IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

Just finished Don Doko Don 2. Overall a fun little platformer where you can swing a giant hammer to stun enemies and throw them at other enemies to kill them. You can collect blue crystals for points and 10 red crystals to restore one point of your life bar. There are also some other icons that can give you permanent upgrades to your health bar, so that you can go from 3 life points to a maximum of 8 which makes the game a lot easier. However, your life points don't replenish between levels, so you still have to be careful.

For the most part this game wasn't particularly difficult either, that is until the level 4 boss where it definitely starts to ramp up a bit. At the end of level five you even have sort of a boss rush where you're fighting against three boses in a row. Problem is, that they're posing a bit of a challenge until you've figured out their patterns. But whenever you die you always start over with three life points. So at the end I had to fight these bosses with little life left. I eventually ran out of continues and lives, so that I had to restart the game over again even though I was just at the final form of the final boss. So yeah, I would have preferred it, if you could have restored your health even just a little bit before or during the final boss rush. Other than this tiny nitpick it's a good game, imho.

Don Doko Don 2.jpg

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 286/667 (bonus games - 9/100)

Adventures of Captain Comic is done. This game could have really needed some post-hit invincibility, because on certain occasions I lost my HP really quickly, because the enemies spwan very suddenly and move pretty quickly, too. On top of that there were a few nasty jumps that cost me lots of lives. As a result I had to start over a bunch of times. It's definitely not bad, but could have needed some tweaking here and there.

Adventures of Captain Comic.jpg

I beat zelda without a sword! I've done this challenge before, and in a few other versions of the game too! This challenge is always fun because you have a chance to use all the items you rarely use in a normal playthrough. It's definitely tough, especially when you need to kill enemies with bombs and you're running short

20230119_181623.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

I'm about 85% of the way through Spiritual Warfare, but it was getting late and I called it a night. The puzzle room on the beach and the island south of the beach with the heart container were frustrating the hell out of me, and the Internet was not immediately helpful with solutions. The only walkthrough on GameFAQs (by the legendary AdamL himself) is not actually very detailed, and I didn't have much patience to scan a YouTube longplay where the player had done his business in a very different order than I am. And I really need the Sword of God, because the methed-out muscle guys on the beach are really wearing me down. 

8 hours ago, Khromak said:

Mega man 3 done with only buster and rush, except the final boss who is immune to the buster. I did end up using the trick on the shadow man stage, it took many tries but I eventually got it. I actually think one of the hardest parts was actually wood man, without e tanks he's damn tough. 

Can you explain that trick to get past the ladderbug? And will you be going after the Mega Man 2 challenge as well? 

37 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Can you explain that trick to get past the ladderbug? And will you be going after the Mega Man 2 challenge as well? 

Yeah I will probably try MM2. First off in my experience the bug always moved up just like in the video posted earlier in this thread. Someone had commented that they couldn't get it to do that but I think it was just misremembering, it always goes all the way to the top (just about to the bottom of the last gear thing).

You follow it all the way to the top, as high as you can get, and then drop off the ladder manually. Then you spam start as fast as you can. It seems to me that the important part is trying to hit start as soon as the menu closes down, but I was just spamming as fast as I could tbh. This might be trivial with one of those "slow motion" controllers or accessories, but I was just using a stock controller on a regular top loader. Eventually the guy will go down to about even with your position, since he's still moving and you're not really falling because of the pausing. Once he gets to where you're at (ideally below, but I'm not sure that's possible), you run into him, grab the ladder as high as you can, and then climb up.

If done correctly, you'll just BARELY get your feet past the top of him as your i-frames are wearing off. It took me dozens of tries before I ever got it, and I had to do it at least twice because I died to Metal Man. At this point if you have any e tanks, probably blow some so you don't die and have to do this damn trick again, though admittedly the rest of the level isn't too tough. Heat Man can be a little bit of a pain but if you shoot him as fast as possible and keep some distance he's not too bad. He always warps to where you are, so you can jump over him, shoot, and then get some distance if possible.

I think this challenge would be significantly tougher if not for E-tanks. The regular bosses are relatively easy, but the mid-bosses from MM2 are insane, especially since you have to do 2 in a row and there are no E-tanks there. If I were to do it again, I would save all the tanks from the first portion of the game to be used on the second. The Wily stages have a ton of E-tanks and aren't very difficult, so once you're past the shadow stages you're pretty much home free. The last tricky part is the Wily Spider machine, but with some practice he's not too tough.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 289/667 (bonus games - 15/100)

At least one successful completion for the day: Parodius Da!

The slowdown in this game is insane. Normal games have slowdowns during moment of gameplay. This game however has seconds of normal gameplay during slowdown. I also didn't like that many bosses were practically invincible and that you had to survive for a few minutes before the game went on.

Parodius.jpg

• Like 1

JBJ done.

Frustrating as hell, but pretty fun to learn. I appreciate how they treat the first cycle as practice. It makes the second cycle really mean something.

If they could have fixed the jump and the enemy HP, they actually would have had something here.

Fantastic soundtrack.

IMG_8685.jpg

• Like 1