IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

12 hours ago, scaryice said:

You're definitely good enough to do any of these. Have confidence! I've done a few before: Guerilla War, MM2, MM3, SMB3, Super C, Zelda 2. Honestly, those runs were easier and a more fun experience than beating bad obscure games like Metal Mech and Super Glove Ball. SMB3 was the hardest of those just because it's longer with no saves.

Here's a clip of someone getting past that enemy in MM3:

I've long considered my skill level to be far below most of the hardcore players with a similar number of gaming hours as I've put in.  My success on this annual challenge, and really this alone as far as gaming competition goes, stems from my sheer knowledge of the NES catalog. I'm generally the sort of guy who's happy to see the ending screen of a game, and then move on to another game. Although, since I'm permanently hooked on this one particular platform, I tend to cycle back through the same batch of games over and over.

And there are some personal favorites that I come back to more often, which is how I've clocked so many hours on the Mega Man and Mario games. I would personally consider myself in the Top 1% of all gamers to ever play those series on the NES, but most folks posting in the "Play" subforums here are in the 1-2% range, too. Even when I worked in a game store a few years ago, I would be reminded that there are gamers (some experienced!) out there who considered these games hard. "Oh, I could never beat Super Mario Bros. There's that one IMPOSSIBLE jump..."

That said, virtually all of these challenges are really for players in the Top 0.1-0.2% of gamers. I mean, as much as I love a game like Mario 3, I'm not even going to try a no-death longplay. That would give me so much anxiety that I'm guaranteed to jump straight into a pit somewhere in World 4 or 5 (at latest) just out of playing too tight. Shoot, I've had playthroughs where I would randomly die off-screen (possibly from some kind of glitch) while trying to P-wing fly over the fast mini-airships level in World 8. Even a much shorter game like Duck Tales would make me anxious given how many enemies drop diamonds when you kill them, not to mention spending an entire game having to ignore or dodge virtually every item you encounter would probably drive me crazy.

Thanks for the video of the Mega Man 3 player, but it raises more questions than it answers. When I was hung up on that ladder bugthing, it would never crawl that high up the ladder for me. And I never had space to regain my grip of the ladder and move past it during the brief invincibility window after taking a hit. This guy seems to be exploiting some kind of pause-glitch to gain an edge? I suspect that this player is using some kind of emulator, because many of the online videos I use for reference show the game behaving differently than it does for me on an original console. Also, the only other "buster only" longplays I can find on YouTube show the player making an exception and blasting the bug with a Shadow Blade or Gemini Laser. My question still stands if your player's maneuver can be replicated on original hardware.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 284/667 (bonus games - 3/100)

Just beat Keroppi to Keroriinu no Splash Bomb. It' a very cute and kid-friendly Bomberman clone with Sanrio characters. Instead of bombs you use water bombs, so they're not deadly for you. However, they can shove you around. So they might throw you into an enemy or a deadly obstacle. The levels aren't small single screen areas like in (Super) Bomberman, but instead they're like big dungeons with interconnected rooms. One thing that really stood out to me was the music, which was upbeat and very pleasant.

Keroppi.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

Smurfs is done. Nowhere near as good as Asterix, but still an okay game. The level variety is good and visuals and music are both fine as well, but the enemy placement is really mean at times. For example they often put enemies right next to a ledge so that you fall off and die if you get hit by them. Plus, they either tend to appear suddenly or you can't even see them before jumping for whtever reason. So I dunno, it has all the ingredients for a decent if not good game, but the cheapness of some enemies and obstacles turned me off a little. Asterix felt a lot fairer.

The Smurfs.jpg

19 hours ago, TriHart said:

I'm currently working on my first playthrough of Faxanadu. This game is super fun. I didn't really know what to expect, but as of now, almost into the tower of suffer, I'm really digging it. I will post my picture when I'm through, but I wont have a ton of time to play over the next couple days. 

I tried playing Faxanadu for a hour or so a few years ago, but I couldn't get into it. I'm not sure why people seem to regard it so highly?

Also, looks like Gaia has actually moved ahead of Nerdy for the time being...

Edited by scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 284/667 (bonus games - 6/100)

Just beat Banana Prince. It' such a weird game. You fight against vegetables, like cucumbers, peas, paprikas, carrots and eggplants. Seriously, why do the Japanese hate eggplants so much? On top of that certain boss fights consist if quizzes. So similar to Alex Kidd, where you're playing a game of rock-paper-scissors during a boss fight, in Banana Prince you have to answer a few questions. Some are really simple, but others are really weird and required trial and error to figure out the answers.

But there is also a bonus area, that plays like a game of sugoroku where you also have to answer lots of questions or do simple minigames. But the number of questions is so low, that you'll end up seeing the same questions over and over again. And when you manage to clear a sugoroku board you're awarded with a banana sword/shield/armor etc. I couldn't figure out what they were even good for. No idea. And the only walkthrough to this game on gamefaqs doesn't say anything about them.

Then you can collect rings that you can exchange for various items, e.g. bananas to heal your hp or various axes and swords. Basically, you can upgrade your weapon throughout the game, but in the game they never say what the extremely numerous upgrades even do. It seems like the base sword attack with its puny range always stays the same and the only thing that changes is the projectile that you shoot. But there is no way to tell in advance which upgrade does what and if it's actually an improvement or not. Just bizarre.

So all of this extra stuff seems like mostly pointless junk that was added to a very mediocre platformer and that artifically padded out the play time. Worst of all, the platforming itself isn't too great either. You're moving very slowly and whenever you jump it seems like you're slowing down as if you're moving through a swamp or something. Anyway, the platforming and fighting didn't fell all that nice. So yeah, it's not bad, but rather mediocre and tedious after a while.

Banana Prince.jpg

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

Also, looks like Gaia has actually moved ahead of Nerdy for the time being...

I don't expect that to last long. Something similar happened in a previous year and then he crushed my score. But at least having some fresh new optional games keeps the challenge a bit more fresh.

1 hour ago, scaryice said:

I tried playing Faxanadu for a hour or so a few years ago, but I couldn't get into it. I'm not sure why people seem to regard it so highly?

What' the problem with Faxandu or maybe I should ask, why can't you get into it?

To me it feels like a Zelda II style of Action-RPG that's a bit easier and with an unusual setting. Maybe the combat isn't quite as refined as in Zelda II, but to me it was still rather fun a few years ago. Not sure how I would feel replaying it now.

11 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I don't expect that to last long. Something similar happened in a previous year and then he crushed my score. But at least having some fresh new optional games keeps the challenge a bit more fresh.

[...]

What' the problem with Faxandu or maybe I should ask, why can't you get into it?

To me it feels like a Zelda II style of Action-RPG that's a bit easier and with an unusual setting. Maybe the combat isn't quite as refined as in Zelda II, but to me it was still rather fun a few years ago. Not sure how I would feel replaying it now.

If anyone is a threat to me, it's probably you, Gaia. Try hard and believe in yourself!

Your review of Banana Prince was pretty harsh. I find it flawed but charming. I played the original German ROM for the contest last year, and I got my partner (who speaks some German) to help me with the quiz questions. That may help me to be more sympathetic to the game than you are. 

Faxanadu is also in the flawed but charming bin for me. I hated the key system, and found the physics somewhat plodding. But it was still one of the most solid action-adventure/RPGs on the console. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scaryice said:

I admit, the first little bit felt slightly disorienting. I don't know what it is. It did take a little while to get my bearings. Once I got a little grounded in what was going on, it grew on me pretty quickly. 

2 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I absolutely felt the throwback to the Zelda II side scrolling bits. I think that's what pushed me to keep going.  I think I appreciate this RPG level up system to what was offered in Zelda II. More straightforward. (Though it has been a long while since I played Zelda II)

I could see revisiting this one. It would reduce the back and forth I think knowing what's going on, and starting with a little more Faxanadu game sense. 

2 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Faxanadu is also in the flawed but charming bin for me. I hated the key system, and found the physics somewhat plodding. But it was still one of the most solid action-adventure/RPGs on the console. 

I appreciate the flawed but charming perspective. I think I like the darker atmosphere they went for. The keys do piss me off. Once you've spent one, if you have no spare that back tracking in the misty area was annoying. Take it as motivation to not die, and keep more red potions on hand. Haha. 

10 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Just beat Banana Prince. It' such a weird game. You fight against vegetables, like cucumbers, peas, paprikas, carrots and eggplants. Seriously, why do the Japanese hate eggplants so much?

I think it's just a vegetable that Japanese kids hate, along with green peppers (that seems to be the most common one I see in anime these days). Here's an article from 2011:

https://japantoday.com/category/features/food/eggplant-most-hated-vegetable-among-kids

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 285/667 (bonus games - 8/100)
18 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

American gladiators 

28418F91-B6E4-4637-8F3B-6BDC16FCFF11.jpeg

You like the game? I friggin love american gladiators on nes. Used to rent it as a kid a LOT. First year I can remember someone beating me to it on this thread. Actually made me happy to see someone else could tolerate it enough to scale 4 walls. 

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

You like the game? I friggin love american gladiators on nes. Used to rent it as a kid a LOT. First year I can remember someone beating me to it on this thread. Actually made me happy to see someone else could tolerate it enough to scale 4 walls. 

Yeah we had it growing up, so it’s an easy one for me to pick up and play especially considering how short it is, I love the walls I wish there was a game where it was like 100 levels of different walls it’s part strategy it’s part puzzle and just the dexterity or whatever to control the guy it’s a fun challenge 

• Love 1