IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

I tried beating Mad Max, but died twice at the final boss, which is extremely frustrating since you have to do the previous two levels over again which easily takes 15 or 20 minutes just for another try. It's also unfair that the boss has something like 80 hit points, whereas the player character only has 16 and limited ammo.

Alien 3 is done.

I don't think our team progress is actually all that impressive, since the participation has been pretty soft from everyone but Gaia and myself. And as far as a ferocious 2-person competition for the championship goes, I've got a ways to go before we can compare this to @Doctornickvs. @BeaIankin 2015.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 432/667 (bonus games - 32/100)
10 hours ago, NESfiend said:

@scaryicewe are due for a progress update vs other years. With the insane 2 man race for first, I would think progress has been pretty good. Cant remember anyone hanging with nerdy this long

We were 8th/12 years to reach 400:

400 games beaten

2021 15-Jan
2015 16-Jan
2016 19-Jan
2014 26-Jan
2017 27-Jan
2018 30-Jan
2020 30-Jan
2023 06-Feb
2022 08-Feb
2013 17-Feb
2019 14-Apr
2012 26-Apr

Doing slightly better the last week, so we may fare better on the next milestone:

450 games beaten

2021 19-Jan
2015 21-Jan
2016 31-Jan
2017 07-Feb
2020 14-Feb
2014 16-Feb
2022 05-Mar
2018 10-Mar
2013 02-May
2019 19-May
2012 07-Jun

Okay I'm now on 8-4 in Adventure Island. 8-2 and 8-3 not quite as bad as I remember although still really, really hard.

EDIT: Never mind. There was some sort of power reset and my tv and game system flicked off right during the last level. I don't know what caused it or why it happened other than God hates me.

Edited by mbd39
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Adventure Island is done. Happily no issues this time. What an insanely challenging but fun game. I still prefer it to AI2. 

8-2 is still the hardest stage by far if you happen to lose your weapon and you probably will.

QbxFo1W.jpg

One of the best games on the NES for sure.  Congrats!

12 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Adventure Island is done. Happily no issues this time. What an insanely challenging but fun game. I still prefer it to AI2.

Glad you didn't let the reset stop you.

I've been playing The Lone Ranger, about 75% of the way through now. This will be my first new completion this year (that is to say, all the others I've beaten before).

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 434/667 (bonus games - 32/100)
1 hour ago, scaryice said:

Glad you didn't let the reset stop you.

I've been playing The Lone Ranger, about 75% of the way through now. This will be my first new completion this year (that is to say, all the others I've beaten before).

Lone Ranger has a steep learning curve, but I found it very satisfying. 

Lone Ranger is finished! It's definitely brutal at parts, but it only took me two tries to beat the last boss. Thank god the game lets you skip half of the last area after dying. Like everyone else has said over the years in these threads, the game is quite fun and underrated, if you can get past the lack of checkpoints.

xhdhLU3.png

• Like 3

Abadox is done. This game has a really cool space horror theme going for it. However, the actual gameplay is rather unremarkable, imho. It also suffers from the Gradius syndrome where it's very difficult to get back on track once you've died. The unlimited continues made it bearable, but without them it would have been quite an awful grind.

As for Mother aka Earthbound Beginning, it'S progressing really slowly. The other day I've returned from that strange world and made my way to some sort of school. I might do a longer write-up once I'm finished, but currently I'm not enjoying this game too much either in terms of gameplay. That's why I've been progressing so slowly. (That and because I've been quite busy lately.)

Abaddox.jpg

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Abadox is done. This game has a really cool space horror theme going for it. However, the actual gameplay is rather unremarkable, imho. It also suffers from the Gradius syndrome where it's very difficult to get back on track once you've died. The unlimited continues made it bearable, but without them it would have been quite an awful grind.

As for Mother aka Earthbound Beginning, it'S progressing really slowly. The other day I've returned from that strange world and made my way to some sort of school. I might do a longer write-up once I'm finished, but currently I'm not enjoying this game too much either in terms of gameplay. That's why I've been progressing so slowly. (That and because I've been quite busy lately.)

Abadox seems kind of annoying based on the little I've played. Like, the hitboxes just seem a bit off.

I enjoy Mother 1 because it's more open world than the other games in the series. And of course, the excellent soundtrack.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 439/667 (bonus games - 32/100)

@Gaia Gensouki I'm sorry you aren't enjoying Earthbound Beginnings more. Magicant is actually one of my favorite places in the game, but for reasons that may not be obvious the first time you go through there. The graphics and gameplay obviously pale in comparison to the SNES sequel, but I found the original to have a far more coherent and moving story. 

@scaryice That RoboCop 3 end screen is something else! It's so detailed and faithful to the movie, but they forgot to draw RoboCop's jetpack. 

@nerdynebraskan@scaryiceI'm not even sure if it's really the fault of the game itself. I've been playing so many NES games recently that I feel as if I might be less receptive to them, especially entirely new games. So if I had started it some other time I might have had a more positive outlook.

As for the game itself, the atmosphere and story moments are actually really cool and at times left me dumbfounded or laughing, because it was so unexpected or silly. In that way it somehow feels unusually fresh for a NES game and more akin to a modern indie game. The music is also fine, if not great at times and the graphics are still solid for a NES game, imho.

Where the game falters every now and then is the actual gameplay or rather combat. The difficulty curve is pretty uneven. Some fights are really easy, whereas others suddenly become extremely difficult where I don't even know what to do other than to run away or grind some more levels and hope for the best. For example, some enemies get power-ups during battles, which means that they can now completely wreck me. Or an enemy in magicant can lower your stats which makes them near impossible to kill. Since I don't know how to reverse this I frequently had to just run away.

Then there's also the issue with the critical hits that seem to ignore armor. So one moment enemies might only deal 1 or 2 damage and the next moment they unleash critical hits that deal about 50 damage. So it feels a bit whack at times in terms of difficulty. Luckily, the game is at least generous when it comes to game overs, so that I can restart with minimal losses. But still, it was a bit rough at times. I'll try it again on the weekend.