IGNORED

**VideoGameSage NES Weekly Contest Leaderboard & Rules 2023**

BeaIank

On 9/8/2023 at 7:55 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Yie-Ar Kung Fu probably deserves a D- and I was the one that suggested it before the season. I had only played the arcade version and had no idea the Famicom port plays basically like Karate Champ Turbo.

I agree. after further consideration, I'd swap pinball and Yie-ar kung fu, and bump it down to a D-

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm guessing that's why it didn't get a NES release. It has to be the worst Konami game on the system.

And I'm a total Konami fanboy when it comes to their NES stuff. Almost everything they released on the NES is good/great. I even like Bayou Billy.

2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

And I'm a total Konami fanboy when it comes to their NES stuff. Almost everything they released on the NES is good/great. I even like Bayou Billy.

That's what makes Yie Ar Kung Fu seem so off. It feels like a bootleg version with the different character names, background and music instead of something Konami released themselves.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's what makes Yie Ar Kung Fu seem so off. It feels like a bootleg version with the different character names, background and music instead of something Konami released themselves.

The original arcade game was developed by Konami. It's amazing that they also did such a half assed port of their game.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

The original arcade game was developed by Konami. It's amazing that they also did such a half assed port of their game.

That's what's so confusing. According to Wikipedia, it's one of the four Famicom games that Konami published in 1985, but Antarctic Adventures was released at the same time and it's way better than this.

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's what's so confusing. According to Wikipedia, it's one of the four Famicom games that Konami published in 1985, but Antarctic Adventures was released at the same time and it's way better than this.

They released the same shitty version of Yie Ar Kung Fu on the MSX computer. It looks like a Colecovision game.

Maybe being 1985 had something to do with it. Early fighting games on consoles were lousy in general. I know that something much closer to the arcade version could've been done on the NES.

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

Maybe being 1985 had something to do with it. Early fighting games on consoles were lousy in general. I know that something much closer to the arcade version could've been done on the NES.

My guess was that maybe it was rushed since it was one of Konami's first releases, but it's barely even playable.

Events Team · Posted

Geral and genre scoreboards updated.

@PII is our 2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest Arcade champion. The arcade competition was fiery, with several players reaching the last week with a shoot for the title!

@Gloves is still top 1 in the Geral leaderboard, with a 7 points lead over @PII. @Bearcat-Doug comes third with 94 points.

14 hours ago, BeaIank said:

@Bearcat-Doug secured the 2023 Beat'em up crown! Hooray!

Two genre titles and third place overall is a better than I thought I'd do after missing the entire first month and a few weeks during the season. Congrats to @PII and @Gloves on taking the top two spots! Great job @docile tapeworm and @mbd39 on your genre title wins this year!

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 3

Events Team · Posted

Final standings for Geral and Genre scoreboards have been posted.

@PII takes the 2023 VGS NES WEEKLY CONTEST championship at the last round, with a meagre 3 points lead!

And all hail our 2023 genre champions!

Puzzle: @mbd39

Action: @PII

Shooter: @docile tapeworm

Beat em up: @Bearcat-Doug

Arcade: @PII

Sports: @Bearcat-Doug

Thank you all for partaking on this and making it special. We had a total of 24 who posted scores through the course of this season!

We will be back in 2024 for more.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Congrats @PII on the regular season championship and the two genre titles. That's one great season!

Thanks.  Admittedly, I was not expecting to do quite so well this year.  Nearing the end I was just trying to hang on to 2nd.  Once the BearCat wakes up he's a persistently brutal foe to have to compete against!

• Like 1