IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

Events Helper · Posted
13 hours ago, ikk said:

The topic is picking up again, the final push is happening! 😃

How is everyone doing with the games on the claimed list? Some games have been on there since january.

1 area left with pikmin 4 and i will be done with that and focus on starcraft 64 and mission impossible, mission impossible on stream, unfortunately i am working some Much needed OT for some quick cash, but i should be good for it the week of my birthday!!!!!!!!  AKA the week of August 13.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 239/303
Editorials Team · Posted

I'm 30ish hours into Aidyn. I get lost a lot, so I might be a bit behind. For anyone familiar, I just arrived at Terminor where I'm forced to change my party to include a specific person. That's in-game time, so it doesn't include the many times I've reloaded saves and studied online guides to figure out what's even happening. But I'm totally into it now, lol. It's been a long time since I've done a deep dive into a good ol' swords-n-scrolls fantasy RPG. And while there are some wonky things about this game, it's really not bad at all. It's both silly and complex. I'll write up a full review when I finish.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
58 minutes ago, Splain said:

I'm 30ish hours into Aidyn. I get lost a lot, so I might be a bit behind. For anyone familiar, I just arrived at Terminor where I'm forced to change my party to include a specific person. That's in-game time, so it doesn't include the many times I've reloaded saves and studied online guides to figure out what's even happening. But I'm totally into it now, lol. It's been a long time since I've done a deep dive into a good ol' swords-n-scrolls fantasy RPG. And while there are some wonky things about this game, it's really not bad at all. It's both silly and complex. I'll write up a full review when I finish.

As you get deeper and deeper I find that the wonky nature of it being an N64 RPG starts to melt away and it really draws you in.

• Like 1

Snowboard Kids is done. Now, this is a game I have a love-hate relationship with. I love the aesthetics of this game, and the soundtrack is wonderful. It has so much charm, the characters are memorable and it has honestly quite a lot of replay value, since there are so many boards to unlock and tasks to complete. Also, it is a very difficult game to complete, which leads to the part I disliked about it. It doesn't feel hard because it's challenging, but because it's unfair. The game's mechanics, as I've read on Wikipedia, rely on the "rubber banding" phenomenon. Wikipedia says: "Rubber banding may refer to: in video games, the rubber band effect in dynamic game difficulty balancing, where AI characters falling behind may get a boost by the game while those ahead may be hindered." Honestly, I find games like this so frustrating. The most popular that comes to my mind being Mario Kart 64. It feels like that even if you raced perfectly in a level, the AI can kick your butt in the last seconds of a track, meaning that you need to do it all over again. Multiple times. Even if you've played perfectly.

I think the sequel is a better game, it was way more balanced if I recall right. Good game though.

Snowboard Kids (3).jpg

Snowboard Kids (2).jpg

Snowboard Kids (1).jpg

• Like 7

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 241/303
1 hour ago, ikk said:

Started PGA European Tour today, this game is long... Not only do they make you play a lot of full 18 hole rounds of golf, they make you watch the shots of another golfer 😒

Fortunately it's pretty easy and you can save at the start of every hole and reload if needed.

I did not call dibs on this one, but I am actually doing it right now. I'm pretty far in it, so if you want to tackle another game, it's up to you. I will not be angry if you decide to finish it anyway.

I never thought that we'd debate over PGA European Tour, haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RetroMichel said:

I did not call dibs on this one, but I am actually doing it right now. I'm pretty far in it, so if you want to tackle another game, it's up to you. I will not be angry if you decide to finish it anyway.

I never thought that we'd debate over PGA European Tour, haha.

I only just finished the qualifying school and unlocked the actual tournament, so if you're further in please take it! 😁

Editorials Team · Posted

I did it. I finished Aidyn. My in-game time was around 45 hours, but I easily put in 50+ if you count the times a party member died (permadeath 😒) and I had to load a previous save, or the time I put into researching the game online... in an effort to save time lol. The game world is really big, and I got lost a lot of times. There's a lot to learn about how to fight certain enemies, which spells do what, which abilities and attributes are worth putting your XP into, and of course where everything is.

People make fun of this game but it's a good game. With a couple of tweaks it could have gone down as a must-play, being one of few RPGs on the 64. Yes the battles are slow, but the added strategy of managing your position and distance from enemies and party members, and even the direction everyone is facing (there's an ability that makes you deal more damage if you attack enemies from behind) is absolutely a unique, defining characteristic of the game. I haven't really played any modern RPGs, so maybe this is common nowadays. But it was new to me.

There's a couple of bugs, but most of them weren't game-breaking lol.

I sort of went through 4 phases while playing this game:

Phase 1: Being annoyed at how slow and janky the game is. (1-2 hours)

Phase 2: Appreciating the complexity of the game, especially the leveling-up system, and wanting to go out of my way to keep playing it--but still having a lot of questions about core mechanics, and still being a little intimidated by it. (10 hours)

Phase 3: Full Charlie-Day fanboy. "Hmm, I want everyone to have a magic weapon so I can fight spirit wolves, wraiths, etc but my only magic Hafted weapon is the wrong solar/lunar aspect for this character. Maybe I'll start putting XP into Sword and go back to Terminor where I can buy a Chaos Sword, but the vendor will only be there if I go at night..." (25-30 hours)

Phase 4: Ok, I don't want any more XP, I just want to finish the game. I have to backtrack across the whole world and fight a million enemies and it's dragging a bit. (the rest, ~10 hours)

If they had managed to make that final stretch a little more interesting, it really would have sent me over the moon about this game. Some advice for anyone who might play it in the future:

- Save often. Like, comically often. A non-trivial percentage of my total gameplay time was going through the pause menus to save the game.

- You really have to force yourself to stick with it for a couple hours until it gets interesting. It took me like 6 months to get through the first 2 hours of the game, and 1 month to get through the next ~50.

- You can use your XP to level up your basic attributes, your learned abilities, and also your spells. So you can turn almost anyone into almost any kind of fighter you want. I paid very little attention to all the different people throughout the game that you can switch out and add to your party, I just shaped everyone the way I wanted to and my party was a well-oiled machine by the end. My ending party had 3 out of the 4 people I started with, since I was forced to swap one out at a certain part of the game.

- Go ahead and just look stuff up. The manual is pretty barebones and the game doesn't tell you, for example, what the spells do unless someone in your party has already learned it. If you have time for a ton of trial and error, this game is probably immensely satisfying. But there's a place called Shamsuk's tower that has so many obtuse puzzles that I wouldn't have solved before rage-quitting unless I were a teenager with infinite time like back in the day. Like, there's a part of the wall in a certain hallway that's a different pattern of colors than the rest. You have to try to open it like a door to get to the next part of the tower, but it won't work until you kill some specific enemies in a different, later part of the tower. The game indicates nothing about this in any way. I could have burned hours in that tower.

- Hit Points are made up of a combination of your Level, your Stamina, and your Endurance. They all add up to your HP. That's how you can cast spells without MP/mana or anything, and that's why you lose health when you cast. I still don't know how many Stamina points you can expect to recover when you drink a potion, or how much Stamina you lose when you take a hit, because the game doesn't show you how much of your HP is Stamina and how much is just... HP.

So there you go. I peeked at the guide on GameFAQs more times than I want to admit, but I was fine with giving all my free time to this game for a while.

ucDlq0I.png

• Like 8
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 245/303
Administrator · Posted
9 hours ago, Splain said:

I did it. I finished Aidyn. My in-game time was around 45 hours, but I easily put in 50+ if you count the times a party member died (permadeath 😒) and I had to load a previous save, or the time I put into researching the game online... in an effort to save time lol. The game world is really big, and I got lost a lot of times. There's a lot to learn about how to fight certain enemies, which spells do what, which abilities and attributes are worth putting your XP into, and of course where everything is.

People make fun of this game but it's a good game. With a couple of tweaks it could have gone down as a must-play, being one of few RPGs on the 64. Yes the battles are slow, but the added strategy of managing your position and distance from enemies and party members, and even the direction everyone is facing (there's an ability that makes you deal more damage if you attack enemies from behind) is absolutely a unique, defining characteristic of the game. I haven't really played any modern RPGs, so maybe this is common nowadays. But it was new to me.

There's a couple of bugs, but most of them weren't game-breaking lol.

I sort of went through 4 phases while playing this game:

Phase 1: Being annoyed at how slow and janky the game is. (1-2 hours)

Phase 2: Appreciating the complexity of the game, especially the leveling-up system, and wanting to go out of my way to keep playing it--but still having a lot of questions about core mechanics, and still being a little intimidated by it. (10 hours)

Phase 3: Full Charlie-Day fanboy. "Hmm, I want everyone to have a magic weapon so I can fight spirit wolves, wraiths, etc but my only magic Hafted weapon is the wrong solar/lunar aspect for this character. Maybe I'll start putting XP into Sword and go back to Terminor where I can buy a Chaos Sword, but the vendor will only be there if I go at night..." (25-30 hours)

Phase 4: Ok, I don't want any more XP, I just want to finish the game. I have to backtrack across the whole world and fight a million enemies and it's dragging a bit. (the rest, ~10 hours)

If they had managed to make that final stretch a little more interesting, it really would have sent me over the moon about this game. Some advice for anyone who might play it in the future:

- Save often. Like, comically often. A non-trivial percentage of my total gameplay time was going through the pause menus to save the game.

- You really have to force yourself to stick with it for a couple hours until it gets interesting. It took me like 6 months to get through the first 2 hours of the game, and 1 month to get through the next ~50.

- You can use your XP to level up your basic attributes, your learned abilities, and also your spells. So you can turn almost anyone into almost any kind of fighter you want. I paid very little attention to all the different people throughout the game that you can switch out and add to your party, I just shaped everyone the way I wanted to and my party was a well-oiled machine by the end. My ending party had 3 out of the 4 people I started with, since I was forced to swap one out at a certain part of the game.

- Go ahead and just look stuff up. The manual is pretty barebones and the game doesn't tell you, for example, what the spells do unless someone in your party has already learned it. If you have time for a ton of trial and error, this game is probably immensely satisfying. But there's a place called Shamsuk's tower that has so many obtuse puzzles that I wouldn't have solved before rage-quitting unless I were a teenager with infinite time like back in the day. Like, there's a part of the wall in a certain hallway that's a different pattern of colors than the rest. You have to try to open it like a door to get to the next part of the tower, but it won't work until you kill some specific enemies in a different, later part of the tower. The game indicates nothing about this in any way. I could have burned hours in that tower.

- Hit Points are made up of a combination of your Level, your Stamina, and your Endurance. They all add up to your HP. That's how you can cast spells without MP/mana or anything, and that's why you lose health when you cast. I still don't know how many Stamina points you can expect to recover when you drink a potion, or how much Stamina you lose when you take a hit, because the game doesn't show you how much of your HP is Stamina and how much is just... HP.

So there you go. I peeked at the guide on GameFAQs more times than I want to admit, but I was fine with giving all my free time to this game for a while.

ucDlq0I.png

Sounds like your experience pretty well mirrored my own. Did you end up using the glitch to let you keep the jester? Dude was OP. 

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Sounds like your experience pretty well mirrored my own. Did you end up using the glitch to let you keep the jester? Dude was OP. 

Hah, no, I couldn't wait to get rid of that guy's nightmare of a face. I guess I didn't notice how good he was. I did do the glitch to keep the Magedrake Ring though.

I didn't end up figuring out a good way to get rich through alchemy, but there's a re-appearing pile of gold in Erromon that did the trick well enough. And after that money stops mattering because you get so much of it just from battles.

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Splain said:

Hah, no, I couldn't wait to get rid of that guy's nightmare of a face. I guess I didn't notice how good he was. I did do the glitch to keep the Magedrake Ring though.

I didn't end up figuring out a good way to get rich through alchemy, but there's a re-appearing pile of gold in Erromon that did the trick well enough. And after that money stops mattering because you get so much of it just from battles.

The trick with the jester is kinda weird cuz he still appears to fight you later in the game, despite being in your party lol. So you get these weird cutscenes - "You again!?!?"; bro he's been travelling with you this whole time!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I forgot to mention I used the ultra racer controller to play it, just for shits and giggles, and I actually really liked steering with it

I've been intending / forgetting to have a go with one of those for sometime now....  Have you played any other racing games with it?