IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 358/667 (bonus games - 23/100)
13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Congrats.

This is a weird coincidence but I was trying to beat this same game yesterday. I reached 4-2.

Not a good port. I'd stick with the SNES version (or Genesis which I haven't played yet.)

I've only ever played the NES version. It's enjoyable, but definitely has its flaws. I think the giant carnivorous plant is actually the toughest boss, and you only fight it once early in the game (2-1, right?). It's not even the "main" boss of its stage. 

Other than that, the hardest part of the game is not falling into pits. Between the stiff and not always responsive controls, and the cheap placement of flying enemies near the pits, those are very dangerous. It definitely feels like a quarter-munching spot in an arcade game there.

29 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I've only ever played the NES version. It's enjoyable, but definitely has its flaws. I think the giant carnivorous plant is actually the toughest boss, and you only fight it once early in the game (2-1, right?). It's not even the "main" boss of its stage. 

Other than that, the hardest part of the game is not falling into pits. Between the stiff and not always responsive controls, and the cheap placement of flying enemies near the pits, those are very dangerous. It definitely feels like a quarter-munching spot in an arcade game there.

I had trouble with that plant boss and the T Rex/pterodactyl combo in level 4. And getting knocked into pits or missing jumps in level 2. You're right about the controls. At least the levels are really short.

I recommend trying the SNES version. It still isn't the best game in the world but night and day compared to the NES version. Data East, man.

20 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I had trouble with that plant boss and the T Rex/pterodactyl combo in level 4. And getting knocked into pits or missing jumps in level 2. You're right about the controls. At least the levels are really short.

I recommend trying the SNES version. It still isn't the best game in the world but night and day compared to the NES version. Data East, man.

I think I had to replay the game 3-4 times in a row last night before I cleared it.

I did actually game-over once on the T-Rex/Pterodactyl last night, but I don't remember having problems with it in previous years. It's still doable with the base stone axe weapons, whereas it feels like I need at least the wheels to kill the plant.

Just completed Kabuki: Quantum Fighter for the first time. It's a fun game, with a couple pretty cheesy sections. Could be called a hidden gem, but I think it's of middling quality. 7/10 maybe. Good boss designs and tight controls, but it's some of the animations make it tough to time some jumps and attacks

KabukiQuantumFighter.jpg

I did a loop of Stealth ATF, i.e. beating 8 levels. Then it loops infinitely. The "key" to winning this game is to constantly fly loopings and keep pressing A to shoot since you have unlimited ammo. Also, when you fly loopings the enemies will almost never hit you. It also helped reliably against enemy missiles. It's still a jittery mess of a game, but at least this is good enough to beat the first eight levels.

Stealth ATF.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all, what's up?

I beat Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors II.

As a personal goal, I've been completing a bunch of NES games recently. I beat a lot of them in December, so they don't qualify for this...lolol, bad timing, right? Totally forgot about this challenge, though I used to do it a lot. Wish I'd contributed earlier this year.

20230102_151651.jpg

Edited by acromite53
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I did a loop of Stealth ATF, i.e. beating 8 levels. Then it loops infinitely. The "key" to winning this game is to constantly fly loopings and keep pressing A to shoot since you have unlimited ammo. Also, when you fly loopings the enemies will almost never hit you. It also helped reliably against enemy missiles. It's still a jittery mess of a game, but at least this is good enough to beat the first eight levels.

Stealth ATF.jpg

I just want to say you're doing a killer job tackling the tough high point games this year.

Hoops is done:

1020867229_Hoops0.jpg.1ac99c65788fd75d8c24de98858f505f.jpg

1651950874_Hoops1.jpg.92d46c00523e2176d4455df18cc9176c.jpg

745619530_Hoops2.jpg.93204ce3e0a73ca47a9748892d3ed27c.jpg

1200439568_Hoops3.jpg.26c8ced14652a93aacdb093c877a5a99.jpg

1446202249_Hoops4.jpg.967acf2a53bcc5f1490cbc9664240b5f.jpg

Legs and Barbie were the only combination of players that seemed to work for me. Didn't realize until a game or two in that they were the only women players too!

This game basically sucks, by the way. I guess it's playable, especially given that it has passwords (unlike its Game Boy sister, In Your Face), but there are so many issues:

• The constant ball stealing is ridiculous. Stealing a ball when standing well behind my player? Check.
  • The constant fouling is beyond ridiculous. I've passed the ball, didn't hit a single button or D-pad direction while the ball was in transit, and immediately gotten a foul as soon as my player got the pass!
  • The rubberbanding of the player speed -- when you have the ball, the opponent mysteriously becomes super-fast -- is beyond irritating. Double Dribble does it too, but it's more offensive here. You simply can't dribble or run with the ball, at all, if an opposing player is within 10 yards.
  • The gameplay is cluttered and messy. It's often hard to tell who has possession, or who your characters even are, since too many players look very similar and your team doesn't get matching jerseys.
  • No idea why your shots sometimes go in and sometimes don't. Timing is clearly a factor but, often, I think the game just wants you to pass the ball a whole bunch before it lets you take a successful shot. (This reminds me of the arcade, Game Boy, and Genesis versions of Double Dragon III, of all things -- a game that forces you to wait 5-10 seconds between attacks, as nothing you do will work unless you wait out its timer.)
  • The "bring the ball back to the baseline" mechanic is tedious and poorly implemented (and prevents you from making jumping passes unless you can take a shot at that moment).
  • The camera is often poorly placed, showing the background behind the court when it should be showing the bottom half of the court. This also conceals the possession arrow, leaving you unsure whether you can take a shot yet or not.
  • The slam dunk mechanic is stupid. How many times have I seen the CPU block a shot when it's not even in the same time zone as my player? Or how many times has my player been right there, yet done nothing to block the shot? And why can't I just take a regular #$%#$ layup, or hit a button to switch the active player?
  • The manual has several mistakes about what button does what. Not cool.
  • Finally, the game caches your password after you win, but not when you first enter a password after a cold boot. In other words, you have to win a game during power-on in order to get your password cached -- which means that, for that first game in a session, you have to enter your password over and over again...

Ugh. But, it's done. I think I'll do AD&D: Dragonstrike next, playing on Hard mode since that's the one difficulty I haven't beaten yet.

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 366/667 (bonus games - 23/100)
50 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

Just noticed I've gotten credit for Heavy Shreddin' on the leaderboard, but that's @NESfiend's clear, not mine. (I'd like to beat it someday, though last time I tried, the game seemed to require waaaaaay too much memorization...)

Got it, thanks.

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I just want to say you're doing a killer job tackling the tough high point games this year.

Gaia is crushing it this year. Can he finally beat nerdy, after three years in a row of being the runner up?

6 hours ago, acromite53 said:

Hi all, what's up?

I beat Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors II.

As a personal goal, I've been completing a bunch of NES games recently. I beat a lot of them in December, so they don't qualify for this...lolol, bad timing, right? Totally forgot about this challenge, though I used to do it a lot. Wish I'd contributed earlier this year.

Welcome back! Still plenty of good games left.

Last night I was trying to beat 1942 again, which is not as bad as it sounds - it's relaxing in an rpg grinding sort of way. Just pure shooting with little in the way of variety (it's like the Uncharted 1 of NES shooters). Anyway, I got 75% of the way through it and the game soft-locked on the third boss. So that sucked.

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

No worries. I want us to beat the challenge this year, so I'm doing what I can. And maybe getting some of those high pointers off the list is good for overall morale. Plus, more actually good games left for others to beat.

53 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Gaia is crushing it this year. Can he finally beat nerdy, after three years in a row of being the runner up?

I'm trying! At least a top 3 should be realistic at this point. But the biggest and toughest chunk of the games is still left.

Events Helper · Posted

fun fact @NESfiend....I really loved space exploration as a kid and made a paper mache space shuttle in second grade.  i found this game at a rental store but only rented it once or twice and fell in love with it, twas the second or third game i bought for my collection!  Now who can deny me playing for the thread 😆

Edited by Jeevan
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, scaryice said:

Last night I was trying to beat 1942 again, which is not as bad as it sounds - it's relaxing in an rpg grinding sort of way. Just pure shooting with little in the way of variety (it's like the Uncharted 1 of NES shooters). Anyway, I got 75% of the way through it and the game soft-locked on the third boss. So that sucked.

1942 is done. Played it on console instead of emulator last night, and it worked fine. Final score was 1,371,500 with a percentage of 87% (better than last year's 83%).

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 370/667 (bonus games - 23/100)
Events Helper · Posted

I'm gonna take it as i can play space shuttle project then?  I will do it this weekend as i have to play some more starcraft 64, but it should be an easy knockout for the thread, if there are others that are quick so you all can focus on longer ones, i will see what i can do between this and the 64 thread!  

• Thanks 1