IGNORED

About the Explanation of Development Authorization for Star Keeper Branch Version

zxdplay

2 hours ago, zxdplay said:

@Seth

The original intention of NFT was to help game developers reduce costs, shorten development time, and bring more games to players.

Since most of the speakers present are against the NFT proposal,I will not bring up any topics related to NFT on the VGS forum in the future.

Out of curiosity, since there is such a hot market for Star Keeper IP and a huge demand for a “branch” game, how many NFTs have sold? Have you had to mint more to keep up with demand?

Edited by a3quit4s

I didn't realize it was for spin-off games on other platforms (I don't remember anyone mentioning that, and didn't notice it myself when reading the contract originally, which seemed weird). Did that change, or has it always been like that?

4 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

Yep, looks that way. I seen that also... Thats a bit of a downer IMO

BTW Matt.  I loved Witch N Wiz!  Keep up the great work! 

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, matthughson said:

Did that change, or has it always been like that?

I'm positive the license always stated that about the spin-off branch games for other systems. Atleast when I first read it awhile ago.  I'm not specifically sure why he chose this route when writing up the license.  But the Mainline games would be his creations and they would be on the NES platform I assume...

Edited by RetroX85
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

But the Mainline games would be his creations and they would be on the NES platform I assume...

That's the only reason I can think of. He wants to create more NES games.

The flaw is that I can't see any other platform being viable for Star Keeper IP. It's too simple a general concept to make anything for later consoles, and the character sprites aren't iconic or attractive enough for a developer to make a more complex game on those consoles. It's best suited for the NES.

Edited by Tulpa

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

That's the only reason I can think of. He wants to create more NES games.

I agree that he wants to continue Star Keeper on the NES. The idea of spin-off games on other consoles will promote the Mainline games (also as a source of income while the IP is expanding).  I'm not sure if there is any developers who will take on this NFT opportunity.  

I would no doubt pitch in for crowdfunding a mainline sequel of Star Keeper on the NES regardless. 

Edited by RetroX85

2 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

I'm not sure if there any any developers who will take on this NFT opportunity.   

I can tell you right now, there aren't any.

2 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

I would no doubt pitch in for crowdfunding for a mainline sequel of Star Keeper on the NES regardless. 

That's a much better approach, if there's an effective, safe one for use in China. Or a middleman.

6 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I can tell you right now, there aren't any.

That's a much better approach, if there's an effective, safe one for use in China. Or a middleman.

Especially not for non-NES. Outside of atari, which would be too primitive IMO, what was he thinking the best release venue would be? Famicom? PC? 16 bit seems like it would be too much work. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Especially not for non-NES. Outside of atari, which would be too primitive IMO, what was he thinking the best release venue would be? Famicom? PC? 16 bit seems like it would be too much work. 

A SNES version spin off would be pretty cool.  Yeah that would be a lot of work. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

I agree that he wants to continue Star Keeper on the NES.

No, he wants to "protect" the owners of Star Keeper on the NES from losing their "investment."

50 minutes ago, RetroX85 said:

The idea of spin-off games on other consoles will promote the Mainline games (also as a source of income while the IP is expanding).

Oh man, my belly hurts...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted

Ok, IMO, we are done with the off topic shit.  There is not really any point in saying the same things over and over and over again.  It will not change his mind, and he has already said he is working on a release for steam.  Let's just agree to keep our opinions to ourselves from here on out.  I know that is pretty frickin' difficult for some of you, but if you keep at it, maybe he will leave with a big ole' F You!  

Seriously chill the F out.  We all know how you all feel, in just about every post you make...........

• Agree 2

As someone who has purchased over 100 homebrew games, probably less than 10 have not been NES games. NES and Gameboy are really the only 2 platforms I'm interested even though they're some of my smallest overall libraries. I just feel the Homebrew format fits best on limited systems like those. 

I'm all for games on steam but trying to get a successful indie off in today's environment is an absolute moon shot. I played Star Keeper for hours and hours. It's a good game. But it is nothing compared to Celest, Axiom Verge, Hollow knight, etc. I'd like to see where a reimagined Star Keeper can get to but again, successful indies are moon shots these days. Very low probability of getting any real player base especially if you're not taking the rounds to conventions in the US to show it off. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matthughson said:

I didn't realize it was for spin-off games on other platforms (I don't remember anyone mentioning that, and didn't notice it myself when reading the contract originally, which seemed weird). Did that change, or has it always been like that?

Thanks!

Slways. I've mentioned it and I'm pretty sure others have as well. 

• Thanks 1

I thought he said Famicom was fair game? There's the obvious answer then. Or one could do a Famicom game bundled onto a nes / FC emulator for GBA. Or what about a FDS version? I'd personally love to see a Super A'Can homebrew, and this might be just the right game.