IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

9 hours ago, BeaIank said:

The yearly reset is nice, but I feel that the usual suspects always go for the their usual games at the start of the year, clearing the famous games and never straying into strange waters. There needs to be something to incentivize these people to try new things.

That pattern also hurts new members participation because the famous games everyone plays are gone within hours or days of the thread being posted and they don't get the chance to beat a game they know well and feel part of the whole process because it was cleared right away. And they won't try the unusual games, usually.

I know I was guilty of often beating my favourites right after the bells of midnight, not letting people experience GnG, Ikari Warriors, Punch Out and others.

Would be nice to have something to incentivize or force the usual people into doing games other than their usual suspects.

This is why I don’t even bother with the NES one. Within the first week the regulars come in and complete a lot of the top tier games.

I like that we made a reservation system for N64, but I don’t know if that would work in all threads. It meant people could reserve games they’ve wanted to play and those who normally play them could try other games.

• Agree 4

Wow, a huge congrats to all the N64 players who kept the dream alive! It's beyond awesome to see the thread all done and dusted with time to spare, and it was tons of fun to participate. I'll definitely be dipping into the 2024 thread and playing all kinds of weird racers, whatever it ends up being. 👍

• Like 3

Events Helper · Posted
41 minutes ago, Brickman said:

This is why I don’t even bother with the NES one. Within the first week the regulars come in and complete a lot of the top tier games.

I like that we made a reservation system for N64, but I don’t know if that would work in all threads. It meant people could reserve games they’ve wanted to play and those who normally play them could try other games.

which goes to my, half points for the duplicate clears, what do you think about that and the 2 year timeframe for all regions?

7 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

which goes to my, half points for the duplicate clears, what do you think about that and the 2 year timeframe for all regions?

Yeah that’s a pretty good idea. Would we use this years clears as the reference for duplicate clears?

Do we have enough people here that can read Japanese? I’m not playing those Shogi games 😂 

I’ll play the Doraemon games if they are untranslated though. Or any other untranslated games that aren’t Japanese chess/Chinese checkers, card games etc.

Events Helper · Posted
20 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Yeah that’s a pretty good idea. Would we use this years clears as the reference for duplicate clears?

Do we have enough people here that can read Japanese? I’m not playing those Shogi games 😂 

I’ll play the Doraemon games if they are untranslated though. Or any other untranslated games that aren’t Japanese chess/Chinese checkers, card games etc.

i can't, and most likely won't spend my time playing japanese games, i would be working on the NA library for the ranking.  That being said, idk about how many folks could/would do the translations or non translations.  Kinda hard to gauge without trying it though......

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

i can't, and most likely won't spend my time playing japanese games, i would be working on the NA library for the ranking.  That being said, idk about how many folks could/would do the translations or non translations.  Kinda hard to gauge without trying it though......

@Splain has certainly peaked my interest with his rankings idea. I am looking forward to that for 2024 and am very eager to hear about how we will be going about it. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
3 minutes ago, Nugfish said:

@Splain has certainly peaked my interest with his rankings idea. I am looking forward to that for 2024 and am very eager to hear about how we will be going about it. 

i meant personal ranking 😉  i volunteered to play the entire library and rank it like @Reed Rothchild and the snes library.  I will be playing n64 regardless of what happens with the thread.  

Events Team · Posted

Not a lot of games that you can play on this thing with limited left hand movement, sadly. Late 2024 I will have a bionic hand and I will be able to play games with an arcade and I kinda want to beat some games for these threads just to feel that I can still do it.
I will figure out how I can help with the N64 in 2024.

image.png.234d53928b83c20c98dda5be53e14298.png

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Not a lot of games that you can play on this thing with limited left hand movement, sadly. Late 2024 I will have a bionic hand and I will be able to play games with an arcade and I kinda want to beat some games for these threads just to feel that I can still do it.
I will figure out how I can help with the N64 in 2024.

image.png.234d53928b83c20c98dda5be53e14298.png

I'm not sure if I've seen you post it elsewhere, but do you have a specific model already picked out? I'd love to read up on the capabilities. Accessibility has been a bit of a passion of mine for a while so I've got a lot of experience with different peripherals specifically for interfacing with computers, but have no experience with limbs.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
11 hours ago, Gloves said:

I'm not sure if I've seen you post it elsewhere, but do you have a specific model already picked out? I'd love to read up on the capabilities. Accessibility has been a bit of a passion of mine for a while so I've got a lot of experience with different peripherals specifically for interfacing with computers, but have no experience with limbs.

https://openbionics.com/hero-arm-grips/

This the one I have paid for so it will be a matter of fitting the silicone on the arm to my stump when I cut the useless biologic hand off.

I wanted an esper hand, but those were much more difficult to secure with the Ukranian war ongoing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can help with some of the text-heavy Japanese games. Unfortunately I don't know how to play Shogi or Mahjong. So unless there's a tutorial or something like that it's going to be very difficult. Alternatively you can just use Google Lens or whatever it's called with your phone to get rough translations of texts.

Editorials Team · Posted

Alright, it sounds like having a yearly thread is better than not, for the simple reason that it causes people to play more games, even if the actual goal is never reached. I'm down to do a 2-year thread for the full N64 library including JPN titles. I'll make the thread soon.

• Like 4