IGNORED

About the Explanation of Development Authorization for Star Keeper Branch Version

zxdplay

Administrator · Posted
Just now, fcgamer said:

Okay, once and for all, I don't want people playing roms of my games, whether on a flash cart, emulator, or whatever. Make a bootleg cart, I won't take as much of an issue. Is that clear?

That's really really specific lol.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I have two flash carts, never use them as I prefer real carts. Emulation and roms on SD cards suck.

ROMs on SD cards perform exactly the same on real hardware as dedicated carts. It's not even emulation.

I mean, I get the preference for having a dedicated cart for your own personal enjoyment, but there's no technical reason to oppose a flash cart.

Once your ROM is out there, it's out there. Might as well bitch about the weather or something else out of your control.

297.png

Edited by Tulpa

5 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Im glad we are talking about this now, since it looks like zxdplay is scared off now and his thread has thoroughly be derailed.

Probably for the best. The NFT thing was a non-starter.

Glad to see he might have some inroads in a PC port, though not expecting a top Steam seller or anything.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Probably for the best. The NFT thing was a non-starter.

Glad to see he might have some inroads in a PC port, though not expecting a top Steam seller or anything.

If he releases limited amounts maybe it'll blow up in demand. The only demand for the NES version is because people can't play it. 

Edit: Also the gaming experience that the developers had in mind also changes.

Edited by fcgamer

In defense of Star Keeper (since that's the topic of this thread): I think it's a very fun game. It's not the best homebrew I own, probably not even in the top 5, but I think in my top 10. I'm not a prolific homebrew player, but I've played a decent number.

It might be more interesting to compare it to other OG NES games, and in that arena I think it's a top ~10% game, or thereabouts. There are certainly plenty of more interesting, varied, or polished games, but there are a TON of games worse than it, which is a good sign. Considering that it was made by a single person and basically every retail NES game was made by a company/team, it's definitely an exceptional piece of work.

That said, I also agree with other recent posts: a lot of the reason people want to play it is because they can't. If it were available for purchase on INL website I don't think it would sell out or anything, but it would still be on people's "must play" or "hidden gem" videos or whatever on YouTube

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

ROMs on SD cards perform exactly the same on real hardware as dedicated carts. It's not even emulation.

This is correct; however, in similar nature to running games off multicarts, the playing habits of the gamer change, something one doesn't have when playing off a single cartridge. 

11 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

If he releases limited amounts maybe it'll blow up in demand.

For a PC download? Probably not. It'd be hard to limit that in the first place, and PC games aren't like NES games. NES games have a smaller fanbase that wants games on physical media. PC gamers aren't of that ilk, at least not for a game like this.

Edited by Tulpa

3 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

This is correct; however, in similar nature to running games off multicarts, the playing habits of the gamer change, something one doesn't have when playing off a single cartridge. 

I don't think that's necessarily true of everyone. I mean, it's slightly more convenient to reset the console than to spend ten extra seconds swapping cartridges, but I don't see that affecting EVERYONE the same.

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

I don't think that's necessarily true of everyone. I mean, it's slightly more convenient to reset the console than to spend ten extra seconds swapping cartridges, but I don't see that affecting EVERYONE the same.

It definitely changes playing habits.

12 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

It definitely changes playing habits.

Like what?

If a game is engrossing, they're likely to keep playing whether it's on a multicart, flashcart, or a single cart. If a game isn't that interesting, someone is likely to pop it out and get another, or reset and pick another.

I don't see how a multicart/flashcart greatly effects everyone.

If you've observed it for your own playing, that's one thing, but unless you can cite evidence, I don't see how you can say it applies to everyone.

33 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Like what?

If a game is engrossing, they're likely to keep playing whether it's on a multicart, flashcart, or a single cart. If a game isn't that interesting, someone is likely to pop it out and get another, or reset and pick another.

I don't see how a multicart/flashcart greatly effects everyone.

If you've observed it for your own playing, that's one thing, but unless you can cite evidence, I don't see how you can say it applies to everyone.

I am not going to dig up sources as I'm at work and have just read about the issue in passing; however this does change playing patterns, music falls into a similar category / situation. 

37 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If a game is engrossing, they're likely to keep playing whether it's on a multicart, flashcart, or a single cart. If a game isn't that interesting, someone is likely to pop it out and get another, or reset and pick another

Unless you cite evidence, I don't think this is a statement that can be made. It may refer to your personal gaming style, but that doesn't mean that it applies to others. 

I think the biggest shitstorm happened here on the NFT idea because a lot of people speculate NFT=scam and maybe that's for a good reason. There was another thread that wanted to initiate an NFT discussion and it was deleted right away. Maybe this is a good idea to temporary or permanently create a rule to never talk about NFTs on this forum to prevent this from happening again?

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Unless you cite evidence, I don't think this is a statement that can be made. It may refer to your personal gaming style, but that doesn't mean that it applies to others. 

My evidence is people playing their games to completion vs not playing them to completion, many using flashcarts and many using single carts. You can read them on this forum.

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

And that would apply whether you're staring at a list of games on a screen or a bunch of cartridges on a shelf. Plus, with a flashcart, you can always just limit the number of games on the SD card if you so desired.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Tulpa said:

My evidence is people playing their games to completion vs not playing them to completion, many using flashcarts and many using single carts. You can read them on this forum.

Well if that's the evidence you're looking for, then with full ROM sets, it's kind of a well known that people load up a game, think "oh this sucks" after ten seconds, then load something else up. It's the same situation with multicarts, flash carts, etc. and it likely goes back to the whole choice thing, whereas with actual single cartridges, if one pulls Mega Man off the shelf it's because he or she or they has made a conscious choice to play that game.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Well if that's the evidence you're looking for, then with full ROM sets, it's kind of a well known that people load up a game, think "oh this sucks" after ten seconds, then load something else up. It's the same situation with multicarts, flash carts, etc. and it likely goes back to the whole choice thing, whereas with actual single cartridges, if one pulls Mega Man off the shelf it's because he or she or they has made a conscious choice to play that game.

Not necessarily. To back up to the menu and load another ROM is not that much less effort than popping out the game and loading another one in. Plus, not everyone loads up full ROM sets. Many curate their ROMs like they would a physical set. And the same paradox of choices applies whether they're on your shelf or on your flashcart. You're still looking and deciding which game to play. And if you've never played Mega Man before, it makes no difference whether it's a name on a screen or a name on your shelf. You're still going in blind either way.

ESPECIALLY in the case of homebrews, that won't be compiled into ROM sets very quickly, since they're coming out at irregular intervals (as opposed to retail back in the day sets that people have had decades to compile and let sit on teh interwebz.) You can do more research on how a homebrew plays before it's ever loaded onto your flashcart.

Very different situation than loading a whole bunch of ROMs at once.

I mean, I kind of get what you're saying, but I think there's way too many factors to apply this as a blanket statement.

It all goes down to how much effort the individual is going to give to give each game a chance.

Edited by Tulpa

8 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Not necessarily. To back up to the menu and load another ROM is not that much less effort than popping out the game and loading another one in. Plus, not everyone loads up full ROM sets. Many curate their ROMs like they would a physical set. And the same paradox of choices applies. I really don't see it as that different.

ESPECIALLY in the case of homebrews, that won't be compiled into ROM sets very quickly, since they're coming out at irregular intervals (as opposed to retail back in the day sets that people have had decades to compile and let sit on teh interwebz.) You can do more research on how a homebrew plays before it's ever loaded onto your flashcart.

Very different situation than loading a whole bunch of ROMs at once (which even then I don't fully agree affects EVERYONE'S playing style.)

Okay I think we can agree to disagree on this one then, as I personally just don't care enough about it to do the proper research to win a debate on a derailed thread 🙂

That being said, I have read similar studies relating to music and listening habits, which would also relate to my thoughts on the matter. 

There's a reason single carts are viewed as greater than flash carts or multicarts, and this sort of aspect I believe is one of them.

Furthermore, it changes the gaming experience. Powering on and loading a ROM from a menu is a different experience than loading a game directly just by powering it up. It's sort of like buying pre chopped veg versus washing and chopping it yourself, there's a difference in the experience overall, even if it is a miniscule one.

Edit: That being said, I am very concerned with how my products are presented, and a ROM format either on a flash cart or emulator takes away from that presentation. 

Edited by fcgamer

• The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 1 month later...

Might as well put my 2 cents in....

I purchased an original copy on NA when it was first available. I thoroughly enjoy the game. It's fun and addictive. I also enjoy the whole story behind it and the fact that it ended up being a pretty sought after item.

That being said, I really don't care about the value of my copy. I won't be selling it for a long time wether it's worth $10,000 or $10. So any kind of reprint to get this game out into the hands of other people who want to play it is doesn't bother me in the least. As far as a rom goes, I'm really not a fan. It's not about value, it's about purity. 

I personally like the LRG idea that's been floated around. It's makes the most sense considering Star Keeper is just one game. The IP doesn't hold any weight yet. The reason why it's expensive is not the IP, it's because it's a hard to obtain and fun game. IPs are built up over time with multiple quality releases.

Ultimately, the decision is at the hands of the creator. I understand wanting to steer him into better ideas but you can't force his hand. If it was my creation I wouldn't want a barrage of people all barking at me telling me that I'm wrong. He can do with his games and IP whatever he sees fit.

The only thing I hope for is that sometime in the near future he makes a sequel.

Anyway, @zxdplay, I love your game. It is truly a work of art. I wish you luck with whatever path you take. You deserve to make some money from your creation and I hope your choices take you there. Thanks for the great game and please make a sequel!

Edited by Darth Vader
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

Anyway, @zxdplay, I love your game. It is truly a work of art. I wish you luck with whatever path you take. You deserve to make some money from your creation and I hope your choices take you there. Thanks for the great game and please make a sequel!

Thank you. I appreciate your support for the game and your recognition of its quality.Due to the limited number of game copies available, many people were unable to play the game, which led to the exorbitant prices. However, this situation will soon be improved as the PC version has been developed. I am currently researching how to upload it to Steam.

Regarding NFTs, in fact, I have already abandoned the NFT licensing plan. As for how to raise funds for the development of the sequel to SK, I will provide detailed explanations in the release post for the PC version.

• Like 6