IGNORED

Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 303/303 -- BOOGIE DOWN

Splain

1 hour ago, Splain said:

Hah sorry, I've missed everything for a while now, I've been in the mountains. I might be able to get my compy connected to update the list.

Weird about Rush 2049. Tantalus you're the expert on what should be required moving forward. You definitely beat it, but do you feel like it was beaten before that last circuit? Are there races in the last circuit that aren't in the earlier ones? I'll poke around YouTube and see what I can figure out.

The beginner circuit is tracks 1-4, forwards and backwards (8 races)

Intermediate is tracks 1-5, forwards and backwards (10 races)

Expert is tracks 1-6, forwards and backwards (12 races)

Extreme is tracks 1-6, forwards, backwards, mirrored forwards, and mirrored backwards (24 races)

The only circuit unlocked on a new file is the beginner circuit and the others are all unlocked one by one.

So all that being, said, I don't think the mirrored variations are enough to justify having to beat the extreme circuit and I would be inclined to call it good after beating the beginner, intermediate, and expert circuits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 229/303
Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, ikk said:

I bought Hybrid Heaven last weekend and was trying to beat it before Pikmin 4 releases (tomorrow), but apparently it'll arrive today already.

I'm still gonna have to wait with Pikmin 4 until Hybrid Heaven is finished, aren't I... 😔

beat pikmin 4 then come back 😆.  I'm gonna beat the last of mission impossible, them play pikmin 4 kuz I'm close enough I should be good to beat it.  I was gonna play last night, but got distracted watching something else.

Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness beaten ( at least with Cornell / the first playthrough ). 

Kinda just randomly started playing this one in the morning.  It might be a bit rough around the edges, but I still think it's the best 3D Castlevania.  The balance of platforming and combat in CV64 and LOD feels more unique and closer to classic Castlevania than the other efforts.

LegacyOfDarkness.png

• Like 6

Hybrid Heaven is done, fun game that tried something new with the combat system.
During combat you and your opponent can freely move around each other while a bar fills up at which point you can open a menu to choose an attack or item. It's a fun system and it never gets tired to piledrive someone into the ground and continuously kick them while they're down 😇

j9YvKHOl.jpg

nk8P1fSl.jpg

vSB1dqfl.jpg

Now it's Pikmin 4 time! 😃

• Like 6

Events Helper · Posted
31 minutes ago, ikk said:

Hybrid Heaven is done, fun game that tried something new with the combat system.
During combat you and your opponent can freely move around each other while a bar fills up at which point you can open a menu to choose an attack or item. It's a fun system and it never gets tired to piledrive someone into the ground and continuously kick them while they're down 😇

j9YvKHOl.jpg

nk8P1fSl.jpg

vSB1dqfl.jpg

Now it's Pikmin 4 time! 😃

dang, I'm jealous, I won't get mine till tomorrow, got a cup as a pre-order though lol

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 231/303

I've had some extra time over the past few days. I probably could have put that to good use, but instead I decided to spend way too much of it playing through Top Gear Rally 2. I can see why it's worth as many points as it is. One of those games that feels harder than it should to artificially stretch out the playtime. Credits are available from the menu at any time - but I did get all the licences and got first in every race in every cup, which apparently unlocks a few extra cars for the versus mode. Hooray.

With that, I've played through every Top Gear game on the SNES and N64 this year. Not quite sure what to make of that, but I can say that the SNES ones are much, much better than the N64 ones.

TOP GEAR RALLY 2_0000.jpg

Edited by Tantalus
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, Tantalus said:

I've had some extra time over the past few days. I probably could have put that to good use, but instead I decided to spend way too much of it playing through Top Gear Rally 2. I can see why it's worth as many points as it is. One of those games that feels harder than it should to artificially stretch out the playtime. Credits are available from the menu at any time - but I did get all the licences and got first in every race in every cup, which apparently unlocks a few extra cars for the versus mode. Hooray.

With that, I've played through every Top Gear game on the SNES and N64 this year. Not quite sure what to make of that, but I can say that the SNES ones are much, much better than the N64 ones.

TOP GEAR RALLY 2_0000.jpg

I really enjoyed this game but got stuck on a level or two in the Intermediate cups and no matter what car or load out I tried I couldn’t beat it. Would be cool if you recorded this play through. I’ll have to look at the level I got stuck on and ask you what combo you used to beat it.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:38 AM, Brickman said:

I really enjoyed this game but got stuck on a level or two in the Intermediate cups and no matter what car or load out I tried I couldn’t beat it. Would be cool if you recorded this play through. I’ll have to look at the level I got stuck on and ask you what combo you used to beat it.

There were a few times where I wasn't sure I would be able to get through it all and was close to giving up.

I do recommend doing the licences, as they give "CP" which are what unlock new races, cars and parts. The right tires seem to have the biggest impact on races, though obviously other upgrades also become necessary.

I'm also convinced that there's some glitches in the programming. I was struggling with the snow races so I compared my set up to this guy's (he's been playing through the entire N64 library, including Japanese titles, and played Top Gear Rally 2 a few weeks ago): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1861733765?filter=archives&sort=time (starts with Mario Maker, then goes to Top Gear Rally 2 after the first hour). With the exact same car and parts, he was able to drive at ~115 on the snow, and I was stuck at ~85, though I could actually drive faster uphills and through corners than I could on straightaways. The snow tires were working only slightly better than road slicks. I tried multiple setups with multiple cars and nothing was working. I did the other races and eventually I unlocked the final car, upgraded it, and I could suddenly get traction in the snow and could finish those races.

18 minutes ago, Tantalus said:

There were a few times where I wasn't sure I would be able to get through it all and was close to giving up.

I do recommend doing the licences, as they give "CP" which are what unlock new races, cars and parts. The right tires seem to have the biggest impact on races, though obviously other upgrades also become necessary.

I'm also convinced that there's some glitches in the programming. I was struggling with the snow races so I compared my set up to this guy's (he's been playing through the entire N64 library, including Japanese titles, and played Top Gear Rally 2 a few weeks ago): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1861733765?filter=archives&sort=time (starts with Mario Maker, then goes to Top Gear Rally 2 after the first hour). With the exact same car and parts, he was able to drive at ~115 on the snow, and I was stuck at ~85, though I could actually drive faster uphills and through corners than I could on straightaways. The snow tires were working only slightly better than road slicks. I tried multiple setups with multiple cars and nothing was working. I did the other races and eventually I unlocked the final car, upgraded it, and I could suddenly get traction in the snow and could finish those races.

I'll have to check it out. Your issues were exactly what I ran into though so you could definitely be onto something with glitches in the programming. I really enjoyed the game until I ran into the tire issue. 

On 7/27/2023 at 1:46 AM, Tantalus said:

That streamer also makes synopsis video's explaining how he beat them and he just uploaded F1 World Grand Prix, which is apparently a decent game beatable in under 3,5hrs and still worth 5 points! 😜

Shadowgate is done:

3FUR1wBl.jpg

Unfortunately my cart wasn't in English and the Dutch translation is a bit rough at parts. Still had fun with it though.

70 games left, so we'd have to beat 14 games a month if we want to beat the library this year. Might be a bit tough with mostly long and/or hard games left.

• Like 4

Events Helper · Posted
20 hours ago, ikk said:

Shadowgate is done:

3FUR1wBl.jpg

Unfortunately my cart wasn't in English and the Dutch translation is a bit rough at parts. Still had fun with it though.

70 games left, so we'd have to beat 14 games a month if we want to beat the library this year. Might be a bit tough with mostly long and/or hard games left.

my plate is clear after tonight's dwr race, so Monday and Tuesday will be straight pikmin 4 and then I will hit n64 as hard as I can, get a final push started!!!!

• Like 1

I cleared out the Arcade mode of Rally Challenge 2000 - first place in all of the regular and mirror stages. Not a good game by any means, but once I started to get the hang of the handling, I actually had some fun with it.

I'm hoping to finish up Indy Racing 2000 in the coming days.

I also started on Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense - one character down and looks like 14?! to go. This one will be a while.

RALLYCHALLENGE_0003.jpg.bc4623ec7526607b390c825af40f9171.jpgRALLYCHALLENGE_0004.jpg.b58c5bae8c0f52a6cc736531f465ca4a.jpgRALLYCHALLENGE_0005.jpg.c0bd60809fd353b3b2c670777557cc05.jpgRALLYCHALLENGE_0006.jpg.bc94d950e25813f613bfaf7b0adabe71.jpg

• Like 6

• The title was changed to Beat Every N64 Game - 2023 - 236/303

Shadow Man is finally done!
I didn't really like this game, it's not bad but it just has so many annoying things. The controls and camera aren't good enough for the amount of platforming you need to do, you regularly get stuck on corners, the game randomly unequips your weapons (never mid-battle fortunately) and the temple of blood was designed by a masochist.
The worst thing is that you can lock onto enemies so you can strafe while shooting them, but the lock often disappears or doesn't actually lock on in the first place. This killed me way too often...

BUT the atmosphere is great, the writing is decent and I did have fun exploring deadside.

QGtUfval.jpg

UUtB67bl.jpg

NuQF9vvl.jpg

• Like 7

Mickey's Speedway USA is done. It is a very underrated game according to me, as I would consider it almost on par with Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing. It's one of the less known games made by Rareware for the N64 and it's truly a shame, as it's one of my favorite titles. The last cup, Frantic Finale, has two of the hardest tracks that gave me trouble on Professional difficulty: Oregon and Colorado. However, it's so satisfying winning these after grinding and trying again multiple times.

BTW, RetroMichel and his N64 are back. I'll tackle some more games!

Mickey's Speedway USA (1).jpg

Mickey's Speedway USA (4).jpg

Mickey's Speedway USA (3).jpg

Mickey's Speedway USA (2).jpg

• Like 8

1080° Snowboarding is done. It's a very challenging game, especially on Expert difficulty. I've played the different tracks with Kensuke Kimachi and it went pretty well having practiced in the training mode. I was reluctant to start this game at first, since I've remembered it as the game you're always falling in. That's still accurate to this very day, but I've managed to get better at landings and it went well for the most part. The music is iconic and the graphics are very impressive for 1998, especially the powder snow effects. It's a shame this series ended after Avalanche on the Nintendo Gamecube. We can say it went down the hill from there. 😉

Good game!

1080 Snowboarding (2).jpg

1080 Snowboarding (1).jpg

• Like 5