IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2023**

BeaIank

1 hour ago, RH said:

Each year, maybe have 1-2 games like this but don’t lower the bar making every game easy to participate on.  Having a failed week, for me, challenges me to find a bit more time to try to get better.

If that’s the intention, I have no problem either. But if the bar was set thinking “this should be no problem for everyone” well then you overestimate my abilities.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Well shit….. I’m pretty good at spy hunter too. 
I’m not gonna play in advance though. Definitely going to try and learn to like Yo Noid!.

I don't think I'm that good at Spy Hunter and I'd basically have to take the win to beat eight other players. If I hadn't missed Millipede week, I might have been going in with a lead.

Here's my rankings of all the games from this year's contest:

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! A
Mendel Palace A
Super Mario Bros A
Popeye A
Dr. Mario B+
Renegade B+
Millipede B
Palamedes B
Rad Racer B
1943 B
Spy Hunter B
Tiny Toon Adventures B
Solomon's Key C+
Battletoads & Double Dragon C+
Guardian Legends C+
Double Dragon 2 C
Ninja Gaiden 2 C
Isolated Warriors C
Yo! Noid C
Legendary Wings D
Ice Hockey D
Pinball D
Yie-Ar Kung Fu D-
Ski or Die F
Edited by G-type
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, G-type said:

Mendel Palace A
Super Mario Bros A
Popeye A
Dr. Mario B+
Renegade B+
Millipede B
Palamedes B
Rad Racer B
1943 B
Spy Hunter B
Tiny Toon Adventures B
Solomon's Key C+
Guardian Legends C+
Double Dragon 2 C
Ninja Gaiden 2 C
Isolated Warriors C
Yo! Noid C
Legendary Wings D
Ice Hockey D
Yie-Ar Kung Fu D
Pinball D
Ski or Die F

Yie-Ar Kung Fu probably deserves a D- and I was the one that suggested it before the season. I had only played the arcade version and had no idea the Famicom port plays basically like Karate Champ Turbo.

9 hours ago, G-type said:

Mendel Palace A
Super Mario Bros A
Popeye A
Dr. Mario B+
Renegade B+
Millipede B
Palamedes B
Rad Racer B
1943 B
Spy Hunter B
Tiny Toon Adventures B
Solomon's Key C+
Guardian Legends C+
Double Dragon 2 C
Ninja Gaiden 2 C
Isolated Warriors C
Yo! Noid C
Legendary Wings D
Ice Hockey D
Yie-Ar Kung Fu D
Pinball D
Ski or Die F

Renegade graded higher than Double Dragon 2???? Blasphemy. DD2 is at least an A. Ninja Gaiden 2 and Isolated Warrior are A tier as well IMO.

Edited by mbd39

Just now, mbd39 said:

Renegade graded higher than Double Dragon 2???? Blasphemy. DD2 is at least an A. Ninja Gaiden 2 and Isolated Warrior are A tier as well IMO.

I admit my Renegade ranking is illogical. But I just like playing it more. This is based solely on how much I enjoy it... not any objective qualities.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yie-Ar Kung Fu probably deserves a D- and I was the one that suggested it before the season. I had only played the arcade version and had no idea the Famicom port plays basically like Karate Champ Turbo.

The Famicom port is atrocious. And if you're playing an early ROM version you can freeze enemies in place with repeated jump kicks.

Yie Ar Kung Fu was my favorite arcade game when I was a kid.

11 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

The Famicom port is atrocious. And if you're playing an early ROM version you can freeze enemies in place with repeated jump kicks.

Yie Ar Kung Fu was my favorite arcade game when I was a kid.

I played the arcade version almost daily as a kid, but the Famicom version is awful. I've got revision 1.4 which I'm fairly sure is the later one. It's still fairly easy, but the hit detection reminds me of Best of the Best where you can literally punch and kick through your opponent without it registering a hit. I think I can win the beat em up title by just posting a score, so I don't see it being a popular week.

25 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's just crazy. I'd give Rad Racer and 1943 A's over Popeye and Mendel Palace. I don't get Ice Hockey getting a D either. It's really easy, but it's still rather well done for an early sports game.

Anything ranked B and above I genuinely had a good time playing, and would have been happy to play even if it wasn't part of the contest. C and below started to be a bit more of a chore.... Ice Hockey, I just don't really care for... and I suck at it too.