IGNORED

Are you content with your collection?

*taking pictures of every gaming item I own*

*preparing to upload to post*

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

the OP said if you were happy, not to ask to show your collection and post 55 pics of your stuff.

Aw, man! 😞

I'm actually pretty happy with a curated collection, yes. 🙂 Could always use more, but if I never collected another game, I'd still enjoy what I have.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eyeroll 1

I am extremely grateful for what all I have, but I recently realized I wasn't content! I am realizing I have consoles I don't really care about, displays I don't want, and games I have no intent to play so I'm considering downsizing in the near future.

That being said once I clear out the excess and finish my Japanese N64 collection I'll be VERY content and will just pick up NES and SNES games as they appear!

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

18 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

But even then it has taken me a little less than 11 years and 2 months to feel contempt with what I have. Simply put...I have gone from hunting down a sealed copy of Final Fantasy VII International to owning a sealed Japanese copy of Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade. With me being contempt simply because the latter received a low print run thanks to the whole PlayStation 5 shortage scenario. Thus being part of video game history that many will often overlook.

I'm sorry man but this was priceless!  I'm assuming you meant content, but when you say you have contempt with what you have after 11 years and two months... that's my kind of entertainment...  😛

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, PuppyWaffles said:

I am extremely grateful for what all I have, but I recently realized I wasn't content! I am realizing I have consoles I don't really care about, displays I don't want, and games I have no intent to play so I'm considering downsizing in the near future.

That being said once I clear out the excess and finish my Japanese N64 collection I'll be VERY content and will just pick up NES and SNES games as they appear!

Paring down the collection with the intent to refocus was extremely satisfying for me. For example, I like GameCube consoles and games. I like the idea of having a GameCube collection but it is an instance where if I emulated all GameCube games I wanted to played, Id be completely satisfied.

But with Sega Saturn or NES, I just don't get the satisfaction of only playing the games. Having my favorite games CIB on the shelf for those systems just hits all my nostalgia, gamer and collector buttons at once. So selling off my gamecube collection, among others, and refocusing on NES, Sega Saturn and others never really ended up bothering me, even almost a decade later (sold in 2015).

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

Oh lookie it's Trollpa again, being negative as usual (still haven't forgotten what he said to me in the COVID topic in 2021). Guess he hasn't looked at my Instagram page if he really thinks I posted pics of every gaming item I own. Then again that still wouldn't be every gaming item I've got.

To be fair, I also thought it was a bit unusual, but still cool to see. We have a lot of means to show off our stuff though, I certainly didn't feel this was the place to try and flex, since it's a topic about asking if you're happy with where you are. Not trying to dogpile though, still a cool set, but it makes the topic hard to read if 100 images blow up the pages.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I'm sorry man but this was priceless!  I'm assuming you meant content, but when you say you have contempt with what you have after 11 years and two months... that's my kind of entertainment...  😛

Now @Dr. Morbis, let me tell you what I mean
You got one, two, three games in my collection
Games that mark the difference between me being a collector and me being a bum
With a capital "B" and that rhymes with "G" and that stands for games

🎶 And all week long your VGS youth'll be fritterin' away
I say, your young men will be fritterin'
Fritterin' away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too
Get the game in the console, never mind gettin' hit points anulled
Or the screen door patched or the beef steak pounded
Never mind pumpin' any...erm..."water"
While other VGS collectors are caught with the NA database empty
On a Saturday night and that's trouble 🎶

Yes you got lots and lots of trouble
I'm thinkin' of Reed looking for games in a store called Knickerbockers
VGS promoting t-shirt wearing lurkers, peekin' in the forums after school
You got trouble, folks
Right here in VGS, trouble with a capital "T"
And that rhymes with "G" and that stands for games

(BTW, I only feel contempt because I still don't have a place to display my games after they are graded. 😉)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm one of those guy who collects everything, but I'm really in in for the obscure stuff like "Snail Against Squirrel" or that Russian romhack of RoboCop vs Terminator that has Chip & Dale sprites, lol. I have actually at some point played literally everything in my collection with some of my close friends. Making sure you have a game night and friends to enjoy it with is paramount - even if you need to use Parsec to play it over the internet with a Retrode! Part of the fun is just grabbing random stuff and throwing it in, or showing someone an obscure title you know they'll love. I'm in the hyper end game, and there is very little left that I need. Mostly a bunch of middling SNES boxes, and some sky-high finishers on various obscure systems. I do have limits however. Gamecube was the last system generation I went for full complete in box sets. After that it's just key games that I'd like, or things worthy of being played. So PS2 and XBOX only have all the Silents Hills, Metal Slugs, etc. Same for PSP, DS, 3DS, etc. Also Gameboy/GBC/GBA is just loose, but anything I'd really like is CIB. Anything Gamecube and before is worthy of a full set since they are usually much smaller, and games were much more a representation of the time they were around. The madness of it all is part the fun for me, and an oversized display of walls full of gaming carnage is how I roll!

Content? Yes, but the journey never really ends! 🙂

Edited by Armageddon Potato
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

Seeing that I said contempt, and not content, I am just going to (edit) what I said.

And instead say this event is why I am finding it cheaper to be a Final Fantasy otaku than it is to be a Dragon Quest otaku. With this being the last event I attended just for Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Everything was at a sane price. 🙈

Edited by FenrirZero
It's not an edit, it's a remake.

15 hours ago, PuppyWaffles said:

This exactly where I've been for the last 3 or 4 years. I am very grateful and content with what I have but I went a little nuts in 2014-2017 basically collecting as a habit since in retrospect I already had what I wanted. As a result, I just have a bunch of overstock stuff that I have little motivation to sell for various reasons. If there was a local game store still around I'd be tempted just to dump a bunch of it on the doorstep.

On 2/12/2023 at 11:10 PM, goldenpp72 said:

Check my signature for more information, but kinda. What I will say is that when I first started, my goal was about 900 games and that was a distant dream, and admittedly that core of 900 games was some really good shit. Since then I learned a lot, figured out my taste and broadened a lot, and now I'm a bit over 10k games with only a dozen left to get off my expanded, expanded, and expanded again list.

What I would say is that I began collecting what I'd call my A tier, then I sunk into B tier, and then C tier. I didn't dabble much into tiers below that unless it had some personal significance to me or was part of a series set. If someone told me I could not ever get the remaining dozen games on my list, my OCD would be upset, but my personal passion as a gamer would not be impacted in any meaningful way, so I suppose I am very content.

I have to ask you, I'm about 1,000 games into my collection and I have more or less run out of games that I would like to collect, it's curated so there's little to no shovelware. I could easily complete my Sega Saturn and PSX libraries cheaply now because of how I went about it. At 1,000 video games I already feel that it would take a lifetime to play my collection and I own almost every game imagineable for most systems that one would want, which brings me to my question:

How do you justify a collection 10,000 video games deep? You own multiple lifetimes' worth of video games and it would be impossible to play that many games to completion. This is no criticism on my part, I think it's cool that you're that dedicated to your hobby, but I'm already at my personal maximum. I'm interested to read your response!

Edited by TheGreatBlackCat
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

I have to ask you, I'm about 1,000 games into my collection and I have more or less run out of games that I would like to collect, it's curated so there's little to no shovelware. I could easily complete my Sega Saturn and PSX libraries cheaply now because of how I went about it. At 1,000 video games I already feel that it would take a lifetime to play my collection and I own almost every game imagineable for most systems that one would want, which brings me to my question:

How do you justify a collection 10,000 video games deep? You own multiple lifetimes' worth of video games and it would be impossible to play that many games to completion. This is no criticism on my part, I think it's cool that you're that dedicated to your hobby, but I'm already at my personal maximum. I'm interested to read your response!

It's a fair question, I've joked before that the only way I could play everything I have is if I became wealthy and never had to work again. Unfortunately I find as I'm aging I'm actually having to work more, which does leave me with a lot less time to be able to spend with my stuff than I'd like. What you should know is that while my collection is curated, I also have very broad taste as well. I basically like all genres and types of games with the exceptions of sports titles and racing titles, so I have a very small amount of that stuff within my collection, only limited to basically the most enjoyable arcadey types of releases or a few of the prestige titles (Gran Turismo, Forza, etc). I effectively own nothing like Madden and such however, just not really my bag. I do however love tons of genres, I bounce between stuff like Mega Man, Bust a Move, Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Tetris, whatever, without any issue, and I still love to visit old platforms even though I play on modern day platforms, and that's consistent with my child self. I still was playing NES Mega Man as a teenager even though I was also playing Halo 2 or something on XBL as well.

I suppose for me while I always was excited for new things, I never really lost love for older stuff as well, and as I became a collector and more aware of what exist it helped broaden and define my specific taste, things I wanted but never got to have, or things I didn't know about, but think I would like, were all on the table now. One thing to understand is that I grew up playing Atari 2600 despite being born in the 80s, then I went on to Nintendo, Sega, Playstation, and Xbox, usually funded by my own efforts mowing lawns or what have you until I was old enough to have a job, so I've always liked a variety of things even if I had a preference each generation. 

That all said, I collect on 50 platforms total, and with the exception of the most obscure platforms like Jaguar or Turbografx, I actually had most of these consoles growing up at some point or another, so if you crunch the math out, that would actually average out to be about 200 titles per platform, which by most standards isn't all that much in contrast to what others collect, it's just that I collect on a ton of platforms. Of course I have systems with 600 games and others with 20, but averages and all that. I would say of the 50 systems I collect on, I think I only didn't have maybe 15 or so of them while growing up, but I dove into them for the sake of being consistent (I never had an Atari beyond the 2600, but I have them all now, etc). 

I look at it basically as a mood and library, if I feel like playing Atari, I have a library that meets my taste to pick from, but maybe I feel like going back to Gamecube or Dreamcast, whatever mood suits me, I can look through that library and have good confidence that nothing I would really want to play is omitted from my choices, since I don't hold the Atari that high, I don't have many very expensive games for it because I just don't feel it's personally worth that level of interest for me, where as I adore the SNES and sunk serious money into it, so it just depends. You could break it all down to just wanting to make sure all my bases are covered, and with the exception of the Neo Geo, I basically own everything I ever could have wanted. That one I opted against since I already have ridiculous amounts sunk and don't have personal nostalgia for it. My collection is also consistent to child me, in that I preferred buying multi platform stuff on Genesis, or the original Xbox, so I have most of those on those platforms while not having them on SNES or PS2 for example, aside from relevant duplicates in certain series I collect.

You can basically boil it down that I like to collect things based on playability rather than having a specific obsession with one or two platforms, and I also have a big collecting bug to collect series sets that interest me, which is the other big driver for me spanning so many consoles, I can't own all the Sonic games without owning quite a few platforms, and that crosses over a lot really. Many people (not saying any of yall) have a sort of elitist, almost weird affection to a certain platform, I literally had a person contact me on Facebook while I was collecting Game Boy stuff saying that I'm the equivalent of a whore and shouldn't be allowed in this hobby, because I can't LOVE my systems the way he loves Game Boy, and it's like, well I do love my stuff, but I don't want to marry it, so you got me there. In the end, it's all just a different vessel for me to enjoy different games to me, while I have a specific fondness for Nintendo and Sega, that's just based on my sensibilities as a player really. I don't collect based on nostalgia primarily, but to actually represent the library I would have wanted play, or would like to play now. In fact I started collecting after meeting my lady friend of 15 years now because she somehow started with the 2600, but then skipped to the N64, missing out on all of the in-between, so I wanted to give her a representation of those eras and it ended up cascading from there. 

My collection was never born from following what others do, or just wanting to chip down an arbitrary list because I just can't stop collecting, which is why I have a final list while others keep going. Many just buy random things or follow trends, I buy what I want and don't care what others are doing. While I collected 'junky 10 dollar games', others were bashing me because it's not Little Samson (which I have now, but that's beside the point), now those games are worth at times hundreds or thousands and have become out of range, but I still get to have them because the driver was quality, not the economics of it. I'm glad I followed my own beat when it comes to collecting rather than ever trend/clout chasing. People buy things, decide they don't want them, trim down, buy back, they are uncertain, or unable to really define why they collect, but I can, which is why I'm truly content 😛

You said you like the Saturn a lot, I do too, it was my first console for that generation since I was a die hard Sega kid, so I assume you know a lot about it. Here is the (US library) list that I settled on, you can basically take that list and apply it across 50 platforms, and get an idea of my style I suppose.

I can't figure out how to spoiler tag this list, any help?

3 Pack Daytona/Virtua Cop/Virtua Fighter
Albert Odyssey
Alien Trilogy
Amok
Arcade's Greatest Hits Atari Collection
Arcade's Greatest Hits Midway Presents
Area 51
Astal
Baku Baku
Batman Forever
Battle Arena Toshinden Remix
Battle Arena Toshinden URA
Blast Chamber
Blazing Heroes
Bubble Bobble: Featuring Rainbow Islands
Bug Too!
Bug!
Burning Rangers
Bust-a-Move 2
Bust-a-Move 3
Christmas Nights Into Dreams
Clockwork Knight
Clockwork Knight 2
Command and Conquer
Contra: Legacy of War
Courier Crisis
CrimeWave
Croc
Crusader: No Remorse
Cyber Speedway
D
Darius Gaiden
Dark Legend
Dark Savior
Daytona USA
Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
Decathlete
Die Hard Arcade
Die Hard Trilogy
Doom
Dragon Force
Duke Nukem 3D
Earthworm Jim 2
Enemy Zero
F1 Challenge
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers
Galactic Attack
Galaxy Fight (sealed)
Gex
Ghen War
Golden Axe: The Duel
Grid Runner
Guardian Heroes
GunGriffon
Hang On
Herc's Adventures
Hexen
High Velocity: Mountain Racing Challenge
House of the Dead, The
Hyper 3-D Pinball
In the Hunt
Iron Storm
Last Bronx
Last Gladiators: Digital Pinball
Legend of Oasis, The
Loaded
Lost World: Jurassic Park
Lunacy
Magic Knight Rayearth
Manx TT
Marvel Super Heroes
Mass Destruction
Mechwarrior 2
Mega Man 8: Anniversary Collector's Edition
Mega Man X4
Mortal Kombat 2
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mr. Bones
Myst
Mystaria: The Realms of Lore
NBA Jam Extreme
NBA Jam T.E
Need for Speed
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge
Nights Into Dreams (1 Long Box and 1 Big Box/3d Pad)
Pandamonium
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon 2: Zwei
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Powerslave
Primal Rage
Pro Pinball
Quake
Rampage World Tour
Rayman
Resident Evil
Revolution X
Road Rash
Robo Pit
Robotica
Saturn Bomberman
Scorcher
Scud: The disposable Assassin
Sega Ages
Sega Rally Championship
Sega Rally Championship Net Link Edition
Sega Touring Car Championship
Shining Force 3
Shining the Holy Ark
Shining Wisdom
Shinobi Legions
Sim City 2000
Skeleton Warriors
Sky Target
Solar Eclipse
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Jam
Sonic R
Soviet Strike
Spot Goes to Hollywood
Steep Slope Sliders
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams
Street Fighter Collection
Street Fighter: The Movie
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Tempest 2000
Tetris Plus
Theme Park
Three Dirty Dwarves
Thunderstrike 2
Tomb Raider
True Pinball
Tunnel B1
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Virtua Cop
Virtua Cop 2
Virtua Fighter (Original)
Virtua Fighter 2
Virtua Fighter Kids
Virtua Fighter: Remix
Virtua Racing
Virtual Hydlide (Manual cover is separated)
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers
Virtual On: Cyber Troopers (Netlink Edition)
Warcraft II: The Dark Saga
Wing Arms
Winter Heat
Wipeout
Worms
Wrestlemania The Arcade Game
WWF In Your House
X-Men: Children of the Atom
Edited by goldenpp72

I'm happy with what I have, but I'm no where near slowing down or stopping any time soon. I enjoy the process of buying games and collecting, and organising my collection, just as I enjoy playing the games that I buy during my free time!

There are games I don't have that I want to play, but I also already own MANY games that I want to play that I haven't played yet. I buy games at a faster rate than I play them, so it is inevitable that I own games that I want to play that I never will. But I am fine with that because I know if ever I DO want to play that particular game I will be able to. And even if I never do, I'm still glad I have it, I enjoy owning it in and of itself.

I think my collection is decently focussed, despite ranging across a variety of systems, regions, time periods etc. It really comes down to a small range of systems that I have a hard-on for, where I own hundreds of titles each, and then a few other systems that are mostly just my original childhood collections with a few added titles here and there. I think that's pretty healthy, and it means there are always things for me to see and add to my collection but I can't ever really consider my collection either "complete" or "incomplete" because I haven't established any criteria for what that would mean.

The only exceptions to that would be my N64 collection, where I wanted the PAL set, the Japanese set, and the US exclusives, so there was a completion goal there, and now I am going for the Japanese MD set, but I doubt I ever WILL complete that one, so there you can say I have a definitive goal. But I won't say that I am not content if I never complete it, even if I would like to, because I can find so much joy and contentment in what I already have.

Other than that, I pick up games that I like for systems that I like, like XBOX, 360, DS or whatever and I have an IDEA of a few titles I would want for these, but generally I don't specifically know what I want ahead of time, and I definitely have no desire for a fullset in any other systems...

Then again, I saw a pretty cool CIB Game Gear bundle recently... And Japanese Game Gear is VERY cheap... Maybe I could get into that... 😅

12 hours ago, TheGreatBlackCat said:

My collection amounts to somewhere in between yours and @goldenpp72. I think the numbers vary generally because some collect to game, whereas others collect to collect (shelf-display, full set achievements etc). Just like there isn’t a right number of games to game, it’s probably a similar line of there isn’t a right number of games to collect. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GPX said:

My collection amounts to somewhere in between yours and @goldenpp72. I think the numbers vary generally because some collect to game, whereas others collect to collect (shelf-display, full set achievements etc). Just like there isn’t a right number of games to game, it’s probably a similar line of there isn’t a right number of games to collect. 

Well, I definitely collected to 'have games' as options to play, but I also like to try to make them look nice. Though back when I started, that wasn't so difficult to do as it is today either, if I were beginning today I'd likely have a smaller list and not go for boxes either, but I felt compelled to finish since I got so far 😕 I spent most of today just playing Smash Bros on Switch but also played some Gargoyles Quest while waiting for matches to begin, just have to have the time really 😛