IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

Young Indiana Joney Chronicles is done. I found a neat little trick that made the game a whole lot easier. When you collect a hat you can take an additional hit. If you then collect another hat while still wearing one you earn another life. However, the crates in which you can find hats tend to respawn if you leave the screen and re-enter it. You can't do this everywhere, but there are a few places here and there where you can just use this to rack up 9 lives.

Young INdiana Joney Chronicles.jpg

• Like 3

Beat the guardian legend again, what a fantastic game, right up my alley. The shooter sections are challenging enough to push me, but not so twitchy that you have to dodge everything or get punished, which is the sweet spot for my, extremely limited, shmup skill. I also really love the RPG and adventure elements. The controls are tight, graphics and sound are great, it's in my top 10 probably. 

20230207_212451.jpg

Edited by Khromak
typo
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 408/667 (bonus games - 23/100)

I had a frustrating day yesterday.

I burned all the way through Arkista's Ring to the level before the final boss on the fourth and final loop, and then lost all ten continues there because I had no... music boxes?... to slow down the ninjas. The brown ninjas on the final loop are insanely tough. If you don't have any music boxes, they just kill you in less than 5 seconds.

Then I spent hours on Klax, and stalled on Level 100. It's the third time that I have tried and failed at it this year. Getting 250000 points in one level is a serious achievement, but I haven't struggled with it to this degree in previous years. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, PII said:

I certainly don't mean to laugh at the adversity you're experiencing but I just love this sentence.  😆

Yeah, ya gotta hand it to NES game developers and whatever drugs they were on when they were brainstorming the concepts and mechanics of some of these games.

So, for anyone who hasn't played Arkista's Ring:

The most difficult and dangerous enemies in the game are the ninjas. Yes, this is a fantasy game where you play as a female elf archer killing fantasy enemies with a bow and arrows. But there are also ninjas in the last castle, and they are MEAN. They all fly across the screen, jump over walls, and generally just bear down on you and fuck you up in a hurry. And some of them, often but not always, are a different color and require an absurd number of hits to kill (even with the superior fireball wand weapon).

The last level of a loop before the final boss round immediately puts you up against maybe 8 green ninjas and 1 super-tough brown ninja. The brown ninja is by far more dangerous than any of the bosses because of his speed and erratic movement, and also has a similarly buff number of hit points. You can't even really maneuver around him because of his speed and the fact that walls impede you but not him. And even if you have some opening to get around him, he has all of the equally quick and relentless green ninjas. And the game has a way of always putting the brown one in front of his minions. It's almost impossible to isolate him from the green ones, which will die in a couple of hits.

The only way I can beat that stage on the first loop, let alone the last, is to have several of the powerup that is maybe some kind of magical music box. It doesn't make any kind of sound in-game, but if you use it it puts all ninjas on the screen to sleep for about 10-15 seconds. That's long enough to kill all the green ninjas, but I often need a second one to keep the brown bastard down long enough to shoot him too.

7 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Yeah, ya gotta hand it to NES game developers and whatever drugs they were on when they were brainstorming the concepts and mechanics of some of these games.

So, for anyone who hasn't played Arkista's Ring:

Def. a major factor in why I love the OLD games most.  Its like the results of a fever dream.  The furniture's on the ceiling, the walls are made of unicorns and closing in, while the ninjas attack, but they can be calmed like the giant ants in Mario 3 with the aid of a music box.  It's just the best kinda stuff...

I was playing through Burai Fighter when I got this extremely underwhelming ending. I was playing on Albatross which I thought would be medium difficulty, but apparently there are two difficulty levels above that. It seems like they weren't necessarily required in the last years though. So not quite sure if it counts or not.

Burai Fighter.jpg

13 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I was playing through Burai Fighter when I got this extremely underwhelming ending. I was playing on Albatross which I thought would be medium difficulty, but apparently there are two difficulty levels above that. It seems like they weren't necessarily required in the last years though. So not quite sure if it counts or not.

That's fine, we haven't required a better ending on that one.

In the meantime, I've beaten Gauntlet II once again. It's about 2.5 hours to beat 100 stages, but at least half of that time is spent afk waiting for the walls to turn into exits (which takes a little over 2 minutes for each level you do that in).

wQ3IjfP.png

Edited by scaryice
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 413/667 (bonus games - 23/100)
35 minutes ago, scaryice said:

In the meantime, I've beaten Gauntlet II once again. It's about 2.5 hours to beat 100 stages, but at least half of that time is spent afk waiting for the walls to turn into exits (which takes a little over 2 minutes for each level you do that in).

Wait, so you actually don't walk around until 2 minutes have passed? Is that the trick to beating this game? Because I've never managed to beat a Gauntlet game ever before since they always seemed way too difficult.

13 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Wait, so you actually don't walk around until 2 minutes have passed? Is that the trick to beating this game? Because I've never managed to beat a Gauntlet game ever before since they always seemed way too difficult.

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about this too, as your life counts down constantly, so you'd have to wander around a good bit just to find enough food to survive until the end.  Maybe it's a measured tactic only employed on the harder/hardest levels?

I just did something that I never thought I would be able to do: I not only beat Adventure Island II, but I didn't use any dinosaur whatsoever. Very happy about this one, because it feels like a real accomplishment.

I was also surprised at how well I was doing in the final world. Probably because I had been trying that one over and over again in previous years. So I almost forgot everything about this game, except for that one world.

On a side note, I've learned that your next level is determined by which egg you choose at the end of a level. I'm not 100% sure how exactly that works, but for posterity, my quickest and easiest way tog et to the final boss was by choosing the third egg in the first three levels and when I got to the mountain level in the south I chose the first egg to get to that lonely island right in the middle of the lake. There I chose the third egg again to get directly to the boss level. So if I should ever replay this game I now have written down this route. Because previously the game would send me to all kinds of levels where I had to regularly do 7 levels before getting to the final boss level. Maybe there's an even quicker way, who knows.

Adventure Island II.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

5 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

It's seemingly a failsafe in case you get in a spot where there are no keys. First the doors open, then a little bit later the walls turn into exits. The game itself is very easy, though. Probably because it's a 4 player game, and I don't think the amount of food is different for a single player. Now Gauntlet 1, that's a hard game - even knowing what to do.

5 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about this too, as your life counts down constantly, so you'd have to wander around a good bit just to find enough food to survive until the end.  Maybe it's a measured tactic only employed on the harder/hardest levels?

Once you build up a decent amount of health, it's not much of a worry. I would guess that I played 2/3rds of the levels normally. Maybe closer to 40% of the time spent waiting, I guess. Basically just used to not have to deal with the more annoying/complicated levels.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

On a side note, I've learned that your next level is determined by which egg you choose at the end of a level. I'm not 100% sure how exactly that works, but for posterity, my quickest and easiest way tog et to the final boss was by choosing the third egg in the first three levels and when I got to the mountain level in the south I chose the first egg to get to that lonely island right in the middle of the lake. There I chose the third egg again to get directly to the boss level. So if I should ever replay this game I now have written down this route. Because previously the game would send me to all kinds of levels where I had to regularly do 7 levels before getting to the final boss level. Maybe there's an even quicker way, who knows.

I just checked the TAS, they take the following route:

snow (2nd)
water (4th)
lava (2nd)
water (2nd)
final

It looks like you played 1 extra level compared to that.

Amazing job, BTW.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I just did something that I never thought I would be able to do: I not only beat Adventure Island II, but I didn't use any dinosaur whatsoever. Very happy about this one, because it feels like a real accomplishment.

I was also surprised at how well I was doing in the final world. Probably because I had been trying that one over and over again in previous years. So I almost forgot everything about this game, except for that one world.

Adventure Island II.jpg

Good job. I was just playing this and gave up. I hate having to start at the beginning of the world when you continue and having to repeat the same levels over and over. That makes this more tedious than the first Adventure Island which is still my favorite.

And is it just me or do some of the dinos make the controls much worse and slippier? I'll avoid using them on purpose because of that.

31 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Good job. I was just playing this and gave up. I hate having to start at the beginning of the world when you continue and having to repeat the same levels over and over. That makes this more tedious than the first Adventure Island which is still my favorite.

Thanks. The repetition indeed gets grating after a while. But I remember the first Adventure Island being really tough right from the getgo. I didn't get far in the weekly challenge when we were playing AI there.

34 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

And is it just me or do some of the dinos make the controls much worse and slippier? I'll avoid using them on purpose because of that.

Yeah. When you control a dino you're faster, the controls become very slippery, your hitbox is bigger and you lose food much quicker. That's why the dinos aren't always an advantage in this game. I felt that the third game did a better job of designing the levels in such a way, that the dinos were actually useful. During that playthrough I used them frequently and found them to be rather fun.

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

I just checked the TAS, they take the following route:

snow (2nd)
water (4th)
lava (2nd)
water (2nd)
final

It looks like you played 1 extra level compared to that.

Interesting. I didn't even think of that. But that lava level looks rather difficult and I got accustomed to most of these other levels that I could beat them reliably. It was usually the volcano levels where I was literally burning through my lives.

On 2/8/2023 at 4:09 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Rocketeer is done. This guy looks kinda familiar. Also, the game is actually pretty good and even generous with its unlimited continues and passwords. I'm surprised that this game survived so long on that list.

Rocketeer.jpg

I had pulled it a couple days ago but hadnt gotten to it. Its a GREAT game. The flying aspect really adds to an otherwise good platformer. Really happy to see some appreciation for it for once!