IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

Prince of Persia is done. This time around the game annoyed me quite a bit at times, though I can't tell if it was the game itself or if I'm starting to get burned out on NES games after playing so many of them in such a short amount of time. Or maybe I need some gaming comfort food, like a grindy RPG.

Prince of Persia.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Prince of Persia is done. This time around the game annoyed me quite a bit at times, though I can't tell if it was the game itself or if I'm starting to get burned out on NES games after playing so many of them in such a short amount of time. Or maybe I need some gaming comfort food, like a grindy RPG.

I've not been my sharpest the last couple of weeks, either. I've crashed and burned on several games that I can pretty reliably beat. I think there is a fatigue factor (for me, at least) that comes with binging on games for weeks on end. My personal life has also not been the most cooperative...

Regardless of how this ends, you've had a great run. It's very rare for anyone besides me to complete 100 NES games in a year here, but you're a shoe-in for that milestone. And no one in the history of this thread has ever scored over 400 points and finished worse than 3rd. You're also about 100 points short of your single-year best, so that's very attainable too.

The rest of the gang aren't even close to us. It seems to be a slow year for overall participation.

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Jeevan said:

I'm gonna take it as i can play space shuttle project then?  I will do it this weekend as i have to play some more starcraft 64, but it should be an easy knockout for the thread, if there are others that are quick so you all can focus on longer ones, i will see what i can do between this and the 64 thread!  

Just do it man

• Like 1

Top Gun is done!

And I have a lot on my mind regarding this game. In only knew it from the AVGN and it didn't seem as bad at first. The dogfighting is mostly good and responsive, but overall very shallow compared to the other NES flight sims I have played so far, but it's a fairly early game. The biggest problem during the dogfights were actually the missiles, because they kill you in one hit and it's difficult to evade or destroy them. At first they weren't that big of a deal, but starting from mission 2 the enemies already fire two or three missiles at you. That is definitely way too hard to dodge reliably.

So I didn't make much progress at first, until I realized that I can just fly to the top right or top left and the enemies won't even be able to attack you. It can still happen on occasion that an enemy fighter appears out of nowhere and shoots missiles at you, but this was the safest stragety I could find. For the bosses I just used the strongest missiles and spammed them.

The trickiest and most infamous part of this game is probably the landing. My first few attempts were actually all successful, since I just followed the orders on screen and it somehow just worked. It was only later, when I started to overthink things, that I ended up crashlanding a bunch of times. But then again, the game even tells you that you need to be at roughly 200 feet and 288 ml/h. So aim for that plus/minus a little bit.

So yeah, I have very mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would until I realized that the fighting is not that great or fun and that the best strategy is to just avoid fighting altogether, which kinda sucks all fun out of this game. But you would have to be insanely skilled to make it through all of these levels legit due to these stupid volleys of missiles.

Top Gun.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 1

Holy crap i just had an absolutely bonkers run at ren and Stimpy. I've beaten the game before a couple times but it's usually a struggle, this time I 1 cc'd it and absolutely destroyed all the levels. It's still a short, terrible game with awful controls, terrible hitboxes, bs enemies, and abysmal music, but it's done. In the bright side, I made $47m

20230131_193848.jpg

20230131_193833.jpg

• Like 2

Started a game of Dragon Warrior III with @Gaia Gensouki, @nerdynebraskan, and @scaryice as my party members. I took this week off work so it shouldn't take too long to get through the game, but it's still a pretty lengthy game so we'll see.

Figured I'd take a break from some of the crap I've been playing and have on the docket. Might do another crap game or two between grinds, we'll see.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Khromak said:

Started a game of Dragon Warrior III with @Gaia Gensouki, @nerdynebraskan, and @scaryice as my party members. I took this week off work so it shouldn't take too long to get through the game, but it's still a pretty lengthy game so we'll see.

What classes do we have?

11 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I've not been my sharpest the last couple of weeks, either. I've crashed and burned on several games that I can pretty reliably beat. I think there is a fatigue factor (for me, at least) that comes with binging on games for weeks on end. My personal life has also not been the most cooperative...

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it gets a bit better in the upcoming weeks. Is there maybe a game left, that works as some sort of comfort game for you? Or maybe try out some of the Famicom/Pal games for a change of pace? Or maybe it just takes a bit of time to normalize.

As for the relatively low participation I thought about maybe doing less next year, because I thought that the quick pace of completion, especially at the beginning, might stifle participation. Or maybe the overall interest for completing the NES library year after year has gone down? I can definitely see the yearly grind taking its toll.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 378/667 (bonus games - 23/100)
On 1/24/2023 at 12:07 AM, PII said:

I love this game.  Probably the cart I most want to acquire at the moment.  Would like to spend some serious time speed running it.  What did you like / dislike the most?

Sorry for the delay in reply.

To me it’s just one of those games that’s a bit frustrating at first, but once you get the feel for the controls and the enemies & stage layouts memorized, it is fun & satisfying to run through.

It’s definitely a good type of game to try and speed run. I’m not much of a speedrunner myself but I did just pull off a no-death run of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

What classes do we have?

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it gets a bit better in the upcoming weeks. Is there maybe a game left, that works as some sort of comfort game for you? Or maybe try out some of the Famicom/Pal games for a change of pace? Or maybe it just takes a bit of time to normalize.

I was in a hurry to get to bed last night, but I actually no-deathed Astyanax. I think that was a personal first. So I've had a few triumphs as well as my frustrations.  There are definitely many games left that I enjoy, and I will continue to play through them as my time permits. 

You were talking RPGs recently. Have you played Mother? I'm in the minority, but I think I liked it better than its more famous SNES sequel. 

• Wow! 1

3 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

You were talking RPGs recently. Have you played Mother? I'm in the minority, but I think I liked it better than its more famous SNES sequel. 

No, I haven't played it yet. But apparently I have Earthbound Beginnings on the Wii U. So that might be worth a try, if no one's playing it right now.

5 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Have you played Mother? I'm in the minority, but I think I liked it better than its more famous SNES sequel. 

I've got a translated version of the game, I played through 1/2 or 3/4 of it a few years ago but never finished. I think Earthbound is much better. The encounter rate, especially, in Mother is just so brutal. That combined with a relatively shallow depth of mechanics, I'm not the biggest fan. It's a good game, but doesn't hold a candle to Earthbound in my, somewhat limited, experience.

Freedom Force is done.

@Khromak

Your opinion is definitely more popular than mine. And yeah, I get that the original game is simpler and grindier. But JRPGs are very story-driven, and I thought the original game had a stronger story than the sequel. I really appreciated that the specific way that the melody you spend the whole game reconstructing related to defeating the final boss. The musical stuff was re-inserted into Mother 2/Earthbound, but it pissed me off the way it was used as a throwaway. I legitimately tear up most of the time when I think about the way you have to beat Gygas in the original Mother (or the fate of Magicant), and I just didn't find Earthbound to be emotionally moving in the same way.

Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum is done. With guide it's actually a really short game. But I don't want to imagine what it must be like beating this one without guide or other help. Then it would most likely be very long, tedious and frustrating. It doesn't help either that the game physics are rather slow and just unfun.

Btw. this should finally be my completion no. 100 for the challenge. I didn't quite manage to do this within January, but it's still a pretty cool milestone for me.

Dash Galaxy.jpg

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 381/667 (bonus games - 23/100)

Day Dreamin' Davey is done. I thought that this would be a quick playthrough before I could get to Mother. At the beginning it seemed to go really smooth and progress was quick, but then somewhere around level 8 where you had to fight against three medusas the game started to get really difficult and really annoying.

Day Dreamin Davey.jpg

• Like 1