.

31 minutes ago, PII said:

Mission Impossible.

Any photos of those two?

If they aren’t on my Konami Myster 5-Screw Variant List id like to add them, but I need a little proof!

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Im not totally discounting your idea.  Its the more probable one than anything else.  So when a game goes bad, who were you to contact, Nintendo?  Then they'd ship the game to the publisher/developer?  Your theory can hold weight, but i'm trying to figure out where there would be a 5 screw TMNT 2 cart then? Everything inside and outside of it is 100% Nintendo 'branded', like all the other licensed Nintendo carts, as opposed to Silent Service, which was put together by Konami/Ultra.

No, each publisher was charged with handling its own warranties on its products.  So, in your example, if you read the first inside page of a TMNT 2 manual, it details how Ultra will accept returns of defective merchandise at their "Factory Service Center."  If that's where Konami/Ultra games were reconditioned/refurbished/repaired, AND if that's where they kept a whole bunch of 5 screw casings around to be used as required, well then what sort of conclusion can we draw.....?

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

No, each publisher was charged with handling its own warranties on its products.  So, in your example, if you read the first inside page of a TMNT 2 manual, it details how Ultra will accept returns of defective merchandise at their "Factory Service Center."  If that's where Konami/Ultra games were reconditioned/refurbished/repaired, AND if that's where they kept a whole bunch of 5 screw casings around to be used as required, well then what sort of conclusion can we draw.....?

That's certainly a strong case

38 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

No they weren't, they were only like this on 5 screws.

I’ve definitely had a five screw that had a label that the top wasn’t on the front of the cart. Found after one search on eBay and there’s multiple of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castlevania-1-Nintendo-NES-Clean-Tested-Working-Seal-5-Screw/143830658144?hash=item217cf9ac60:g:NRQAAOSwSpNfqCvn

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Goodvibes said:

I’ve definitely had a five screw that had a label that the top wasn’t on the front of the cart. Found after one search on eBay and there’s multiple of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Castlevania-1-Nintendo-NES-Clean-Tested-Working-Seal-5-Screw/143830658144?hash=item217cf9ac60:g:NRQAAOSwSpNfqCvn

Yeah, guess I'm confused. These are the only ones I see anywhere for 5 screw even, but haven't dug that deep

On 11/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, PII said:

Castlevania III 5-Screw was purportedly owned by someone called: "Armageddon Potato"

Someone sent me a picture of their Castlevania III 5 screw, responding to my WTB Post about 2 yrs ago, maybe it was "Armegeddon Potato".  Either way, the game was not even close to being a legit 5 Screw.  It appeared someone tried to remove a real label and paste it on a 5 screw cart.  It was rough around the edges, very crooked and glue residue everywhere.  I will try to dig up the pictures.  Its nearly impossible to remove an NES label intact - even one that is starting to peel. 

• 3 weeks later...