IGNORED

About the Explanation of Development Authorization for Star Keeper Branch Version

zxdplay

On 3/29/2023 at 7:08 AM, Seth said:

And I say all this as the video game journalist who ranked Star Keeper as one of the best NES homebrews ever, after playing 1,000+ NES homebrews.

What? How could you have played 1000+ homebrews??? Do as many even exist? I don't think I even played 1000 NES games, let alone homebrews alone😂

28 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

What? How could you have played 1000+ homebrews??? Do as many even exist? I don't think I even played 1000 NES games, let alone homebrews alone😂

Lol he may be lumping hacks and homebrews together into one category.  But even then...yeah 1000 Is a bit of a stretch  

Edited by RetroX85

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 4:20 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

He loads up the ROMS on his cell phone and tries them out for a couple of minutes.  Whether or not that should rightly count as "playing" them, I leave up to you...

Sorry... how in the world do you know what I do? I happen to have an AVS and own 200+ homebrews in physical form. Also, I really don't care who reads RETRO or not (about 5,000 people subscribe but I do not hunt for subscribers here), but I literally have listed and ranked 1,300 NES homebrews (with links, with developer names, categorized by genre, with screenshots of many) at that publication, so being told 1,000 NES homebrews don't exist and then having some dude I don't know opine on my NES-playing habits is... like, *wow*. Seriously, what the hell? I've been a video game journalist for years, have taught video games as a college professor, and never rank a game I have not played to a sufficient degree to rank it with professional accuracy. I also, unlike some cowards who take potshots at people pseudonymously, post under my real name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Seth said:

Sorry... how in the world do you know what I do? I happen to have an AVS and own 200+ homebrews in physical form. Also, I really don't care who reads RETRO or not (about 5,000 people subscribe but I do not hunt for subscribers here), but I literally have listed and ranked 1,300 NES homebrews (with links, with developer names, categorized by genre, with screenshots of many) at that publication, so being told 1,000 NES homebrews don't exist and then having some dude I don't know opine on my NES-playing habits is... like, *wow*. Seriously, what the hell? I've been a video game journalist for years, have taught video games as a college professor, and never rank a game I have not played to a sufficient degree to rank it with professional accuracy. I also, unlike some cowards who take potshots at people pseudonymously, post under my real name.

Lol, simmer down tiger. 😛

6 hours ago, Seth said:

Sorry... how in the world do you know what I do?  ....  and then having some dude I don't know opine on my NES-playing habits is... like, *wow*.

I don't give enough of a shit to bother and try and search and see if your original post is still up, but I seem to recall reading in your original homebrew ranking list that one of the qualifications to be listed by you was that the game had to be available on the internet in ROM form so that you could play it on your phone.  If that memory of mine is wrong or incorrect, then I gladly retract my statement, but if that's true, (and in my experience, the more lengths someone goes to in defending themselves, the more guilty they usually are) then I would ask why you even bothered to respond...  ??? 🙂

• Love 1

Only responding here in one long sentence because I was called out and need to respond but also do not want to take the thread further off-topic: for the first edition of the rankings I devised a methodology sui generis, then I asked for input and changed the methodology based on that input as any decent and honorable person who cares about the NES homebrew community would do, so now the review series (which is on Vol. 8 ) has a totally different methodology that reviews ALL NES homebrews (1,350 so far) without any regard whatsoever for physical release format—hence me buying an AVS and hundreds of homebrews at my own expense, and hence the site having a de minimis monthly subscription fee.

OK, going back on the subject of this thread now: I like the idea someone here had of bringing Star Keeper to Famicom, so if the OP would allow that I think it would be great (as long as the branch game permitted can be nearly identical to Star Keeper). I know I would buy that game and I suspect many here would, so perhaps that is a solution to the dilemma posed by this thread.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, Seth said:

Only responding here in one long sentence because I was called out and need to respond but also do not want to take the thread further off-topic: for the first edition of the rankings I devised a methodology sui generis, then I asked for input and changed the methodology based on that input as any decent and honorable person who cares about the NES homebrew community would do, so now the review series (which is on Vol. 8 ) has a totally different methodology that reviews ALL NES homebrews (1,350 so far) without any regard whatsoever for physical release format—hence me buying an AVS and hundreds of homebrews at my own expense, and hence the site having a de minimis monthly subscription fee.

I saw some of the games I made appear on your list in one capacity or another, though you did not purchase any of my homebrew games; however, I am also aware that one Joe G from Massachusetts illegally dumped and distributed basically the whole catalog of games that I had made - therefore, I am extremely interested in seeing what you wrote about the games that I made (or if they're just listed as a name and nothing else) as I am very concerned on the matter of people illegally playing the games that I made.

Back to the Star Keeper discussion for real this time, I am excited to see the screenshot from the PC version. It looks great! I have a deep suspicion that Star Keeper will be receiving even more publicity in the next month or two. 

Edited by fcgamer

On a different note, what makes everyone want to play the original Star Keeper so much? Is it not just Balloon Fight with a twist? Or is everyone just a super huge Balloon Fight fan? Or people just want to play this because they currently can't and it's been hyped? I'm genuinely curious, as I played mine once (so far) and haven't felt the need to pick it up again.

55 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

On a different note, what makes everyone want to play the original Star Keeper so much? Is it not just Balloon Fight with a twist? Or is everyone just a super huge Balloon Fight fan? Or people just want to play this because they currently can't and it's been hyped? I'm genuinely curious, as I played mine once (so far) and haven't felt the need to pick it up again.

The fact that most people don't have access to Star Keeper is exactly what makes it so special; once it's available in ROM form on the net, it will be just like any other homebrew out there and, thus, lose all of its mystique...

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The fact that most people don't have access to Star Keeper is exactly what makes it so special; once it's available in ROM form on the net, it will be just like any other homebrew out there and, thus, lose all of its mystique...

Exactly. That's been my thoughts the whole time.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, fcgamer said:

I am very concerned on the matter of people illegally playing the games that I made.

really don't want to derail the thread, but that's not what you've said in other threads (or even earlier in this one: https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/12024-about-the-explanation-of-development-authorization-for-star-keeper-branch-version/?do=findComment&comment=340824). You made clear that you WANT people to play your game, whether pirated or not, and that you only didn't like them being in the massive ROM dumps because it meant people were unlikely to actually play your game. Please at least try to keep your story straight on this.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

really don't want to derail the thread, but that's not what you've said in other threads (or even earlier in this one: https://www.videogamesage.com/forums/topic/12024-about-the-explanation-of-development-authorization-for-star-keeper-branch-version/?do=findComment&comment=340824). You made clear that you WANT people to play your game, whether pirated or not, and that you only didn't like them being in the massive ROM dumps because it meant people were unlikely to actually play your game. Please at least try to keep your story straight on this.

Okay, once and for all, I don't want people playing roms of my games, whether on a flash cart, emulator, or whatever. Make a bootleg cart, I won't take as much of an issue. Is that clear?

• Like 1