IGNORED

Should I put custom labels on my NES prototypes?

A lot of people got quite heated about this when I first mentioned it so I thought I would ask here how people feel about it.

This one is a Mega Man 2 prototype I picked up mid last year. It is dumped, I have the only existing copy of the dump and I'm not aware of any other Mega Man 2 prototypes existing but they might be out there. It's just a label maker text on the front and top, it's probably not original from the developer and I was going to peel it off. Should I use this cartridge or use a donor cartridge and keep this one preserved?

IMG_20220706_175103.thumb.jpg.6cd804bd33b586700441853fae3d2f14.jpg

This is the label I had custom made by our very own Casual Cart, I think it's dope:

1376218689_Prototype2Watermark.thumb.png.ec20861407e042e08fb57cdf5ee4ac21.png

Also here is a NTSC Mario Bros. Classic prototype that was previously unknown to exist. It's undumped, I'm waiting to get my basement set up in my new house and unpack my NT so I can pull the ROM off of it for preservation. Mario Bros. was released in both North America and Europe but there was a PAL Mario Bros. Classic release in Europe which we never got here. It was unknown if a prototype ever existed until I found this so I'm thinking this is probably the only existing copy of this ROM in the world. I should get it dumped soon. There's currently no label at all on this one:

IMG_20211208_173015.jpg.453070a0973a4bee6d6ae52d2888ee3c.jpg

And here is the label I will be using for this one.

1288714126_PrototypeWatermark.thumb.png.d3072a18f3399089d484f193f752506d.png

I would honestly leave the prototypes themselves alone period, but if you absolutely want to put those killer labels on some carts that will play the prototypes, I would use new shells for the new labels and leave the originals alone.  Unless you can actually prove that a label on a cartridge didn't come from the developer (or whoever originally had the cartridge), I would say to always leave them alone, as they're part of the history of that cartridge.  Now, if the guy you got the Mega Man 2 cart from said, "Oh, yeah, I put that on with my label maker, it was blank when I got it," sure, ok, yank that thing off or leave it, but if you don't actually have a paper trail back to just some random collector doing it, I'd leave well enough alone, as slapping your own labels onto a proto at that point is really no different, regardless of how much nicer they look.  I would treat prototypes (as well as press demos, etc.) just like I would any regular cartridge I own--if the developer didn't ship it with a different label on it, it shouldn't have it on it, and if I feel differently, there are always new shells to decorate.

• Like 3

I figure it's a generic OEM shell with no distinguishing cuts or labels from the company on there by the time you got them.  Since that seems to be the case, go for it.  It's causing no harm, no tampering, no ruining of any so called perceived value on the shell itself.  Just go for it.

Had it some proven sticker some developer printed and/or hand wrote something onto it, then I'd say leave it alone as that would be actual historical value then.

Administrator · Posted
51 minutes ago, Link said:

Put the label images on clamshell cases and keep the prototypes in those. Best of both worlds, imo.

This. If nothing else I'd at least keep the current proto shells in-tact in their current form. You could put the proto into a new shell and store the OG shell separately.

That said, as cool as the art may be, they're going to look like repros, not protos. 

• Like 2

This is all just like, opinions man, but I agree with @Glovesloves on this one. The labels are cool and (especially in the case of SMB) they won't really be damaging the existing history all that much, but I think it will ultimately just end up looking like you have a couple repros, hacks, or bootlegs.

I don't think you should peel the printed labels off the MM2, there's no way to be certain those aren't original and weren't printed on a label maker at Capcom HQ. It would be a real shame if the only MM2 proto in existence had its labels removed and then 5 years down the line one of the original programmers from the project finds this thread and comments that they're original and we realize they're in a landfill somewhere.

Ultimately it's all just a matter of opinion, a lot of people wouldn't consider those labels, even if printed on OEM sticky paper, to be very important, but in my opinion anything original adds to the cool factor of the prototype, including the shell and the stickers.

As someone who doesn't collect this sort of thing and is OCD about uniformity, I would still say no. I think their unusual looking nature helps distinguish what they are and adds to the uniqueness if that makes sense, yeah it won't look as good as a finished product, but it isn't supposed to. I suppose it just feels like it flies in the face of the intent of the item, it looks unfinished because it isn't finished, and it can't be without compromising what makes it unique to collect in the first place.

That said, I'm not passionate one way or the other about it 😛

• Like 1

I agree with Link’s suggestion. Keep them as original but put them in the clamshell cases he posted with the printed artwork.

I think keeping it original preserves them. Yes the printed out label was most likely stuck on by the previous owner but that has sort of added to its history. A reproduction label like you have posted would just make it look like a reproduction game and not a prototype.

Pretty nice of you to ask the community instead of just doing your own thing. Means you really are interested in the items you own from a preservation perspective 🙂

• Agree 3

On 1/23/2023 at 7:38 PM, Code Monkey said:

A lot of people got quite heated about this when I first mentioned it so I thought I would ask here how people feel about it.

This one is a Mega Man 2 prototype I picked up mid last year. It is dumped, I have the only existing copy of the dump and I'm not aware of any other Mega Man 2 prototypes existing but they might be out there. It's just a label maker text on the front and top, it's probably not original from the developer and I was going to peel it off. Should I use this cartridge or use a donor cartridge and keep this one preserved?

IMG_20220706_175103.thumb.jpg.6cd804bd33b586700441853fae3d2f14.jpg

This is the label I had custom made by our very own Casual Cart, I think it's dope:

1376218689_Prototype2Watermark.thumb.png.ec20861407e042e08fb57cdf5ee4ac21.png

Also here is a NTSC Mario Bros. Classic prototype that was previously unknown to exist. It's undumped, I'm waiting to get my basement set up in my new house and unpack my NT so I can pull the ROM off of it for preservation. Mario Bros. was released in both North America and Europe but there was a PAL Mario Bros. Classic release in Europe which we never got here. It was unknown if a prototype ever existed until I found this so I'm thinking this is probably the only existing copy of this ROM in the world. I should get it dumped soon. There's currently no label at all on this one:

IMG_20211208_173015.jpg.453070a0973a4bee6d6ae52d2888ee3c.jpg

And here is the label I will be using for this one.

1288714126_PrototypeWatermark.thumb.png.d3072a18f3399089d484f193f752506d.png

Mega Man 2 protos are out there, but are quite rare. The known ones are yours, mine, and the "Clashman" Nolan Bros. We should compare dumps! If you every need anything dumped and examined I offer a free service to do so, and I've combed through 100s of prototypes, mainly NES!

Personally I keep all mine in those clamshell Nintendo cases. Those work perfect, and I label the spines myself. Very easy to find what I need when I need it!

Mega_Man_2_Prototype.jpg

Edited by Armageddon Potato

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, Armageddon Potato said:

Mega Man 2 protos are out there, but are quite rare. The known ones are yours, mine, and the "Clashman" Nolan Bros. We should compare dumps! If you every need anything dumped and examined I offer a free service to do so, and I've combed through 100s of prototypes, mainly NES!

Personally I keep all mine in those clamshell Nintendo cases. Those work perfect, and I label the spines myself. Very easy to find what I need when I need it!

Mega_Man_2_Prototype.jpg

Did the Nolans have more than one or is Code's the Clashman proto?  He got this one from the Nolans.

Just now, JamesRobot said:

Did the Nolans have more than one or is Code's the Clashman proto?  He got this one from the Nolans.

That would have to have the Famicom board inside it with a converter, which I believe it is not. Mark(I think I got the right Nolan, haha) said he'd keep that Mega Man 2 Clashman proto, and didn't want to sell it so I don't think that one would be it. We'd have to get a picture of the board to verify, but my memory tells me that isn't it. He never dumped the Clashman rom as of yet, so hopefully one day we'll get that dump!

• Thanks 1