IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2023 - 600/677 (bonus games - 75/100)

scaryice

11 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Did you follow the speedrun route? This looks like an incredibly punishing game if you don't go into it with a plan.

I don't know what the speedrun route is but I got there myself and also yes I agree this game is very punishing. It is basically "soft-lock the game" and I really wish it had a suicide button which is absurd for a title like this

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular is done. I haven't been able to do the stupid River Jump even a single time. Either the timing is unforgivingly precise or there si some trick that I do not know.

This is how I feel trying to do the half pipe in 720. I know it's possible to do tricks on it (but it never happens).

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 261/667 (bonus games - tba)
On 1/11/2023 at 10:27 AM, nerdynebraskan said:

"Non-NES" sequels? Like Mega Man 9?

Yeah, exactly. I may throw in a few non-sequels that are very obviously based on a certain game/series. Limiting this to 21st century stuff, since stuff like Donkey Kong on the Game Boy is too close to the actual NES era.

21 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Sounds like a bunch of shit I have zero interest in.

Challenge runs could be cool, but maybe make that a separate category rather than included as bonus games.  Either way, those are of limited interest to me.  Just get the unlicensed, PAL, and FC games up.  Like all of them.

I'm planning on limiting it to 100 again. Mainly for the sake of only having a certain number of points overall. Also because we didn't even come close to finishing last year. Right now I'm thinking 40 unlicensed, 20 other licensed games (aka PAL and Famicom, maybe 10 each?), 20 challenges, and 20 "non-NES sequels/successors."

Leaning towards picking the same 40 unlicensed as last year since we didn't finish them. Probably the same PAL games as well since the selection isn't very big. I'll pick a few different Famicom games though.

20 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I like the idea of challenge runs.

I'm trying not to just have everything be 'beat the game without dying'. It's kind of hard to be more creative without getting too difficult - trying to make a few easier ones as well.

We now know what the 1 point games will be for 2024. There will be nine games that go from two points to one (for the games in bold, it's their first time being worth 1 point):

Balloon Fight, Deja Vu, Double Dragon, Dynowarz, Fisher Price Perfect Fit, Kid Klown, Mickey's Safari in Letterland, Spy vs Spy, Tecmo Super Bowl

I'm currently working on Adventure Island III, but it's insanely difficult and I'm stuck in world 7. Almost had the boss once, but he hit me and I got knocked off from my dinosaur and into a pit. This game is just so incredibly and unfairly difficult. I have to remind myself to never touch an NES AI again.

7 hours ago, scaryice said:

Yeah, exactly. I may throw in a few non-sequels that are very obviously based on a certain game/series. Limiting this to 21st century stuff, since stuff like Donkey Kong on the Game Boy is too close to the actual NES era. [...]

Right now I'm thinking 40 unlicensed, 20 other licensed games (aka PAL and Famicom, maybe 10 each?), 20 challenges, and 20 "non-NES sequels/successors."

Leaning towards picking the same 40 unlicensed as last year since we didn't finish them. Probably the same PAL games as well since the selection isn't very big. I'll pick a few different Famicom games though.

Well, you certainly never please everyone here, and I don't envy the awkward position that puts you into.

I'm definitely not into putting games into an NES competition that aren't playable on 8-bit Nintendo hardware. Unlicensed, imports, hacks, and homebrews are all cool to me because they're literally all playable on an NES (or AV Famicom, as I tend to prefer these days). At the point where we're required to play even something like Mega Man 9 on a modern(-ish) machine, how is it even an NES challenge anymore?

If it was up to me, I'd have at least as many imports as unlicensed games. I think one of the primary hopes of this thread is to get people to find new favorite games. And frankly, the Famicom/PAL ranks are much deeper in offering grade-A and B titles. I like the unlicensed NTSC catalog more than the average NES gamer, but about 2/3s of those games are objectively mediocre at best. Some are still enjoyable, at least as an acquired taste. There are only a handful of smash hits: Micro Machines, Rolling Thunder, RBI Baseball 2 & 3, Dizzy. Contrast that with the Japanese and European exclusives of the era: Crisis Force, Final Fantasy 3, Fire Emblem, Mother, Mr. Gimmick, New Ghostbusters II, Wai Wai World 2... and so many more that I'm not even trying to name here.

3 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Well, you certainly never please everyone here, and I don't envy the awkward position that puts you into.

I'm definitely not into putting games into an NES competition that aren't playable on 8-bit Nintendo hardware. Unlicensed, imports, hacks, and homebrews are all cool to me because they're literally all playable on an NES (or AV Famicom, as I tend to prefer these days). At the point where we're required to play even something like Mega Man 9 on a modern(-ish) machine, how is it even an NES challenge anymore?

Is it really that different than including a homebrew made in the same modern era? I'm thinking of games like Blaster Master Zero, Mega Man 9, Spelunker HD, etc - all of which clearly have NES-style gameplay. That's another way to get people to find new favorite games, right?

I get what you're saying, though. It does seem like a step further to have games like that. Maybe I should get more opinions before making it official. What do you guys think? I could just make some more challenge runs instead, if people would prefer that.

Edited by scaryice

In a certain other thread the idea came up to maybe give the Famicom exclusives their own completions thread. Not sure what the general thought on that would be here, but I like the idea to have more Famicom games.

I personally don't mind this idea of including modern NES style games, if it's just part of the optional games list. It could be fun to explore modern takes on these classic gaming formulas. Some of those I've been meaning to play at some point in my life anyway, like the aforementioned BMZ or MM 9 among others.

7 hours ago, scaryice said:

Is it really that different than including a homebrew made in the same modern era? I'm thinking of games like Blaster Master Zero, Mega Man 9, Spelunker HD, etc - all of which clearly have NES-style gameplay. That's another way to get people to find new favorite games, right?

I get what you're saying, though. It does seem like a step further to have games like that. Maybe I should get more opinions before making it official. What do you guys think? I could just make some more challenge runs instead, if people would prefer that.

It's a hard no from me because I only play on the original hardware. As much as I've always wanted to try Mega Man 9 & 10, I've never owned a machine that could run them and never cared enough to change that fact. I only have an emulator on my laptop to test whether I have correctly patched a hack before adding it to my Everdrive. 

I'm intrigued by the challenges concept. Those would all be for top-tier games, right? Here's a few suggestions that aren't just no-deathing or speed running.

- Getting the $10 million ending in Duck Tales. (Maybe require highest difficulty if that's possible on Easy.)

- Beating Mega Man 2 or 3 with virtually* no special weapons. Some of the Wily bosses are immune to your pea shooter, so some exceptions need to be made. There's a few areas in MM3 that can't be crossed without Rush, but say we ban him in places where the Blue Guy can platform his own way through. 

- Some kind of mandatory longplay of Super Mario Bros 3. Whether you want to require completion of every stage, or just ban warp whistles, it is a challenge of time and patience. I've beaten the game hundreds of times, but probably only 2-3 times without warp whistles. It's fun, and not that hard, but it does test my patience to spend an entire afternoon with that one game. And I can't be the only one, right? 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2023 - 265/667 (bonus games - tba)

Well, it seems like more people would be into the challenges runs than NES style modern games. So I'll put together a few more challenges and then post the whole bonus list this weekend.

4 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

It's a hard no from me because I only play on the original hardware. As much as I've always wanted to try Mega Man 9 & 10, I've never owned a machine that could run them and never cared enough to change that fact. I only have an emulator on my laptop to test whether I have correctly patched a hack before adding it to my Everdrive. 

I'm intrigued by the challenges concept. Those would all be for top-tier games, right? Here's a few suggestions that aren't just no-deathing or speed running.

- Getting the $10 million ending in Duck Tales. (Maybe require highest difficulty if that's possible on Easy.)

- Beating Mega Man 2 or 3 with virtually* no special weapons. Some of the Wily bosses are immune to your pea shooter, so some exceptions need to be made. There's a few areas in MM3 that can't be crossed without Rush, but say we ban him in places where the Blue Guy can platform his own way through. 

- Some kind of mandatory longplay of Super Mario Bros 3. Whether you want to require completion of every stage, or just ban warp whistles, it is a challenge of time and patience. I've beaten the game hundreds of times, but probably only 2-3 times without warp whistles. It's fun, and not that hard, but it does test my patience to spend an entire afternoon with that one game. And I can't be the only one, right? 

I actually have very similar ideas for those four games, although I was thinking of something harder for Mario 3. BTW, you really should play Mega Man 9, it's the best game in the series.

While I like the idea of challenge runs, it seems a bit far off from what this thread is about.  Maybe it would work better as a separate event?  I think including imports works best for the bonus games.  A specific list of games isn't necessary, just track them as they are completed like in the Game Boy and Nintendo 64 threads.

On 1/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, Gaia Gensouki said:

Snoopy's Silly Sports Spectacular is done. I haven't been able to do the stupid River Jump even a single time. Either the timing is unforgivingly precise or there si some trick that I do not know.

Snoopys Silly Sports.jpg

I got this game back in the day and still can't consistently complete the river jump.  You have to be incredibly precise.